Dynamic DNS

Lakeuk

Does anyone use one of the free dynamic dns services like NoIP or dtDNS to access their DVBViewer recording service web frontend across the web, any advice on how to setup so I don't risk opening up my PC to the outside world, only opening up the DVBViewer part and also not risking someone getting into the DVBViewer web interface and deleting my recordings. When you enter your password is it sent encrypted?

Seem to remember a floor in MythTV with google was able to spider users web interfaces and some didn't have password protection which opened up their MythTV system for internet users to do their worst - ie delete records.

I use noIP. It is free and very reliable.

Then you have to set up your router to forward one external port to the web server port of the recording service. The windows firewall is set up automatically during the RS installation.

The traffic to the RS is not encrypted as it is http only but I think passwords are encrypted. The developers do not consider the contents of the RS to be so critical that they need https, me neither. :)

• 2 months later...

In order to view streams from my PC/recording service when I am at my parents I set up a VPN server connection on my PC, forwarded a port on my router to use for the VPN and then set up the VPN client on my parents PC to connect to my PC.

As I understand it this means my parents PC then acts like it is part of my home LAN.