Skystar S2 USB problem

xtonys

Hi

I am trying to record from my two Technisat Skystar S2 USB tuners.

My system is

Win7 64bit

Latest v4.6 Technisat BDA drivers installed (the new Win7 driver (4.8?) seems to only find one of two USB tuners, so I use v4.6)

I have two dishes, each with quad lnbs feeding through 4 disecq 1.2 switches.

I can use Recording Service 1.9.3.0 with my Technisat Skystar S2 PCI card to record shows ok.

I want to also record from my two Technisat Skystar S2 USB tuners.

As a test, I disable the PCI tuner in Device Manager and give each USB tuner a direct, single feed - 1 dish per tuner to bypass disecq.

I can stream live channels from both USB tuners, but cannot record. (I watch the streams with DVBViewer Unicast Network Device and Sony SMP-N200 streamer)

In svchardware.xml, the PCI card vendor is 5. The USB tuners were vendor 10. I tried changing to 5, but still the same problem.

What can I do to fix this?

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Griga,

Thanks for the reply.

I did read the guides, but I could not see a support tool app or instructions to create it.

I have manually made a support.zip with all config files from C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer, which I hope has all the files you need?

I have installed SVC 1.9.4.1 today and ran the same tests as below with my SkyStar 2 HD PCi card (works fine) and both Skystar USB tuners.

Some progress - the USB tuners can now record from Diseqc A, but not from Diseqc B. (please see my satellite/switch cable config below)

Both USB tuners can switch between A and B when viewing/streaming live tv (DVBViewer uses Simple A/B for switching).

Please advise if you need any more information, otherwise I look forward to some ideas on how to fix this.

Technisat support told me to ignore the v4.7 BDA driver available through Win7 update, stay with v4.6 I have installed already.

Thanks

Tony

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=2210

see download link at the bottom of the page in big fat letters:

supporttool.zip

So hard to find?

Hi

I thought only Microsoft gave that sort of customer support? :)

Perhaps this tool could be included with the main application setup in future, and made available through start menu, so easy to find for non-technical people?

Anyway, done, zip attached.

Look forward to some help going forwards...

Thanks

support.zip

Edited by xtonys
In svchardware.xml, the PCI card vendor is 5. The USB tuners were vendor 10. I tried changing to 5

5 is definitely wrong for the USB devices. It must be 10, because it's a different hardware design. Your "Technisat Skystar S2 PCI" (as you call it) is no Technisat Skystar S2 PCI (that' a different PCI card, also with a different hardware design), but actually a SkyStar HD2, which actually is a relabeled AzureWave device. Your "Technisat Skystar S2 USB tuner" (as you call it) is actually a SkyStar USB HD created by TechniSat.

The TechniSat device names are quite confusing, and users who are giving them fantasy names :) make it even more confusing. Without a support.zip it's impossible to tell which devices are involved.

As a test, I disable the PCI tuner in Device Manager

Preferably disable a device in the Recording Service / DVBViewer / TransEdit hardware options, not in the Windows Device Manager! That's unnecessary and may even cause unwanted side effects.

I can stream live channels from both USB tuners, but cannot record.

What happens if you try?

Hı Griga

Thanks for the reply...

I will ensure correct names - I am learning this stuff :)

What happens if you try?

With 1.9.3.0, I could not record from either satellite dish using the SkyStar USB HD devices.

Today with 1.9.4.1, I can successfully record from Astra dish (Disecq SimpleA) on both SkyStar USB HD devices and the SkyStar HD 2 card.

Neither device will record from my Turksat dish (Disecq SimpleB). It appears to create a file which is visible in Explorer. However, when the test recordings finish the file disappears. As the recording is taking place, the file size remains 0kb, even after refreshing several times.

I can create and send you a log file as the scheduled test recording starts if it will help?

I want to double-check with you - is the SVC service using svchardware.xml?

And which file location is in use?

C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer

or

C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer

Can I delete the file not in use?

You will see from the file sent to you in support.zip that it lists a FireDTV card that has not been used in my system for about 2 years - can I delete this section from the file?

The hardware.xml file correctly lists my three current Technisat tuners.

Is there a way I can refresh/update svchardware.xml (if that is the file), with current installed tuners?

Or can I rename section headings of the file with device names I understand (the correct ones)?

Thanks for your patience as I learn about xml files, etc... I am getting there!

Thanks

Tony

is the SVC service using svchardware.xml?

The Recording Service is using svchardware.xml in C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer (the configuration folder)

You will see from the file sent to you in support.zip that it lists a FireDTV card

It's in svrhardware.xml, belonging to DVBServer.exe. If you are not using it, don't worry. If you are using DVBServer, then worry, because you shouldn't use it anymore. It's outdated. The Recording Service provides much better streaming capabilities.

Is there a way I can refresh/update svchardware.xml (if that is the file), with current installed tuners?

Use "Scan Devices", "Detect Devices" or whatever looks like performing a refresh in the hardware options.

