Unreliable with with 4.3.0 drivers

daffy

I mentioned this elsewhere, buried deep inside some monster thread - so it's time to repost in a better location:

The combination of DVBViewer and the latest 4.3.0 B2C2 drivers does not work reliably.

Note: This Applies to both "DVBViewer TE" (perfectly clean) as deployed with the 4.3.0 driver package as well as "DVBViewer 2.3 (beta)" (plugin-infested).

Fundamentally, the application will start up, will show some TV, will channel switch a few times - BUT after a few more channel switches, everything is black and silent. It seems as if something is killing the driver itself, as I do have to disable/enable the device in the Device Manager to get audio/video back.

I have no idea what might be wrong, unfortunately - perhaps it's W2K3, perhaps it's hyper-threading - no idea, sorry, and I am not really up to playing the driver game at the moment.

For now I have reverted way down to 4.2.8 - which has other issues (apparently something is hogging some bus for some time, because opening a new browser window may cause slight, very short stutter in the DVBViewer window).

Pretty sure about my problems and pretty sure about using 4.3.0 ;-)

What I question is the overall state of my W2K3 installation - so with the nVidia codecs no longer working with DVBViewer and considering the age of the W2K3 installation, I have decided to reinstall. Everything. From scratch.

I'll probably be able to provide more feedback, whichever way, on Sunday (or later - sigh).

Same problem here. Using 4.3.0 drivers and 2.3 beta, sometimes it works, the most doesn't!

I will reinstall everything next week, but I fear nothing will change. ;)

I am writing this message from a mega-clean, fresh W2K3 installation.

I am writing this message to tell you that I am not - I repeat NOT - ever going to install 4.3.0 again. Ever. Did I say ever? No? Ok, let me say "never ever again".

Frankly, 4.3.0 is wonderful when it comes to lack of robustness, lack of compatibility with two plugins I prefer using, and in general rather persistent when trying to remove it from the system. Alas, that's not exactly what a user (me) likes to see. Quite to the contrary, actually.

Net effect: Farewell, 4.3.0 - welcome back, 4.2.8.

End of story.

Ok, I owe you one example of lack of robustness: With 4.2.8 (and 4.2.11) I could kill the DVBViewer brutally, without any adverse effects. With 4.3.0 I have to disable/enable the driver in order to be able to view TV again.

Hi,

are you sure? I work with the driver itself since more than 2 weeks.

Christian

As I said before: this drivers are a pain in the a**.

Gave them another try today and just rolled back to 4.2.11.

Tried different progs:

• DVBViewer TE v1.9.7.200
  • DVBViewer, most recent Version available from TS
  • DVBViewer 1.9.8 R14
  • DVBViewer 2.2 RC1
  • DVBViewer 2.3beta
  • Alt-DVB recent version
  • DVB-Dream 0.8.6
  • ProgDVB 4.44.1
  • SkyView
  • Transedit

with different source filters (Marfi's, DVBViewer, DVBViewer Classic, Skystar) and different combinations of Directshow filters (mainly Cyberlink A/V, Intervideo A/Cyberlink V, Elecard/Moonlight, AC3filter, DVD Express) under different conditions and with different settings. None of them worked flawless with the new driver.

Problems I noticed are with

• signal strength indication
  • switching problems as mentioned by daffy
  • problems during transponder scanning (same channels/package found twice on different frequencies)
  • A/V running out of sync (most important)

Guess TS should do some further investigation and should take it off the site till the probs are fixed ...

<offtopic>

@ daffy

Why do you install 4.2.8 instead of 4.2.11?

Does it have any advantages?

</offtopic>

4.2.11: Without (!) DVBViewer running, audio playback (for instance in Windows Media Player) has artefacts and distortions every other second or so. Fixed as soon as DVBViewer runs.

4.2.8: No problems.

I guess 4.2.11 shows DMA or PCI problems on my system.

4.2.11: Without (!) DVBViewer running, audio playback (for instance in Windows Media Player) has artefacts and distortions every other second or so. Fixed as soon as DVBViewer runs.

This problem seems to be fixed within the 4.3.0 release.

I also use the 4.3.0 and it really works without any trouble on my machine (XPSP2).

I second that.

Bye, Oliver

Same problem here. I'm using 4.3.0 drivers and 2.3 beta under WinXP SP2, sometimes it works, the most doesn't !

Short occurance of TV programm, then nothing more (no sound, no video). My system slows dramatically down.

Ciao Stefan

..well, I switched between drivers in the last couple of days many times, trying to get another application running. Though not thoroughly testet, I can't confirm what is written here about 4.3.0 and the DVBViewer beta. But I went back to 4.2.8 just in case ;)

4.2.11: Without (!) DVBViewer running, audio playback (for instance in Windows Media Player) has artefacts and distortions every other second or so.  Fixed as soon as DVBViewer runs.

I guess 4.2.11 shows DMA or PCI problems on my system.

Well, I noticed that too by playing Audio Media either in MP and WinAmp but I didn't see any connection to the 4.2.11 drivers - good to know.

Thanks for that info!

@ Kaiser Wilhelm II

You know why they never found BSE in Argentinian beef?

They simply don't search for. ;)

Well, and just for the records, I'm also running WinXP pro SP2.

I have the same problem with 4.3.0 drivers and DVBViewer 2.2 (video and audio keep freezing!)

However the last DVBViewer technisat edition bundled with 4.3.0 drivers seems to work well.

