Suggestion to RS Web interface

McenterFreak

No response in the Suggestion & Ideas section, so i try here:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:58

I would appreciate some changes to the way web interface in Recording Service handles scheduling of programs that are repeating. In this example I want to record every instance of a program called “Klovn” on a channel named “TV2”.
The way I do it now is:
Find the program in TV Guide
1 - Click on it
2 - Click Reruns
3 - Copy the text in Search For field e.g. “Klovn”
4 - Paste it into the Name Field
5 - Click on the channel in Channel Selection e.g. “TV2”
6 - Check the Add to Auto-Record search box
7 - Click Save
Then to record the actual program for today, I need to:
8 - Click Search
9 - Check the box left to the program name
10 - Click Record
It is all very complicated, and maybe I do it the wrong way. What I would like was:
3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 should be done automatically, so the only thing I should do was: 7 - Click Save
It could be a choice like Prefill automatically? So that the user could turn it off, if he desires to do it manually
If I do it wrong, then please advise me with a better way to do it, thanks

a rerun is by definiton a repeated transmission of a specific programme at a later time (possibly on different channels).

You want to record a series as far as I understand, so the way you are using the rerun function is not as it's meant to be used.

No, its not a series (like Friends). Its a program that have the same name, but different content. Example: Jamie Oliver in Italy. I would like to record all episodes of this programme.

What will be the right way to do this programming?

A while ago, I posted a method I used to simplify searches by adding a RS EPG search to a browser's list of search engines. You might find it useful. It's better if your browser allows context searches - I use Firefox's "Advanced URL Builder" extension.

The process would be:

1. Highlight programme name in Guide (or any web-page)

2. Right-click for context search

3. Choose RS search from list of search plugins

4. When search page is returned (with Programme name in Search field), click "Search"

5. Use check boxes to select programmes from list (or single box at top for "all")

6. Click "record"

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/47612-context-search-from-firefox-browser/

It would have been better if step 4 could be eliminated, but I didn't know how to do that.

I still don't get why this isn't available through the DVBViewer (and maybe RS API) to make it easy for people to add new search entries without using the RS interface (and associated mouse, keyboard, web browser etc).

In the Timeline view, or EPG, or MiniEPG in DVBViewer have a 'Add to autosearch timers' option in the context menu.

This then acts like the 'Series Link' button on a Sky box.

It adds a new autotimer record in the autotimer list, gets the programme name, channel from the EPG entry where the context menu was pressed and uses them for the new autotimer record, then triggers an autotimer search for good measure.

Then, with two button clicks on my remote control, I've added an autosearch timer to ensure that the rest of my series is recorded.

The clever functionality RS now has will stop duplicates being recorded and I can always come into the browser and RS interface to fine tune or remove autotimers.

It just seems quite a simple thing to implement, but very useful user friendly functionality.

I'd do it myself if I could get at the auto timers list in a way acceptable to the developers.

No matter what the intentions with the rerun is, it is too complicated to use. I never use it since once I tried, and nothing was recorded at all ..

-Personally I can't see where to use the function if not intented for series recording? maybe recording same program several times, but why? maybe news every day at same time or something?., but isn't recording news every days about the same as recording for example all episodes of Mythbusters?

Another thing I find a little strange:

if I want use Channel Epg and want to record something I have can press the red button to the right, or double click the program and so on.

If I use the search function I can set a mark to the left of each line and then scroll up and press record, to record all marked programs ( this is much easier, except for the scrolling up, especially if you forget that.. but that is another story of course) - or double click each line as above.

Why not same way to do it in each sub-menu?

In other words: if I record series I do a search and mark the programs I want under the search function and then scroll up and press record.

THEN I go to timers to check if any programs conflict with other timers and then go back and make new search find reruns of the conflicting programs.

Then I go back to Timers to see if conflicts are gone, if not I try another search and so on, hoping there are more reruns of same episode and so on..

Or I mark all reruns to be recorded, and then go to Timers and delete those who conflicts.

