Webinterface access from internet

I have searched through the forum and the wiki and have had a few problems understanding the language used. Hopefully somebody can help.

I have setup DVDviewer and the recording service on a PC running Windows Home Server 2011 and I can set it record TV from the LAN

What I want to set up is a link from the WHS remote access screen so that I can access the RS web interface from the internet and set it record a program. The blurb for the recording service says

"It has a web interface with extensive possibilities to browse the EPG, program timers (via EPG), manage recordings and search in the EPG. From your local network as well as the internet."

However I cannot see any clear description of how to set up the recording service to allow access from the internet, or what to put into firefox on a remote PC which will bring up the we interface.

The WHS has a static LAN IP and I have a static WAN IP which is linked to my ######.homeserver.com address which should apparently make this task easier but the last bit has stumped me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, if you have a static WAN-IP it is very easy. In Recording Service you will set up the Port on which your PC will listen from Internet e.g. Port: 1234.

And for example your IP-Adress is 192.168.1.130. Then you only must call your Recording-Service with: 192.168.1.139:1234. The Webservice of Recording-Service will open and you can handle everything you want.

Hope this helps.

Allodo

Thanks for the reply although it does not help as much as I hoped.

From within the Windows home server remote access screen if I put a link in for the web interface for 192.168.x.x:8089 clicking the link from within the Lan gives and address of

https:\######.homeserver.com\192.168.x.x:8089 and the web interface come up. If I access the same link from the internet either using ######.homeserver.com or the static IP address the link does not work.

I assume that the link would have to be in the form

######.homerserver.com/??????:8089 but I am obvious missing something.

This works for me and I can access from Internet my Recording Service. Firstable I've maked an dyndns-account e.g. Recording-Service.dyndns.com which gets my IP from my Router.

Now when I will connect to the Webservice of Recording Service I have to write the following URL: www.Recording-Service.dyndns.com:8089.

So if your address is #####.homeserver.com you must write this: #####.homeserver.com:8089. Thats all.

I don't know if the Webservice works with https.

• 3 months later...

Hi.

My problem is similar. I'm able to connect the web interface from every PC in my LAN, but if I try to get it from internet (public IP : port), it doesn't connect.

I've open ports and gaven permissions on Windows Firewall.

On the other hand, Netstreaming works nice from internet when enabled like jdownloader server as well...so the router is not the problem

Thanks.

Edited by ramonchin

Hi.

My problem is similar. I'm able to connect the web interface from every PC in my LAN, but if I try to get it from internet (public IP : port), it doesn't connect.

I've open ports and gaven permissions on Windows Firewall.

On the other hand, Netstreaming works nice from internet when enabled like jdownloader server as well...so the router is not the problem

Thanks.

Sorry! It was because of Windows Firewall; I had to open ports besides give program permissions.. :wacko:

Sorry.

Happy New Year.