Playing certain flac-files

foefelken

support.zipLast few weeks i ript and converted my CD-collection using Exact Audio Copy V1.0 beta 3 (link : EAC).

All rips went OK and most of them play OK with DVBViewer however, for some reason on some of them DVBViewer "hangs".

In appendix you find the support.zip ; this zip was made after playing two different flac-files with DVBViewer in Debug-mode.

For your information : the files give no problems with Windows-Media-player and VLC-Media-Player.

Edited by foefelken

There is no explicit Flac support in DVBViewer, which means, playback is delegated to the DirectShow system. It selects the source and decoder filter. That's why there is not much about it in the Debug.log. Looks like AC3 Filter 2.1a came in as decoder. The support for Flac decoding is quite new, maybe it is not stable yet, dunno... but often, if file playback hangs, it is due to the source resp. splitter filter, that "understands" the file format, extracts the audio data and passes it on to the decoder.

Would be interesting to know which one it was. The Debug.log only contains the filename (only one Flac filename, by the way, nothing about a second playback attempt). Maybe the View -> Filters menu reveals the secret. It lists all currently used DirectShow filters, and if the filename menu item is enabled, it allows to open the source filter's property page, that will tell you more...

VLC-Media-Player

...doesn't use DirectShow, but built-in decoders.

Hello Griga,

Tried View -> Filters menu with a song that does not hangs DVBViewer ; i got the following 4 items :

- Default Directsound Device

- Audio Callback (grayed out - impossible to select)

- AC3 Filter ; click results in opening AC3-Filter-settings (2.1a)

- "Name of the song playing" ; click results in opening LAV-Filter Settings window (0.50.05)

To be clear ;

- most song-rips give no problem

- the song rips that give a problem results in the following ;

- plays until the end, then DVBViewer stops playing

- during playing the "problem-song", changing the volume or doing something else with DVBViewer is impossible

Also re-ript a song that gives problem ; same result.

Before installing AC3-Filter 2.1a i used the older one (no 7.1 etc...) ; the problem was the same.

Greetings.

Before installing AC3-Filter 2.1a i used the older one (no 7.1 etc...) ; the problem was the same.

So a different decoder was used before, and chances are that the LAV splitter is causing the problem. Flac playback solely depends on the DirectShow source filter / splitter / decoder, not on DVBViewer, as already pointed out. You may want to try this combined source filter / decoder.

So a different decoder was used before, and chances are that the LAV splitter is causing the problem. Flac playback solely depends on the DirectShow source filter / splitter / decoder, not on DVBViewer, as already pointed out. You may want to try this combined source filter / decoder.

Thanks, downloaded and installed ; same problem ; DVBViewer still "hangs" on certain songs.

Same Vieuw->filters items exept the fourth, that now opens the MadFlac-Window.

Call me stupid (or something else) but why does DVBViewer hangs ?

Note : even when the LAV-filters where not installed, so only AC3-filter and FLAC-Codec, DVBViewer "hanged".

Dunno. Can you create a short sample (10 seconds or so) and upload it somewhere?

Griga, see your message-box.

Ok, I can reproduce it now, and I know why DVBViewer crashes resp. ends up in an infinite loop with maximum CPU load. It is not caused by playback, but happens when DVBViewer tries to read the tags included in the file. After removing them with Mp3tag DVBViewer plays the file quite happily.

I will pass it on to Lars, and I'm sure it will be fixed.