Playing back DVB Viewer Pro v5.0.0.0's TS recordings problems.

antdude

Hello.

I noticed my new manual timeshift/TS recordings from v5.0.0.0 show much bigger file sizes (over two times) and playing back TS files show corruptions in both Media Player Classic Home-Cinema (MPC-HC) v1.6.6.6454 (d96fcc3) and VideoLAN Client (VLC) Media player v2.0.5. *.mpg recordings did NOT have this problem. sad.gif FYI, I have a 5.4 MB 7z file with two very short TS recordings at [deleted] for you to try. DVBViewer Pro does not have problems playing back TS files though! :/

So, I downgraded (overinstalled) my DVBViewer Pro back to v4.9.6.20 to avoid these problems until there are fixes. sad.gif

Thank you in advance. smile.gif

Edited by antdude
I noticed my new manual timeshift/TS recordings from v5.0.0.0 show much bigger file sizes (over two times)

For some odd reason each video TS packet has been written twice, as I can see in your samples. Maybe DVBViewer additionally tried to record subtitles resp. ATSC captions, and since they are embedded in the video stream... anyway, for sure a bug.

For some odd reason each video TS packet has been written twice, as I can see in your samples. Maybe DVBViewer additionally tried to record subtitles resp. ATSC captions, and since they are embedded in the video stream... anyway, for sure a bug.

And DVBViewer Pros (both recent versions) were able to play it fine? Weird!! OK, I am using the older version and no problems there. Edited by antdude
And DVBViewer Pros (both recent versions) were able to play it fine?

Yes, the playback engine is quite robust :) It detects the repeated packets by examining a continuity counter and drops every other one.

Yes, the playback engine is quite robust :) It detects the repeated packets by examining a continuity counter and drops every other one.

Nice. Too bad other players can't, but then double sized recordings suck. :(

No. Only TS -> MPG does the trick (and makes it playable with VLC etc.)

Since the recording over 30 minutes long, does that mean I have to "record" in it to convert (slow)? I tried to convert it with my old VideoReDo Plus, but it also couldn't play the TS recording correctly. :(
  • 6 months later...

I dont know if Lars fixed it before his death, but i did not. And to be honest i never tried VLC to play the recordings. What i can say for sure is that FFMpeg runs perfectly fine with our files (i used the lgpl libs for our upcoming MacOS player).

I will check this in the next days, maybe we find the bug in VLC.

Addentum: Okay i tested it with vlc and the error message is "main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist". Whatever that means it seem to be that all .ts files are related, even those i recorded in 2006.

• Like 1

Yes and i daily have my moments while watching on the second monitor here (the one with ICQ and Skype running) and thinking of him.

I also have to admit to search almost daily in our conversation history, looking for forgotten passwords etc..

It is, besides the fact that i miss him as very close friend (we phoned often and skyped/icqed daily since 10 years), i also miss him as colleague.

For example a day like today, when we release a new update, is often followed by a couple of strange side effects which i have to fight now somehow alone. Somehow alone does not mean that i'm alone with everything in general. The DVBViewer is a child, "born" by me, raised up by Lars/me and all the aunts and uncles here in the forum (Tjod, Griga, Markus K, Derrick, etc).

The ATSC development is something i kept focus in and Griga did the amazing job with the subtitles. By the way even if the DVBViewer is used world wide it is quite strange that we never ever took a step on US soil.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if Lars fixed it before his death, but i did not. And to be honest i never tried VLC to play the recordings. What i can say for sure is that FFMpeg runs perfectly fine with our files (i used the lgpl libs for our upcoming MacOS player).

I will check this in the next days, maybe we find the bug in VLC.

Addentum: Okay i tested it with vlc and the error message is "main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist". Whatever that means it seem to be that all .ts files are related, even those i recorded in 2006.

I see that DVBViewer Pro 5.2.7 was released yesterday according to http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/52956-DVBViewer-527/ , but it did not mention anything about .ts. Do I assume this is still not fixed? In fact, is there a bug report of this for me to track so I don't have to keep asking? I'd love to upgrade! ;)

Between 5.2.0 and 5.2.7 not but if changes before this fix the problem, I don't know.

So you or someone else how has the problem has to try.

