DVB Viewer Pro. v5's ATSC CC/subtitles problems?

antdude

Hello.

I just upgraded my DVBViewer Pro to the latest v5.0.0.0 for Christmas 2012 night since it had new ATSC closed captionings/subtitles engine according to its http://www.DVBViewer.tv/comserver/lars/changelog.html#toc7 . I do like the speed and timing on this compared to the previous. However, I dislike the fonts, texts over my video (used to be bottom of the picture on my old 19" 5:4 LCD monitor), etc. Changing settings for Subtitles doesn't seem to do anything. I like the previous versions' looks. :(

Also, playing back MPG/MPEG-2 video files in DVBViewer Pro v5.0.0.0 does not show these CC/subtitles at all. I tried both brand new (v5) and old (v4.9) ones. They do show up with .TS video files. I am using an old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine.

Thank you in advance. :)

However, I dislike the fonts, texts over my video

The captions are now positioned and sized according to the CEA 608 specifications. They appear where the broadcaster wants them to be displayed, which means, inside the video.

Also, playing back MPG/MPEG-2 video files in DVBViewer Pro v5.0.0.0 does not show these CC/subtitles at all.

That's true. Primarily the new subtitle engine is designed for subtitles broadcasted in a TS container. Of course closed captions that are embedded in the video stream are still available in MPG files. It got lost somewhere on the way ;)

It's no big deal to make it work again. I did it today in DVBViewer GE (a nice little Christmas puzzle :)), so it will be fixed in the next GE release. I'll upload it in a few days, and I can inform you here, if you want to try... however, I don't know if and when it will be done in DVBViewer Pro.

The captions are now positioned and sized according to the CEA 608 specifications. They appear where the broadcaster wants them to be displayed, which means, inside the video.

That's true. Primarily the new subtitle engine is designed for subtitles broadcasted in a TS container. Of course closed captions that are embedded in the video stream are still available in MPG files. It got lost somewhere on the way ;)

It's no big deal to make it work again. I did it today in DVBViewer GE (a nice little Christmas puzzle :)), so it will be fixed in the next GE release. I'll upload it in a few days, and I can inform you here, if you want to try... however, I don't know if and when it will be done in DVBViewer Pro.

Hmm. Interesting. It would be nice to override this. IIRC, I have seen hardware DVRs let you change their default settings like colors, positions, sizes, etc. I just hate that black background color to make black boxes with big white texts. :(

As for MPG/MPEG-2 files not showing them, I don't mind testing it in Pro. for you as long as it doesn't break anything else. I am considering of reinstalling v4.9.x.x to get my old CC/subtitles format back even though they are delayed.

Edited by antdude
I just hate that black background color to make black boxes with big white texts.

The specifications allow for different colors and transparency levels. But the broadcasters are using white on black thoughout? One of the things that we can't know in Europe.

I made the teletext subtitle transparency configurable in DVBViewer GE, because they are broadcasted without transparency information (see screenshot below). I could do something similar with ATSC captions, thus overriding the broadcasted information...

Zwischenablage01.jpg

The specifications allow for different colors and transparency levels. But the broadcasters are using white on black thoughout? One of the things that we can't know in Europe.

I made the teletext subtitle transparency configurable in DVBViewer GE, because they are broadcasted without transparency information (see screenshot below). I could do something similar with ATSC captions, thus overriding the broadcasted information...

Sure, just let users override the settings. :) Let me know if I need to do small (have a small upload speed) recordings from USA. ;)
  • 2 weeks later...