Recording raw TV signal

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Can I make Recording Service to record raw TV signal from the HDTV tuner so as to reduce CPU utilization?

When the raw TV signal file was played later, DVBViewer Pro would decode the TV signal back into video (TS).

This could be helpful if I wanna use an old PC to record programs from multiple USB HDTV tuners....

BTW, I think I have asked the question before... :)

Edited by Mr. Man-wai Chang

The Recording Service don't modify the audio or video stream at all. They are stored exact in the form thy came from the TV station.

There are only some changes in the video container but thy should not result in a high CPU load.

And there should be no difference if you record SD or HD. Only the hard drive has to store more data.

If you have a high CPU load by recordings you should check the ..\DVBViewerPlugins\Plugins1 folders and remove all plug-in from the sub folders. Most likely one of them causes the high CPU load.

The Recording Service don't modify the audio or video stream at all. They are stored exact in the form thy came from the TV station.

There are only some changes in the video container but thy should not result in a high CPU load.

And there should be no difference if you record SD or HD. Only the hard drive has to store more data.

No, I am not witnessing high CPU load. I thought the HDTV signal could be a lot more compact than decoded video frames. But according to your explanation, they were not very different in size. There could be no saving at all.

Thank you for explaining it!

No, I am not witnessing high CPU load. I thought the HDTV signal could be a lot more compact than decoded video frames.

The recorder doesn't decode/re-encode the video/audio data delivered by the DVB card driver. Both are already compressed by the broadcaster (according to the H.264, MPEG2, AAC etc. standard). Usually the CPU load for recording only (without playback) is 1 % or such. So if you experience a high CPU load, it must be caused by something else.