Special Unicode characters keep changing around in size

majstang

Even though this issue may be Chrome related I would like to ask around cuz there's many knowledgeable guys in here. I have a problem with the unicode stars being displayed in RS using Chrome, they keep changing in size from time to time, despite me always using the same size settings 100% zoom, size 3 RS Timeline and default RS display size. The other event/subtitle text (for series) is fixed in size and doesn't change around. Only unicode special characters does. Here's a screendump illustrating the problem. Chrome in the background has 100% zoom and RS Timeline is set to size 3 (from smallest size three clicks on A+ button) and same settings for the IE9 in foreground. Notice how the unicode stars are significant smaller in Chrome. Yesterday they had the same size in both browsers :wacko: Perhaps automatic Chrome updates has something to do with it. Anyone heard of such troubles before?

post-56433-0-54094800-1340749701_thumb.jpg

Edited by majstang
  • 4 weeks later...

I do not have those stars on mine in chrome.

It's easy to add star-ratings (for both movies and series) if you wanna have em. You only need WebGrab+Plus (latest version) and XEPG (using the Format Editor). I have reported the issue to the Chrome guys, but unfortunately they can't reproduce the issue. They think some enviroment setting causes it. RS do overrride the default Chrome fonts and font sizes, but I have the issue also on other unrelated external sites. Don't think RS makes any changes for the Chrome browser in the registry, so it's a mystery at the moment. My issue got the status "Untriaged" which probably means nothing can be done until it can be reproduced.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=136236&thanks=136236&ts=1341684632

Turns out if installing the "Arial Unicode MS" font (not included in a default Windows 7 install) either manually or via MS Office (gets installed by default) that is when Chrome show up these differences. The earlier default font for unicode symbols gets replaced by the Arial Unicode MS font automatically and there is no way to change/control it from Chrome settings. In other words a deficiency in the Chrome browser and it has nothing to do with RS :) Seems IE9 is more resilient in that regard.