BBC Three & Four Problem

armpowered

Hi,

As a newcomer to DVBViewer maybe I've missed something but I've had a problem recording programs from BBC Three and BBC Four. The recording service tries to start the recording then fails to find any data so retries every 60 seconds (as per config) until the end of the timer schedule (creating new .ts/.log/.txt files each time). This has happened on 2 systems, one with Nebula card & Blackgold BGT3620 the other with just a Blackgold BGT3650 but doesn't happen every time.

I've spotted an older thread about BBC 3/4 epg but no mention of recording, I assume it's related to the sharing of PIDs(?) with the CBBC/Cbeebies channels, have bought the MHEG plugin to see what that does (though I presume irrelevant for recording service) and have just been to DVBViewer Pro and selected BBC Four to get a part MHEG (that is the data info stuff?) with Cbeebies playing behind.

Does anyone know of a tweak required to get this to work - do I need to retune when BBC3/4 are on air (though the channels are there already), does anyone else have this problem or have reliable recording from BBC3/4?

TIA

Every time I've re-tuned during the day, I've had a problem picking these up channels as evidenced by the lack of EPG info.

The channel "header" is picked up, but not the pids etc. If you look at the Channel EPG in the web interface, you won't see any information for these two.

But if you then do a scan (or use TransEdit) when they're transmitting i.e. after 7pm, you will get the correct pid info. If you have more than one tuner (e.g. BlackGold) you can run both TransEdit and DVBV up at the same time and copy the information from TransEdit across to DVBV.

After that, do an epg search (Tasks>Start EPG Search) via the Web IF and all should work ok after that.

BTW: I've attached a screengrab of my setup if that helps

• 3 weeks later...

But if you then do a scan (or use TransEdit) when they're transmitting i.e. after 7pm, you will get the correct pid info. If you have more than one tuner (e.g. BlackGold) you can run both TransEdit and DVBV up at the same time and copy the information from TransEdit across to DVBV.

Thanks, I thought I'd tried that but one system had nonsense PIDs etc., a retune seems to have sorted it. Oddly the EPG was working fine before.

For Three and Four, you need to do the scan when these channels are broadcasting. In other time, they're detected as radio stations.

Oddly, I didn't have problems recording them. Service would just split the recording due to channel data change.

For Three and Four, you need to do the scan when these channels are broadcasting.

Not necessarily. You need to untick the "Only active channels" in the DVBViewer Pro scanner window resp. tick "Inactive Channels" in the TransEdit scanner window.

In other time, they're detected as radio stations.

Here DVBViewer Pro detects them correctly as TV channels (Freesat). However, all PIDs are set to 0, because this information is not broadcasted while the channels are inactive. DVBViewer updates the PIDs automatically when the channels are active and you switch over to them, provided Channel -> Auto-Update Channel is switched on and the Service ID stored in the channellist is correct (see Channellist Editor), because it is the "anchor" for everything else.

Things may be different with DVB-T/T2 in the UK - I can't check it. Use the TransEdit Analyzer if you want to know exactly what's going on. Active channels are listed in the PAT and SDT - Actual sections, inactive channels only in the SDT - Actual (without PID information requiring a PAT entry). If they are flagged as "Digital Television" in the Service Descriptor subnode of the SDT service entry, the scanner will detect them as TV channels.