odd behaviour of Brightness control

hugh2

This affects all versions of GE and Pro that I've tried since 2007.

Has anyone else noticed that the brightness control behaves strangely? I'm concerned that it might be a peculiarity of my display adapter (Intel GMA X3000), but the default position* of the control in DVBViewer Pro (4.9.6.11), ie. *not* exactly halfway between +100 and -100 as you would expect, leads me to suspect that this is a known issue.

I'm not quite sure how do describe how it behaves, and I thought a graph of brightness versus slider position would be helpful (I was going to write a program to generate it) but I realized that the Display settings only work for the Overlay renderer, so it's impossible to read pixel values via software. Anyway if I were to plot brightness versus slider position, it would not be a linear function -- in fact it would not even be a monotonic (only increasing) function!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

* I mean the position it moves to when you click "Default" if the Overlay renderer is selected.

Tuner = Compro VideoMate TV SAA7133/35, Hybrid Capture Device; driver version 1.3.7.8 dated 1/09/2008

Mainboard = Intel DG965WH with chipset G965 Express (but DXVA is not enabled in ffdshow)

"graphics card" = integrated Intel GMA X3000; driver version 6.14.10.5016 dated 12/12/2008

support.zip

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/31185-DVBViewer-40/

For overlay is a brightness value from 750 correct and for VMR/EVR you need 0.

OK, that suggests that it *is* a peculiarity of my display adapter. Funnily enough, that changelog entry says "Thanks @Griga" but the Griga Edition doesn't implement this default value!

I still don't understand why brightness-as-a-function-of-slider-position is so strange though.

The handling depends on the video renderer and the information that it exposes. The VMR 9 / Custom Renderer (in DVBViewer Pro) allows to adjust the slider behaviour to non-linear brightness values. Overlay doesn't.

BTW: Your decoder settings are still "System Default" throughout. Should be changed to avoid unexpected results. Imagine another software that installs additional decoders in your system as new default without informing you, and you wonder why DVBViewer GE suddenly goes bananas...

The handling depends on the video renderer and the information that it exposes. The VMR 9 / Custom Renderer (in DVBViewer Pro) allows to adjust the slider behaviour to non-linear brightness values. Overlay doesn't.

But only my Overlay renderer allows changing display settings at all (and produces strange behaviour).

BTW: Your decoder settings are still "System Default" throughout.

That's because I got lazy and reposted the same support.zip that I made earlier ;) I figure this issue isn't about my decoders anyway.