Or can I rename section headings of the file with device names I understand (the correct ones)?

No-No. Don't. Hands off. Only edit configuration files if you know exactly what you're doing.

Today with 1.9.4.1, I can successfully record from Astra dish (Disecq SimpleA) on both SkyStar USB HD devices and the SkyStar HD 2 card.

Neither device will record from my Turksat dish (Disecq SimpleB).

First get well informed about DiSEqC by reading this:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit%20E/DiSEqC.html#Selection

Then rather use TransEdit for DiSEqC tests and let me know the results.

As far as it concerns the Recording Sevice, I can't help much, because I'm not using it. Someone else should take over...

First get well informed about DiSEqC by reading this:

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit%20E/DiSEqC.html#Selection

Ok, read it.

Within TransEdit, I setup the listed satellite Astra 2A (latest ini file from kingofsats) as Diseqc Simple A, and Turksat 2A/3A as Diseqc Simple B.

I can scan channels from Astra, then from Turksat fine with each tuner in turn. Within DVBViewer 4.9, the channels are stored as Freesat(A) using channel group A, and Turksat(B)using channel group B. Each channel group within DVBViewer has Diseqc Simple A or Simple B selected. It works fine for each tuner.

Each tuner device within DVBViewer hardware setup and within Recording Service hardware setup is ticked for A & B tuner groups.

- What config files does Recording Service reference to understand any diseqc settings for channel groups?

- Will it help Recording Service if I change from Simple A/B to PosA/OptA, PosA/OptB instead within TransEdit or DVBViewer - will this save to the channel config file(s) that Recording Service also references?

Having said all that, the skystar 2 hd card switches groups with current settings through Recording Service fine. Its only the 2 usb Skystar USB 2 HD devices have a switching problem.

If the usb devices consistently didnt switch, then I would assume they cant handle diseqc tone burst, but they work.

Does recording service reference any of these files 0282.ini, 0420.ini, exported Freesat HD(A).ini, Turksat(B ).ini? The last two files contain diseqc information per stored channel. Diseqc 1 or 2 in case of my files.

If I change Simple A to PosA/OptA, will this save to one of these ini files and be used by recording service?

What config files does Recording Service reference to understand any diseqc settings for channel groups?

The DVBViewer channellist (channels.dat).

Does recording service reference any of these files 0282.ini, 0420.ini, exported Freesat HD(A).ini, Turksat(B ).ini?

No. They are just for scanning.

If the usb devices consistently didnt switch, then I would assume they cant handle diseqc tone burst, but they work.

Are you sure that your switches are old toneburst switches without DiSEqC 1.0 support? If yes, sell them to a museum :)

TransEdit 3.8.3 with Vendor=10 (see TransEdit.ini, [Hardware] section) uses a DiSEqC interface that does not explicitely support Simple A/B, so it is substituted by the according Pos/Opt commands. Maybe the driver does its own DiSEqC magic in the background, who knows... but with Vendor=10 the Recording Service should use the same interface in the same way!

The USB tuners were vendor 10. I tried changing to 5

Have you changed it back?

As alternative you may try the following:

- Stop the Recording Service.

- Edit the file svchardware.xml in C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer and change the Vendor values for the USB tuners from 10 to 33.

- Save the changes and start the Recording Service.

10 is more tailored for the USB tuners and provides DiSEqC 1.2 support under Windows 7 and XP. DVBViewer is using 33 (according to your hardware.xml) because the DVBViewer 4.9 hardware database is not fully up-to-date. Vendor=33 lets the Recording Service / DVBViewer / TransEdit use a DiSEqC interface intended as fallback if no device/driver-specific method is known. In your case the fallback is the "official" BDA DiSEqC interface introduced by Microsoft with Windows 7.

Are you sure that your switches are old toneburst switches without DiSEqC 1.0 support? If yes, sell them to a museum :)

I have 3 of these switches and a fourth thats about 2 years old...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120699266842&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

Smart Titanium Diseqc Switch 2x1 combiner

...so I guess the driver is doing some background translation work then to Pos/Opt.

Have you changed it back?

When I checked C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\hardware.xml, the vendor for both usb tuners are 33.

When I checked C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\svchardware.xml, its an old file. It lists that FireDTV card from 2 years ago, and some dvblink tuners I remember trying out about 2 years ago. I also checked C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\svchardware.xml, its also an old file dated 16/11/10!

So if I understand this right, DVBViewer uses hardware.xml and works fine.

Recording Service is using svchardware.xml, but the file and info in it is 2 years old.

- What can I do to refresh the svchardware.xml file? I have 2 instances, so should I delete one and update other one?

The hardware config within recording service (through systray or online config) show the 3 correct tuners.

Edited by Griga
Wrong quoting corrected
Recording Service is using svchardware.xml, but the file and info in it is 2 years old.

