Retrieve EPG data for all channels

daffy

It's quite nice to have EPG data if / when it is present - unfortunately, EPG data may not always be present because, for instance, some channel has not been tuned to for a long time.

Lack of EPG data in turn means that I cannot reliably use the EPG as a, well, program guide.

Suggestion: Provide functionality that retrieves EPG data for all stations / stations in the favourites list, across all transponders. The software never should automatically run a "Full EPG update", because it will require switching over a variety of transponders and thus take a while.

The only problem that I see at the moment is finding criteria to decide when scanning for EPG data on a transponder should be stopped. One approach would be stop scanning (or timing out) after a fixed amount of time, another could be to stop updating after EPG data for [now] through [now + 12 hours] has been received for all (or favourite) channels on a transponder. Since I have no idea how EPG data is streamed, I cannot tell whether any of these approaches would be feasible.

For the record: I do not use TV magazines and I'd drop TVgenial the very moment I could get more complete EPG data through DVBViewer.

here in the forum exist a small VB-script which tune all defined station and than you have EPG on all this stations.

Try boardsearch.

Ah, another wonderful hack made by griga :-)

Well, yeeeeees. That would do it - but

- I have to manually define the channels in yet another place

- The script is "dumb" as it looks for station, not for transponders (and, I believe, EPG data is sent per transponder. not per station); that wastes a bit of time

Perhaps writing a plugin for DVBViewer would work, too: collect all transponders that need updating, then, with audio and video off, switch to any one station on a transponder.

So, why don't I write that plugin? Well, compare

Description: DVBViewer Plugin SDK ( 3396 Downloads )

» Version: 1.99R6

» Size: 54 KBytes

» Last Updated: 25.06.03

and

DVBViewer 2.2 RC1 (September 2004?)

Besides, I recall reading that plugins do not have access to the list of channels (which would be required).

If you have questions to the SDK please ask Christian in DVB - The technique behind and I'm shure Christian will answer you.

I'm not a programmer (and i believe this is the best for betatester because programmer have their own train of thoughts ;) ).

But all transponders should be inside of the transponder.ini ! Maybe this help.

Steffen

BTW: mein deutsch ist bei weitem besser als mein englisch, hab da nen Hinweis bekommen ... :(