Recorder not working for Non-Administrators

segler

Hi,

I have just installed DVBViewer V2.2 RC1 under WinXP SP1 HomeEdition. Installation was done as administrator. Everything works fine as long as I log-on as administrator :o

In case I log-on as a regular user (no admin rights) the recorder buttons in the symbol bar as well as the respective entries in the menu "DVBViewer" are disabled and no recording is possible :(

Also closing the DVBViewer is not possible (I have to kill it via the task manager) :(

When searching the forum I found several issues with running the DVBViewer as non-administrator, but non of these tracks helped me to solve this particular problem.

Any help is welcome ! ;)

Thanks,

segler :P

Well, it *is* possible to run the DVBViewer Pro as a non-admin user, but you have to do quite a lot of things... since two years I try to convince the programmer to make it easier, but to no avail up to now ;) , probably because there are not enough users complaining about it. However, I managed to configure the whole thing in a way that works under WinXP Home.

Please read everything about this topic in the manual first. However, the explanations given there are a bit outdated. Additionally, WinXP Home only allows to change file access rights in safe mode, which is quite unconvenient. So I'd propose the following steps, which make it a bit easier:

- Change the access rights for the two registry keys, as described in the manual.

- Move all files from DVBViewer\Filters to another folder (as described in the manual), so that the DVBViewer doesn't find them anymore.

- Register the ax-files in the new folder. You may follow the description in the manual, or use the RadLight Filter Manager: Just click "Register", select one of the files and click "Open". Repeat this for each ax-File in the new folder. You have to do this with admin rights, of course.

Take care that the DVBViewer *never* sees any ax-files in its Filters folder again, when it is running with admin rights, especially after having updated the DVBViewer Pro. If an update provides any new filters, you'll have to move and register them too.

- Now, in order to avoid messing around with file access rights, install the DVBViewer Pro *additionally* in the non-admin user profile (somewhere under documents and settings\...). In this installation, simply delete all files in the Filters folder. You can repeat this in other user accounts, if you want. It's no problem to have the DVBViewer installed more than once.

After this procedure it will (hopefully) work. If not, post again...

P.S. If you understand German, you can additionally read this (updated version of the description in the English Manual).

Edited by Griga

Thanks for the rapid response !

I already did everything you described - except the additional installation(s) in the non-admin user profiles.

I'll try that within the next days and let you know the outcome !

Thanks again,

Segler