UPnP Server

ThomZenDK

Hello!

Ive been using DVBViewer and recording service for a while, and i just got interested in getting the UPnP server to work over internet also...

Im using iOS, and the app AirPlayer, to acess the server, and it just works like a charm..

If I in the Airplayer app go to details about the "DVBViewer Media Server", it says i can acess the server from http://ip.ip.ip.ip:8889/description.html

(Ofcoruse replace ip.ip.ip.ip with my external IP, and i have also mapped ports in the router (and i have other port mappings running, and woking, so the problem isnt mapping ports..))

But if i try the external server, in Airplayer i can just click it, and nothing happends...

-Anyone have a good idea what is wrong, or am i not supposed to connect to the UPnP server over internet?

Regards! :=)

Edited by ThomZenDK

Lars_MQ,

is there an alternative to get full quality video stream via the internet?

I know that the internet connection can handle it because when I use DVBViewer on my laptop I have no problem to connect and watch full quality (even HD channels) connecting directly to the RecService.

The question is how can I do the same on my tablet (Galaxy Tab 8.9")?

Also the PC with the RecService is very powerful and I'd like to avoid any reencoding that will tax it much.

As long as you use your tablet within your wlan, you can use a UPnP player software, which is capable to play back the needed file formats (TS mpeg2/h264 for DVB).

In this case it pure depends on the tablet, if the playback is possible.

Lars,

I'm explicitly asking about the case when I'm not withing my WLAN.

Is there any solution for this?

Couldn't there be an option ... or a "profile" in the RecService web interface to "skip transcoding" ... or "direct stream"?

And just add the needed headers so it will be a "normal" http stream.

I might be talking nonsense here because my knowledge of these thing is very limited ... if at all present ... but I feel there should be a solution.

you can use the webinterface (not the iphone one!) and use directstreaming. But I doubt you have enough constant bandwidth for this (using a mobile connection).

And additionally: Mobile flatrates are normally volume flat rates, you might take this into consideration also. 50 minutes SD TV/Recording (mpeg2) are about 1 GB...

Lars,

I'll try this (direct streaming) later today and report back. I just want to clarify that I will not use a mobile connection but a WiFi one just not the one at my home that's why I said "via the internet".

Lars,

I apologize for the late reply but I had a failure of the PC that hosts the DVB card and I had to buy a new motherboard

:(

Now that it's up and running again I tested your suggestion and it didn't work but I think it should with a little help.

Here is what I've tried:

1. Using the web interface I downloaded the .m3u file (either for a single channel (direct stream) or for the full channel list) and sadly none of the players on my Android device (Samsung Galaxy S2) could open it. I've tried the following ones

Daroon Player

DICE Player Ad.

MX Player

Winamp

At the same time if I open the .m3u file in a text editor and copy the URL

http://X.X.X.X:7522/upnp/channelstream/9.ts

and open it manually in MX Player (my preferred player) it works just fine ... well only if I only use the internal IP address of the DVB PC.

Is there any chance to have this address as a direct link - not as a .m3u file?

Or is there another solution for Android devices?

2. As I mentioned earlier opening the direct stream (.ts) only works when I use the internal IP address of the DVB PC. I suppose this kind of normal because I have a router that only forwards explicitly added ports. The problem is that I enabled forwarding port 7522 and it still doesn't work. Do you know what else should I do?

3. I've been also using a DLNA client application on my SGS2 called SoftMedia Player which allows me to have a nice (touch optimized) channel list and direct streaming at the same time and I was wondering if there is an alternative solution that could work over the internet. This "player" actually doesn't play the content itself but simply starts your favorite video player (MX Player in my case) with a network stream from an URL like this

http://X.X.X.X:7522/upnp/channelstream/mimevideo%2Fmpeg/00009.ts@dlna=DLNA%2EORG%5FPN...................

so if I find a solution for problem 2. it should be possible, right?

In general is there a Wiki ... or some other guide explaining all those things and focusing on Android devices?

I really apologize for asking all these question but I did try to find the information myself and failed.

Edited by pankov