Build TV server on WHS2011 - good idea?

Freddan101

I'm planning on abandoning my old NAS to build a new machine that would act as both media and TV server. I would like to have Windows Home Server 2011 as OS but I don't know how well DVBViewer works on top of it. As frontends I will use XBMC on aTVs.

Any thoughs on this or experience from own installations?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I use WHS (not 2011) as a server to run the recording service. I have DVB-S (with diseqc)and DVB-T tuners installed. I use DVBViewer as the client on other machines which allows me full control of channels, recording etc.

I also use a DVB-S2 and DVB-S card in my media centre, usually with DVBViewer as the fornt end but sometimes WMCE7. I can also use the unicast virtual tuners in my WHS to give me 4 tuners in the media centre should I need them

Edited by rubberfingers

Thanks for your reply, rubberfingers. I went ahead and reinstalled my old NAS with WHS2011 and will have a dedicated TV server instead, probably running Windows 7. But good to know that a setup with WHS works well with DVBViewer for any future projects. :)