Not the svchardware.xml in your support.zip. It's correct and up-to-date. The old one containing the FireDTV entry is svrhardware.xml, belonging to DVBServer.exe, not to the Recording Service, as already stated above :rolleyes:Please take a close look at it. One letter is different!

Delete xxxhardware.xml files in the DVBViewer installation directory, if you like. But not in the configuration folder C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer, except if you want to force recreation!

Not the svchardware.xml in your support.zip. It's correct and up-to-date. The old one containing the FireDTV entry is svrhardware.xml, belonging to DVBServer.exe, not to the Recording Service, as already stated above :rolleyes:Please take a close look at it. One letter is different!

Delete xxxhardware.xml files in the DVBViewer installation directory, if you like. But not in the configuration folder C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer, except if you want to force recreation!

I am trying to do this over logmein, so letters are a bit small!

I last tried the DVB server in 2010, so dont need the svrhardware files, so deleted them.

Right, changed from vendor 10 to 33. Tested...works fine now :)

I got there in the end!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Griga

Can you help again please?

Since our last conversation, my Skystar HD2 card has been working great with DVBViewer directly (as in not via unicast or recording service).

When I installed v4.95 recently, I keep getting application not responding when I change channels, which means I have to crash out of DVBViewer and try again.

When I installed v4.96 a few days ago, I still keep getting application not responding, but also with the Skystar HD2 card, I lost a load of working channels.

Just to check the fault, I connected the satellite cable from my Skystar HD2 into my Skystar USB HD and also a regular decoder box. All channels still working.

I installed DVBViewer TE from Technisat CD and installed the update. I can pick up all the channels fine with Skystar HD2.

Also since upgrading recording service a few days ago, I cannot record on any channels using the Skystar HD2.

V4.911 and rec svc 1.9.5.3 has resulted in Skystar HD2 being able to record fine with recording service, but it seems to have lost sensitivity when scanning channels in DVBViewer - it does not detect some working channels, even with In-Depth tuning. I cleared the channel list in DVBViewer TE and rescanned with Skystar HD2 and it can see all channels fine.

Also I noticed DVBViewer TE suggests using Direct X for video display type instead of EVR, VMR.. I cant find this option with latest DVBViewer?

I setup a hotkey for Rebuild Graph. Today, every time DVBViewer hangs on a channel change (or stopping playback of a recording to live TV), I rebuild the graph and it starts the live TV channel again.

Hope this helps.

I have attached the support.zip for you...

Hopefully this can be fixed pretty easy, so I dont have to go backwards to v4-8?!

The channels in question that cannot be scanned anymore are on Astra 1N/2A/2D / Eutelsat (was Eurobird). Signal strength is 60%+ and quality is %75-92% depening on channel.

Thanks

Tony

support.zip

Hi Griga

Can you help again please?

Since our last conversation, my Skystar HD2 card has been working great with DVBViewer directly (as in not via unicast or recording service).

When I installed v4.95 recently, I keep getting application not responding when I change channels, which means I have to crash out of DVBViewer and try again.

When I installed v4.96 a few days ago, I still keep getting application not responding, but also with the Skystar HD2 card, I lost a load of working channels.

Just to check the fault, I connected the satellite cable from my Skystar HD2 into my Skystar USB HD and also a regular decoder box. All channels still working.

I installed DVBViewer TE from Technisat CD and installed the update. I can pick up all the channels fine with Skystar HD2.

Also since upgrading recording service a few days ago, I cannot record on any channels using the Skystar HD2.

V4.911 and rec svc 1.9.5.3 has resulted in Skystar HD2 being able to record fine with recording service, but it seems to have lost sensitivity when scanning channels in DVBViewer - it does not detect some working channels, even with In-Depth tuning. I cleared the channel list in DVBViewer TE and rescanned with Skystar HD2 and it can see all channels fine.

Also I noticed DVBViewer TE suggests using Direct X for video display type instead of EVR, VMR.. I cant find this option with latest DVBViewer?

I setup a hotkey for Rebuild Graph. Today, every time DVBViewer hangs on a channel change (or stopping playback of a recording to live TV), I rebuild the graph and it starts the live TV channel again.

Hope this helps.

I have attached the support.zip for you...

Hopefully this can be fixed pretty easy, so I dont have to go backwards to v4-8?!

The channels in question that cannot be scanned anymore are on Astra 1N/2A/2D / Eutelsat (was Eurobird). Signal strength is 60%+ and quality is %75-92% depening on channel.

Thanks

Tony

Hi

As an update

I uninstalled DVBViewer 4.9.6.11. - The uninstall showed the licence key dialogue box and required closing about 10 times before it started to uninstall.

Moved the C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer folder and C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer folder to D drive.

Did a clean reinstall of 4.9.6.11 - I can now scan all channels fine with Skystar HD2.

However I still get lock-ups changing channel, particularly switching to/from HD (H264) to SD channels. I reinstated the hotkey to rebuild graph, but this no longer helps.

What can I do?

Revised support.zip attached, as its probably different to one I posted yesterday.

Tony

support.zip