IPTV for Newbies

Kiwi_Tim

Hi there,

I have enjoyed DVBViewer and Recording Service for some years now. I recently upgraded to DVBV 5.1, which is very good, however, I get the feeling that my ignorance of DVBViewer's full capabilities is limiting my use of it.

I recently had a play with XBMC. One of the best features of XBMC is the almost limitless swath of free streaming video add-ons. I found some of these to be really impressive (eg. IceFilms, PBS, Time, etc.).

What capacity is there in DVBViewer and Recording Service to receive such video streams off the internet?

How does one configure DVBViewer and Recording Service to receive these feeds?

Where can I find lists of free streaming video sources that can be added to DVBViewer and Recording Service?

All of the above may seem like really dumb questions to the initiated, but I have been dredging the internet for hours without making much progress.

My hunch is that I need to add a virtual IPTV device in Options/Hardware/+, but I am mystified as to how I should scan for and add channels with this IPTV device.

Is there a Wiki page, or a IPTV for Dummies guide that explains all this in a step-by-step methodology somewhere?

Thanks for your response. Can you please give me a practical example of an application of DVB-IPTV using DVBViewer ( would this be where someone wants to distribute video over the internet, originally sourced from their DVB device, rather than the reverse, where DVBViewer recieves streams off the internet?).

What I would like is to have channels in my favorites list that link directly to streaming internet sources ( like EuroNews and Aljazeera ). Is this do-able?

By DVB-IPTV the same streams which are sent e.g. via DVB-C are sent through the internet.
All DVB-IPTV providers I know are internet access providers.
They use that to provide the same service as a cable television company that provides an internet access.

So if your internet access provider doesn't have such a service most likely you can't use it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV#Markets

Thanks Tjod, I guess I can forget about IPTV for the time being: my ISP doesn't supply any IPTV feeds that I could utilize.

Is there any intention to expand DVBViewer's capabilities to include streaming video sources much the same as XBMC?

I know there is already some capacity there for streaming video (youtube etc), but I'd like to see on-demand and streaming video sources, like those available in XBMC, listed in my Favorites list that I can select with my remote control.

Is this sort of thing going to be condsidered in the game plan for future releases?