Both ways are a little clumsy.

It would be nice if a program that conflicts with another timer was marked with another color for example red like in Timers, so another rerun could be choosen.

As far as I remember this worked back in time in an older version of Recordservice, am I right?

Record Service works great generally, but some functions could be more simple or smart, or at least the same way in each "window".

Sorry if that question should be in another topic..

Edited by krasno

No matter what the intentions with the rerun is, it is too complicated to use. I never use it since once I tried, and nothing was recorded at all ..

That is one of my points!

If you forget (no. 6 in my list) to check the Add to Auto record, nothing will be recorded. Default is NOT checked

Also you need to have an Autosearch timer running once every day

Again, this is how i understand the mechanism, but please correct me if am wrong. I would love if i am wrong, and there are a more clever way to acomplish this, because I use it nearly every day :dvbviewer:

Edited by McenterFreak

In my opinion I think you're nitpicking here. How often do you add a new search preset for a series really? In my case hardly once or twice every month. Going through the search preset setup doesn't feel that overwhelming considering that.

Also you need to have an Autosearch timer running once every day

Why? In that case I'm wondering if you're using the function correct.

The only criticism I can come up with is the EPG Search picture in the Wiki is old and doesn't show the "Check against" boxes. The text describing how to use the function is excellent.

However, I do agree with "Add to Auto record" should be checked per default though, to avoid the irritation when a show not getting recorded.

We go through the on-screen EPG every few days for the week ahead. When we see something we want to record, a new series or whatever, we add it, but can only add that one programme. I then have to think 'oh when I remember I'll get onto a PC and set that up as a series'.

Instead, two button clicks could add it to the list.

DVBViewer has a good, intuitive, fast OSD UI. It amazes me that the developers seem to think people don't use it, and would prefer to sit there with a mouse and keyboard and type stuff in - or do a lot of ctrl+c and ctrl+v at the very minimum.

I do think the problem is it's rather complicated accomplish it in html. To judge from Lars reactions to many requests requiring large html changes, he seems not that amused by it. I can understand that standpoint since it's far from his preferred language and when looking at the SvcWeb...will make your head spin fast when realizing all the dependencies with java, css and jquery. Slightest change will break something else. Getting a webpage builder professional involved for free would be a dream scenario, but remains a dream. "mrplox" contributions earlier was a major breakthrough for RS to say at least, getting him involved again isn't something we can count on unfortunately.

In my opinion I think you're nitpicking here. How often do you add a new search preset for a series really? In my case hardly once or twice every month. Going through the search preset setup doesn't feel that overwhelming considering that.

Why? In that case I'm wondering if you're using the function correct.

The only criticism I can come up with is the EPG Search picture in the Wiki is old and doesn't show the "Check against" boxes. The text describing how to use the function is excellent.

However, I do agree with "Add to Auto record" should be checked per default though, to avoid the irritation when a show not getting recorded.

We are all different, and have different needs. I use the function very often.

When I read the wiki I see: "In order that the Auto-Record searchlist will be processed automatically and create the timer it is necessary to create a Autosearch timer at the Timer page."

Ok, so you are adding a search preset for a serie every day if I understand it correct? That would be the only case necessary to execute an autotimer every day, in order to get recording timers for new presets scheduled. If so that would mean a lot of preset setup fiddling for you and I can understand your standpoint. However, that implies recording 24/7 pretty much and it's far from the needs of the average user.

Your suggestions are interesting though and nobody would be happier than me if the EPG Search menu could get some serious overhaul from a skilled webpage pro, which also includes smarter recording timer scheduling from Timeline, TVGuide and Channel EPG with automated search preset setup. Automating something that include so many different criterias as the search preset setup does isn't easy though. People with different needs from mainstream will complain about how they will be forced to manually edit the search presets after automatic creation.

The main question is who's gonna do it? Lars seems satisfied with how things are now. Uglyned...Mcenterfreak...are you interested? I'm not cuz without basic html, js, jquery skills it would mean months of studying before even start to get anywhere.