RS 1.10 Email Notifications improvement suggestion

Hello,

first let me thank you for implementing Email notifications to DVBViewer Recording Service. It is such a great feature.

I have an idea I'd like to see in some next RS version to make this feature even better.

It'd be great if it would possible to differentiate mail subject based on the fact whether recording finished succesfully and when there is something wrong with it.

User could then easily see status of the recording from the subject and wouldn't need to read email message itself (very useful if you have lot of recordings)

Some scenarios that could be considered:

Discontinuites > 0 or user configurable value

Total size < user configurable value

Average Data Rate < user configurable value

Recording didn't finish properly because running out of disk space

What do you think?

Excellent improvement sending emails.

I also think it would be interesting to send emails when start recording. I have a HTPC in standby and would know that has been resumed and I know when it is back to standby with the email of the end of the recording.

Thanks!

Dani

Mail at recording start can be done.

The error scenarios are not really that usefull. Disconties are listet in the email, I could add a out of disk space error line.

The other "triggers" are simply way too complicated, because it would be a per timer setting and this would mean a lot of changes for so little to gain...

Hi Lars, you are right that per timer setting would overcomplicate things.

Regarding discontinuities I made mail filter to tag the mail when it arrives to the client, that's ok to me actually.

Adding out of disk space error line to mail I could do the same, so please add it if possible.

But adding a filter rule for low size recordings (not properly inicialized CAM or bugged RS which has to be restarted) is little more complicated. I guess something like Average Data Rate: 0,0 or Average Data Rate: 0,1 will do it too. Need some testings.

I have no problem adding additional content to the emails as long as it's doable. And I have no problems adding additional triggers as long as it's reasonable (sending 100 emails because the 1 minute no data rule was triggered is NOT an option). ;)

This is the start of the notification system. There is of course a lot of room for improvements.

I personally aim to expand this to a kind of reminder system. Be it as an additional property to a (recording) timer or a completely new timer type.

This kind of timer sends at a predefined time a reminder as an email, (icq) messenger, twitter(? too short for my taste) or any other communications form to your smartphone or PC.

Most of them will need external CLI programs to be written by other people, which will be controlled by commandline (similar to the process timers).

I simply don't have the time and the need to do it all myself. :)

Be it as an additional property to a (recording) timer or a completely new timer type.

This kind of timer sends at a predefined time a reminder as an email, (icq) messenger, twitter(? too short for my taste) or any other communications form to your smartphone or PC.

Most of them will need external CLI programs to be written by other people, which will be controlled by commandline (similar to the process timers).

Sorry for going slightly off topic. Hopefully this property to a (recording) timer or a completely new timer type not only can send e-mail reminders, but also launch scripts and programs when recording starts (with some kind of built-in delay feature for reminder and program/script launch)? That would be very handy :)

• 3 months later...

I'll have an another go at this hoping to get some response. The question targets Lars, the developer of RS. By the way many thanks to you for your excellent help with describing the inner workings of the DVBViewer recording engine. Thanks to that information Comskip LiveTV commercial detection processing now works for .ts recordings made by DVBViewer and MediaPortal also. Have been waiting long for that :) I'm now looking high and low for a way to launch Comskip and in the same time utilize many of the recording place holders when RS fires it's recording timers. I had great hope this new timer type that you are describing could do that. Does this have any realistic substance or is it mere wishful thinking?

It would definitely be nothing short of fantastic to have it working in next beta. Recording with RS, having Comskip produce .edl's and using XBMC to watch commercial free recordings (LiveTV) almost in realtime, that would be very very nice indeed :D

Edited by majstang