Aspect Ratio

Problem with Aspect ratio

I have been puzzled by the reaction of the aspect ratio settings.

I have just done a fresh install with DVBViewer 4.9.6.11 to be sure nothing is left over from other installs.

Not too sure if anything else is lurking in the registry.

When I choose "Auto" or "16:9" for aspect ratio I get the correct size picture on the screen (with the black bars top & bottom).

So I can zoom 50% or 100% and all works well (see picture via link below).

Now this will display a black bar on top & bottom when the transmission is 1440 by 1088 (BBC One HD & ITV 1 HD in the UK).

Now I used to use best width (I think this was OK in 4.9.5 of DVB)and that worked fine.

When I do best width now (with 4.9.6.x ) the screen is expanded to 1920 Horizontally and 1088 vertically (my monitor is 1920 by 1240).

What I want to achieve is to keep the original picture intact (ie resize by just taking the black bars off) to size 1440 by 800 (which is the actual picture size).

According to the manual:

Auto: The DVBViewer automatically sets the aspect ratio according to the data transmitted with the TV picture. This is the default setting, which will give good results with most broadcasts.

Does this mean best picture without the black bars??

Looking at support.zip

TweaksPro.ini section 27 describes this:

[27]

Section=Display

Ident=BestHeight

Type=Boolean

Default=0

Caption=Best window size only by changing the height

CaptionG=Beste Fenstergröße nur durch Änderung der Höhe

Description=Affects the automatic video window adjustment to the current aspect ratio. On: The window size is only adjusted by changing the height. Off: Either the height (for 4:3 monitors) or the width (for non 4:3 monitors) is changed.

So the question is: Is there a way to get 1440 by 800 (so I need to loose just the black bars) picture size on a 1440 by 1088 (16:9 transmission).

Many Thanks

I enclose support.zip

Pictures are here:

See pictures

Edited by fxv1

Tried that as well, that just strecthes the picture to fill the black bars ending with everything stretched vertically. So everything looks tall.

What I want is for the 1440 by 1088 transmission to end at 1440 by 800 (which is the picture portion, ie 1 to 1 pixels)

Frank

1440 x 1080/1088 needs to be watched at 16:9 ratio or it will be distorted. What kind of screen are you watching on?

Edited by dvbrewer

1440 x 1080/1088 needs to be watched at 16:9 ratio or it will be distorted. What kind of screen are you watching on?

Yes looks fine when watched at 16:9 (or Auto).

But how to remove the black bars.

I am watching on a 1920 by 1240 monitor. (HP ZR42w)

I am watching on a 1920 by 1240 monitor.

It will be either an undistorted picture with correct AR=16/9 and black bars or a full screen without bars but with a slightly vertically strechted picture. For the latter you have to select AR -> None

Yes looks fine when watched at 16:9 (or Auto).

But how to remove the black bars.

I am watching on a 1920 by 1240 monitor. (HP ZR42w)

Use a zoom preset i.e. right click>zoom>recall drag to where you want, you can set a remote button to cycle through the zoom presets (recalls).

It will be either an undistorted picture with correct AR=16/9 and black bars or a full screen without bars but with a slightly vertically strechted picture. For the latter you have to select AR -> None

Have messed around with the zoom presets, still experimenting.

By the way any idea how to relate to the values in the actions.ini file

Zoomlevel Standard=16389

Zoomlevel 0=16390

Zoomlevel 1=16391

Zoomlevel 2=16392

Zoomlevel 3=16393

Zoomlevel Toggle=16394

so my target here is to set one zoom at 1440 by 800

Thanks

Frank