1.9.7 control point

I've missed a couple of the latest RS releases, but I'm sooooo thrilled (if I interpreted the release notes correctly) to see that you guys implemented the control point feature in 1.9.7 that was requested!!!! I can't wait to get home and try this out...!!!

So this post is basically a spontaneous manifestation of my excitement by way of which I want to send out HUGE thanks to the DVBViewer development team for the great work they continue to do.

I'll report back here to see if the end-result lives up to my expectations :D

To me the possibility of this means, amongst a massive amount of other imaginable scenarios, that I will be able to browse and preview stuff on any given tablet/phone while having a stream already playing uninterrupted on the TV. Once I decide on another stream I want to go for, I can simply send that to the TV instead. 'Zapping' by way of Upnp in that way becomes enormously less frustrating and it also makes the need for a favorites folder less urgent as browsing through the webinterface by way of tablet is quite convenient. More convenient in any case than having to use a remote to run through a gigantic list of channels.

This way of zapping will still not be as fast as having DVBViewer itself integrated into XBMC let's say, but in that scenario I find it bothersome that you're always confronted with the more conventional way of TV-watching where you spend more time watching and browsing the OSD than the TV program itself :)

An ideal scenario for me would be that Upnp would become as fast as a local setup, but that will likely never happen due to the building/buffering/connecting of the stream that needs to occur at each change.

The main thing of it is though, that this way of working will allow a convenient and true one-server solution where all your DVB cards are managed in one server instead of having different HTPC's with DVBViewer throughout the house each with their own tuners and each with their own connections to your sat switch. Ok, this was already possible before, but it just wasn't practical to me in terms of browsing for a new channel as well as the EPG stuff. A DMP setup simply didn't lend itself well to this purpose. Now in this case, just making sure your client (screen or whatever you're using) is DMR-specced and you're ready to go.

I can also imagine a scenario where I'm watching one program on one screen, while the wife is watching another on hers. I can then shout 'hey honey you should really look at this' and just throw my stream onto her screen as well. As long as you have enough tuners, the possibilities are enormous for in-home distribution of the feeds...

Ah well, enough with the raving, I'll just start counting down until I can play around with it this weekend... ;)

PS: if favorites could be added, I still wouldn't say no to it though! ;)

Edited by DisTreSs
  • 2 weeks later...

After some playing around, it seems this is not quite what I expected so I might have jumped the gun here a bit :)

Still, a good first effort on the part of the DVBViewer team!

Ideally, the best way to go forward imho, would be to integrate the DMC functionality in the EPG.

Where it now gives you the option for Reruns/Play/Record/imdb, another option should be present such as 'play to' where you can then select a device on which the show you want to watch should be played to...

(you could also choose to incorporate this as a subsection of the Play option of course. Pressing play would then give you the option of playing directly (m3u)/streaming/'play to').

In a first step, a limitation should be set where the Webif is checking whether the request for a Playto command comes from inside the network... Only in this case, should the command be executed.