Hackbart was able to reproduce it on 7/15/2013 as shown in his earlier re(ply/sponse) above. I assume that was the latest version.

As far as I understand he only reproduced it with your recording.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Right, but it still needs to be fixed. Another problem is that there aren't many DVB Viewers with ATSC.

So you are able to reproduce it with DVBViewer Pro 5.2.7 or 5.2?

I have not even downloaded the files since I wanted to know if this bug was finally fixed. It was a pain in the butt to redownload, reinstall, and reconfigure when I downgraded from v5.0 back to v4.9.2.60. I want to avoid that. If it is fixed, then I will retry it. My free time is tight/limited (e.g., on call to work OT this weekend). :(

I have not even downloaded the files since I wanted to know if this bug was finally fixed.

It was fixed, as far as I know. The hex viewer doesn't show duplicate video packets in TS test recordings anymore.

It was fixed, as far as I know. The hex viewer doesn't show duplicate video packets in TS test recordings anymore.

Interesting. Was it ever mentioned in the release notes? I never saw it? I will check it out later when I have more free time (don't want to ruin my old installation). ;)

It runs fine here with my recordings, but to be honest the "newest" record i have is the superbowl XLII which is quite old i guess and a kron 4 dump from 2006 :)

It runs fine here with my recordings, but to be honest the "newest" record i have is the superbowl XLII which is quite old i guess and a kron 4 dump from 2006 :)

OK, I will go mess with the latest version since I found out that I don't need to work today (on call). Yay! If the problem still remains, then I will record a short TS sample and upload it (uhh, where though?).

Uh oh. I found a new bug with TS recording and subtitles/closed captionings (CCs) with v5.2.7.0 in my very old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine. It seems like I get corrupted recording when I manually enable CC and pause. I don't get this problem if I never touch subtitles/CCing in timeshift record.

I uploaded three 7zipped http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/ts/ for my KCBS2 samples (will delete once the issue is fixed).

Steps to reproduce it:

1. TS record.
2. Pause.
3. Enable subtitles/CC.
4. Unpause.
5. Skip a few seconds ahead to after where I enabled CC/subtitles.

Hmm, the bigger file size doesn't happen if I don't repeat the steps above. Just a normal record without CCs/subtitles.

It looks like I am going to have to downgrade again soon! :(

Edited by antdude

I can confirm that your sample files are corrupted. From a certain point on there are again duplicate video TS packets. It gets even worse when the "Remove MPEG2 Filler Data" recorder option takes effect, because it only removes data in one of the duplicate streams,not in the other one, so the whole thing gets completely out of sync.

Just to make sure:

3. Enable subtitles/CC.

means switching them on in the Settings -> Subtitle Menu?

Just a normal record without CCs/subtitles.

That's not possible. The CCs are embedded in the video data, so they are always recorded when video is recorded. Removing them on the fly would be difficult.

Just to make sure:

means switching them on in the Settings -> Subtitle Menu? ...

Yes, that is where I enable and disable.

Need anything else before I downgrade soon?

Edited by antdude

You could try to use the current installation and just replace the DVBViewer.exe with the old one.

This should work and just replacing the DVBViewer.exe for testing should be easier.

You could try to use the current installation and just replace the DVBViewer.exe with the old one.

This should work and just replacing the DVBViewer.exe for testing should be easier.

Ah, but I still need to install the old one. I will try it in a VM.

• 1 month later...

Only timeshift recordings are affected - is this correct?

It will be fixed in the next release. Today I've found the bug and sent the patch to Christian. I would have done it earlier, but I thought Christian would look after it. Some misunderstanding - sorry.

• Like 1

Only timeshift recordings are affected - is this correct?

It will be fixed in the next release. Today I've found the bug and sent the patch to Christian. I would have done it earlier, but I thought Christian would look after it. Some misunderstanding - sorry.

Yeah, TS only from what I saw. If you need me to test it, then feel free to share it. Thanks. ;)

• 2 months later...

I see a new version 5.2.9 just came out. I assume this bug is finally fixed:

"Fix: Timeshift: Timeshift files weren't written correctly after selection of ATSC subtitles"

I will try it later (during my long weekend next week?) or so. :)