DVBViewer Recording Service 1.9.7.0 & Samsung UE55ES8090

mrr19121970

At best the TV gives an error message saying there is no playable content. Worst is the TV crashes and hast to be restarted.

LOG file attached with UPNP debugging enabled.

support.zip

Looking at the English and German forums, it seems I'm not alone in this DVBViewer & Samsung TV issue. I'm wondering if there is any further information I can provide the DEVS to fix this issue?

IMO there's nothing to fix, simply DLNA isn't UPnP but a special and specific subset of it, while RS is "only" UpnP, not DLNA...

In simple words, DLNA can be defined as “UPnP A/V with restrictions“. Using plain UPnP A/V, a server can share any kind of file (being binary, audio file, video file, text file like subtitle, or even a Word or PowerPoint presentation, whatever …). All it does after all, is sharing a file through HTTP with its associated MIME type, just like any HTTP server (Apache …) would do. It was then up to the client/player to determine whether or not it can handle the stream. This was quite too simple for DLNA folks. They have decided that only a numerous number of files are worth being shared. As a result, they’ve decided to restrict the protocol so that only some specific file extensions, but also containers and audio/video codecs combination can be used.
source

...obviously I also whould be happy if RS will become DLNA compilant too...

:bye:

Thanks for that link. I wasn't really aware there was a differnce. I tried another DVB live streaming software which is DLNA compliant and the works now. Shame that DVBViewer Recording Service can not also stream DLNA, as this would then be the icing on the cake.

Update

According to the WIKI SamsungTVs are supported. Source

Der Service enthält einen UPnP/DLNA AV Server mit dem LiveTV, Aufnahmen, Filme, Musik oder Photos an UPnP/DLNA fähige Geräte (Samsung TV, Sony PS3 etc.) oder Programme (z.B. xbmc) gestreamt werden können
Edited by mrr19121970

That seem a (too) reduced version of a old RS changelog (source) that more frankly say:

Add: UPnP: The Recording Service can now stream via UPnP/DLNA AVI, MKV, WMV and ASF files too.

◦There is no transcoding, it depends on the player if the files can be played.

Sometimes certain parameters need to be adjusted for some devices so they work correctly. As example the SamsungTV needs a special mime type so it can play mkv files.

These adjustments/settings will have to be examined and created on a case by case basis.

This will take place in the forum. Currently tested with a Samsung LCD TV, Popcorn Hour A100/A200 and PS3 (no mkv possible).

I'm sure you well know that "Samsung LCD TV" are based on many different kind of HW and SW, even inside the same series, and - indeed - Lars talk about "a" Samsung LCD TV, not "all" Samsung LCD TV; ...so most probably your TV unluckily fall in later cases: "certain parameters need to be adjusted..." and "These adjustments/settings will have to be examined on a case by case basis" and so on...

Can't find ATM, but I seem to remember that someone has already posted a parameter list for his specific TV set...

Good news from RS 1.10 changelog:

•Fix: UPnP: Fix for Samsung E Series doesn't display the UPnP lists.

Hope that fix also for your TV...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...