But of course i want DVBViewer 2.2 pro

I think 4.3.0 drivers gives more signal strenght (sorry if it sounds stupid...) and i don't want to roll back to previous drivers.

So, I think I have to wait for either a new technisat driver or a working DVBViewer pro

I have with 4.2.2, 4.2.11 and 4.3.0 ~75%. But with 4.2.8 I have only ~50%.

That can't be, because it's the same tuner and so on. The cause must be the calculation of this value. The real signal strenght can't vary by the driver version.

The 2.3 beta works will all versions of the driver (on my PC)

What about 2.2rc1? Is it working too with 4.3.0?

Because if 2.3 beta works I will give it a try...

I don't believe it will depend so much on the computer...

2.2rc1 was made in September (that is: before 4.3.0)

technisat edition was made in October (after 4.3.0)

I thinks that's the problem!

yes, it works.

(If you use winXP, you gan go back to an earliert driver by the device manager, if it dont work. )

But be careful, the new software from technisat uninstalls the DVD-Express decoders. So you must have other decoders (like NVIDIA, Cyberlink, Intervideo...) in your system or you must install only the new driver by the device manager.

It's hopeless

4.2.11 freezes audio and video too. And what is worse technisat edition now freezes too...

So I went to 4.3.0 and I'm using mytheatre until "DVBViewer pro" works...

Thanks

@johnypeste: If you dont give us this needed informations we can't help you!!! :P

A driver can't freeze only Audio and Video ! Audio and video is a part of directshow.

Wrong settings and bad or incomplete installations can do this! Installed decoder packages can do this too.

And freeze is not freeze ....

However the last DVBViewer technisat edition bundled with 4.3.0 drivers seems to work well.
And thats the evidence, its possible with your system !!!

Steffen

OK Steffen, thanks

Here comes the facts!

DVBViewer TE bundled with 4.3.0 works well with 4.3.0 driver.

dvbviwer pro 2.2rc1 does not.

The problem is:

audio and video is coming in flashes every 5 or 10 seconds during 1 second, and when I want to record, there is no signal to record and the resulting file has 0 Kb size.

It seems that very few bytes are arriving from b2c2 to the prog!

In fact, with technisat edition the recording also have problems, but at least I can see video and hear audio, despite a small out of sync...

So I think it is not a decoder problem! The stream is not arriving as it should! Sorry for this explanation but I can't do better. I tried all the source filter (Marfi, etc) and all have the same problem.

Other guys in this forum reported problems...So I'm not the only one.

If you need to ask for anything please do.

Thanks again

Here comes the facts!

DVBViewer TE bundled with 4.3.0 works well with 4.3.0 driver.

dvbviwer pro 2.2rc1 does not.

yes, you're right, there is an issue concerning the source filter (at least that's what I think :P ) in combination with the new driver. Though no problems with the beta version and the new push_source_filter..

thanks derrick

I'm felling much better now :P

So, 2.3 beta works...Is there anything to do to 2.2rc1 to put it working. I would like to give another chance to a nonbeta release because generally I don't like to use beta versions.

..change the driver back again to 4.2.8 or wait for a fix. You could switch to marfi's source filter but I guess, you'll have to get a a new version of the skyac.dll from his site.

Derrick wrote skyac.dll and not skyavc.ax!

But Marfi have some trubble with 4.30 drivers too ! But i can't see a good reason for using marfis filter.

And i can't help you if you don't give needed informations. What is with logMPGDecoder?....

But i can't see a good reason for using marfis filter.

And i can't help you if you don't give needed informations.

Don´t ask silly questions ;) ..there is proof that the old, good combination doesn´t work anymore when switching to 4.3.0 ..however marfi does the job! Isn´t that reason enough? :P

Now I'm totally confused

I tried to open a mpg file on my disk (completely readable in windows media player) and i get the same problem, Audio and video keeps flashing!

it gives a warning when i open the file:

record/timeshift is active

but i can't disable timeshift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is timeshift screwing the all thing?

thanks for the patience

my decoder is elecard but the problem is the same with all the decoders. Even with hardware decoders...(i have a hplus card)

again with technisat edition i can play the file without any problems and with the decoders

AGAIN: post needed informations !!!!

Thats your last chance to get support from me! I'm not a clairvoyant!

Klausing

Thanks for the worry

What extra information do you need!?

For me, the DVBViewer incapacity of reading a simple mpg file makes me think that either my system is very bad (not probable since other dvb programs work well) or that I'm missing something in the prog configuration (but in this case my suggestion is to make to prog easier to use: after all I'm just opening a mpg fille!!!!!)

I installed DVBViewer in another computer without any dvb card just to see if it can open a mpeg file.

The problem is the same.

It plays for 3 seconds than it stops for 1 seconds and it plays it again an it stops etc

Here goes in attach the files requested

I hope you can find the solution

log.zip

Hmm, the setup.ini doesn't contain any version info. Strange...

The flashing is usually caused by using an illegal key, or having used it before purchasing the Pro Version and installing it, without entering the new valid key. Dunno wether there are other possible reasons....

It plays for 3 seconds than it stops for 1 seconds and it plays it again an it stops etc
In which application you tried to play?

If you have this reaction in Windows MediaPlayer you have really a problem in your system.

If you have this reaction in DVBViewer , you are using a illegal version! This is a hardcodet feature for all people which want to use DVBViewer without to buy it. :P Ore you have a bad/wrong key! If you bought a legal version please ask hackbart again for a right key. ;)

Steffen