BBC1 HD England and BBC HD

kilbowie54

Hi,

I've been using DVBViewer for about 3 years and I'm utterly puzzled by my current failure to receive BBC1 HD England and BBC HD (about to become BBC2 HD). I've updated the transponder list and cleared the channellist and carried out a fresh scan. BBC1 HD Scotland and BBC1 HD Wales appear in the "BSkyB" list as I would expect, but BBC1 HD England and BBC HD and BBC1 HD Northern Ireland appear in a separate folder marked "Unknown" and, despite my checking and double checking the entries in Channel Editor, I just cannot receive these channels. DVBViewer attempts to tune them in, but all I get is a badly pixelated picture.

I've checked that I've got the correct Transport ID, SID, Video PID, Audio PID, FEC, PMT, PCR, DVB-S2 and 8PSK etc etc. Nothing works.

It's the channels on Transponder 50 that I can't receive. Transponder 61 is fine, as are all the others.

Any help would be gratefully received. I'm at my wits end with it!

Thanks

Located in Scotland, about 20 miles south-west of Glasgow. It's the Astra 1N DSAT4 group that I can't receive. I received BBC HD and BBC1 HD fine until last September's change. I put it down to a cheap Compro DVB-S2 S900 USB tuner that I was using, but it can receive BBC1 HD Scotland and BBC1 HD Wales perfectly well from Astra 1N transponder 61 in the DSAT8 group.

I've been trying to sort this for weeks, but I just don't seem to be able to.

Thanks

If you are using Hauppage S2 card this is a known difficulty, discussed in earlier posts.

IIt would be nice if someone could summarise the current position. as it changes from time to time, TIA.

but all I get is a badly pixelated picture.

...and a lot of discontinuities displayed on the DVBViewer Filter's property page, I guess.

If only a single frequency is affected (10847 MHz in this case), it may be caused by

- bad cable and/or connector quality, corrosion, bad contact, broken inner conductor etc. Sometimes it has the same effect as a band-stop (wave-trap) filter attenuating a narrow frequency range.

- radiation interfering with the frequency, maybe outside your PC in combination with insufficient cable shielding, maybe inside your PC that contains a lot of potential radiation sources in the relevant frequency range. Some years ago I encountered this issue with a KNC DVB-S2 card. There was no other solution than changing the PC or the card.

In both cases the intermediate frequency created by the LNB and received by the tuner (10847 - 9750 = 1097 MHz) is affected, not the original satellite frequency. Most likely the problem can only be solved on the hardware/equipment level.

I use an Hauppauge S2 and have never had the slightest difficulty picking up BBC HD channels in DVBViewer, either in Windows 7 or 8.

Silly question but did you add the new 1N transponders into your transponders.ini file when they were introduced?

In both cases the intermediate frequency created by the LNB and received by the tuner (10847 - 9750 = 1097 MHz) is affected, not the original satellite frequency. Most likely the problem can only be solved on the hardware/equipment level.

If true, then there might be interference also on an adjacent transponder, such as 10832H or 10862H, as well as in the high band at 11720H (-10600= 1120).

Edited by QBox User

If true, then there might be interference also on an adjacent transponder, such as 10832H or 10862H, as well as in the high band at 11681V or 11720H.

116801V is on the low band with an universal lnb (switch frequency 11700MHz). If you check that frequency without changing the swichting frequency the IF could be affected by DECT ;)

It's not a Hauppage. It's a cheap Compro S900 DVB-S2 tuner - but it does pick up BBC1 HD Scotland, BBC1 HD Wales, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD without any fault at all. It's just the 3 BBC HD channels from Transponder 50 - BBC1 HD England, BBC2 HD and BBC1 HD Northern Ireland - that are affected. Strangely, when I do a channel scan using the latest transponders list (I have updated the transponders.ini file), these 3 channels appear in a separate folder marked "Unknown" at the foot of the channel list and are marked as Service 6940, 6943 and 6945. When I click on one of these, DVBViewer tries to load the channel, and even the correct EPG information appears, but the actual picture breaks up, is extremely pixelated and there's no audio.

I don't think the cable or connectors are at fault. It's not old (2010) - the Sky HD box downstairs is fed from the same quad LNB and BBC1 England and BBC2 HD are fine there. It's just upstairs with the PC. It's an i5-2500K with 8GB of RAM running Windows 7 64-bit. Graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6670. I don't think it's the PC's fault - it can handle HD TV and blu-ray discs just fine.

Thanks

Strangely, when I do a channel scan using the latest transponders list (I have updated the transponders.ini file), these 3 channels appear in a separate folder marked "Unknown" at the foot of the channel list and are marked as Service 6940, 6943 and 6945.

Due to a faulty stream, caused by bad signal quality. Not enough to read the channel and provider names from the Service Description Table (SDT) properly within the scanner timeout. Just another symptom of the same disease...

The problem with the Hauppage, and maybe with your tuner, is that it cannot detect correctly all the transponder properties for S2 .

Transponder 50 uses modulation 8PSK and FEC 2/3 which are not the defaults in Dbviewer/Transedit.

You can set them manually using Transedit and it will scan successfully.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/sat_frequencies.shtml under DSAT4.

Hope this helps.

PS - though I see that you can get BBC Scotland etc which use the same settings, so maybe that's not your problem.

Worth checking with Transedit though.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this.

Transedit correctly finds the channels and identifies them, but when I click on "preview", the result is the same as before - broken and pixelated picture and Transedit then crashes.

I tried moving the tuner to another (5 year old Vista 64bit) computer on the other side of the room and all channels were scanned successfully and identified - no "Unknown" folder. Not one of the BBC HD channels could then be viewed, however. DVBViewer just hung and then crashed. Even the BBC1 HD Scotland and Wales that are fine on my main PC couldn't be loaded.

The Compro tuner is very inexpensive (under £60 from Amazon), but it DOES successfully cope with BBC1 HD Scotland and Wales from transponder 61 and they're both DVB-S2 with 8PSK modulation. There's absolutely no picture break-up, nor pixelation. All recordings made from them are faultless. It's transponder 50 that's the problem.

I'll look at the connections on the cable again and re-make them and see if that works.

Thanks again to everyone.

Transponder 50 is V and 61 is H so you might be getting a worse signal on 50 if your dish/lnb/skew is misaligned, a cheap tuner

may be more affected by this. As a newbie I only mention this as this was the cause of my problem!

That tends to confirm the local interference theory, if your cable isn't the problem. Non-playing is likely to be a codec issue. Vista won't have a HD decoder by default, as Win7 does.

[Q to Admins: Is there some way to post comments after a quote? I can't place the cursor below the insert.]

I tried moving the tuner to another (5 year old Vista 64bit) computer on the other side of the room and all channels were scanned successfully and identified - no "Unknown" folder. Not one of the BBC HD channels could then be viewed, however. DVBViewer just hung and then crashed. Even the BBC1 HD Scotland and Wales that are fine on my main PC couldn't be loaded.

I'll see if I can acquire a new DVB-S2 tuner - perhaps the Compro is to blame. I'll also have a look at the cable that feeds the tuner. For the moment, I've tried everything that I can. My technical expertise isn't as advanced as some on here!

I blame the BBC for changing everything! All was fine until they changed satellite transponders last September.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Since the Compro is a USB device, it's less likely to be affected by interference from within the PC case. As well as reterminating the satellite cable, try a different USB cable, preferably one with built-in ferrites.