Faster EPG Updater Method

When is enabled "Faster EPG Updater Method" then some frequencies are skipped during manual EPG update (and probably automatic too) and then EPG for channels on these frequencies is missing. Maybe it has to do with another RS tweak "Clear all EPG data before EPG update" which I have got enabled.

When is "Faster EPG Updater Method" disabled then all EPG data are readed correctly.

Tested with version 1.25.

I noticed - for example - DVB-T frequency 482 MHz was skipped, provider is UPC CZ.

Edited by jirim100

DVB-T frequency 482 MHz was skipped, provider is UPC CZ.

Unfortunately not receivable for us. So a sample recorded from the transponder with the TransEdit Analyzer will be necessary to pinpoint the problem. It should contain PAT, PMT, SDT and the EIT. Are you able to provide it?

Maybe yes, but not immediatelly. Where should I store this file? Because here is 512 kB limit for attached file.

This morning I updated the Recording Srvice to version 1.26, the old database was erased (as highlighted in red). New scanning, including multiplex to 482 MHz, successful ...
"Use the faster EPG Updater Method" was enabled as default, I think. This took place on the PC where I use the DVB-T from cable UPC.

But on another PC, where I use DVB-C UPC and where I updated the RS to 1.26 yesterday, with some multiplexes just load the only current EPG data. I decided that the multiplex this data does not, but after I disabled the Faster EPG Method all data from these multiplexes loaded...

... with some multiplexes just load the only current EPG data. I decided that the multiplex this data does not, but after I disabled the Faster EPG Method all data from these multiplexes loaded...

Yes, it's exactly. But for me it happen with DVB-T (I have got on the same PC DVB-C too but I check only DVB-T channels) and with version 1.25.

Derrick calls everything a bug that is not to his liking. One of those people who always know how it should be done but are not able do it themselves ;)

Just for clarification: Only unintended software behaviour is a bug.

The fast method assumes that the EPG data for a transponder is broadcasted on this transponder, which is the usual behaviour of most broadcasters. The fast method works much more efficiently in this case and avoids some potential problems. However, if EPG data is only broadcasted in an EPG data section for other transponders, the fast method will miss it.

Before we start to up- and download samples, you can check it in the TransEdit Analyzer. You can see different EIT (Event Information Table) sections on the left side. The ones named "Actual" are read by the fast method, the ones named "Other" additionally by the slow method. Have a look what's inside these treeview nodes. If the "Actual" sections contain EPG data that is missing, we can start to debug....

P.S. In order to see the "Other" sections you may need to tick the "Read EIT for other transponders / networks" checkbox on the Settings -> Analyzer Tab and restart the Analyzer.

Only unintended software behaviour is a bug

..when it was changed, it was unknown therefore unintentional -> @Griga's definition of a bug ;)

Now it's even worse because it's intentional :rolleyes:

which is the usual behaviour of most broadcasters.

..if is this method was used by a German broadcaster it would be the usual behaviour too :D

Griga OK, I understand.

Sometimes I watch random Actual TS, Schedule and confirm the existence of EPG data in both DVB-C stream and in the DVB-T stream (both distributed by cable UPC).

Now, by installing this new version EPG data erased and probably reflected the problem.

Both computers are essentially default settings, this means fast method enabled. While on one PC with DVB-T EPG data for all five channels had loaded without problems on a second computer with some channels EPG data didn't retrieved. First I tried to increase the load time on transponder 60 seconds, which did not help. After fast method disabled, all EPG data loaded.

PC receiving DVB-C: Win7 Pro 64bit SP1

still problematic dual tuner TBS6680

PC receiving DVB-T: Win7 Home 32bit SP1

USB dual tuner LV52T

I think that jirim100 has another problem ...

Edited by Tony

I run TS Analyzer to analyze my problematic frequency DVB-T 482 MHz from TransEdit 3.9.2 and on the left side are both types of EIT.

- EIT PID = 18 - Actual TS, Present/Following (contain EPG data only for 482 MHz)

- EIT PID = 18 - Actual TS, Schedule (contain EPG data only for 482 MHz)

- EIT PID = 18 - Other TS, Present/Following (contain EPG data for 474 MHz, 490 MHz, 498 MHz, 506 MHz)

- EIT PID = 18 - Other TS, Schedule (contain EPG data for 474 MHz, 490 MHz, 498 MHz, 506 MHz)

In attached support.zip is my test today evening (I suppose). I disabled DVB-C tuner (for faster EPG update only DVB-T frequencies) and first I run EPG update with enabled "Faster EPG Updater Method" - frequency 482 MHz was wrongly again skipped (only Present/Following EPG was loaded). Then I disabled "Faster EPG Updater Method" and EPG from frequency 482 MHz was correctly loaded.

From here http://www.ulozto.net/xpPp9PPh/482-mhz-05-06-22-24-46-ts you can download recorded 10 minutes sample with all PID's except PID's containing audio, video and null packets. It's for DVB-T frequency 482 MHz.

Edited by jirim100

Actual TS, Schedule (contain EPG data only for 482 MHz)

That's what has been skipped, not the whole 482 MHz transponder, because you have received the present/following data. However; I can't see why it has been skipped. The svcdebug.log shows that the EPG updater received this transponder only for 6 seconds - looks like it was in a hurry :). I think Lars has to look after it - maybe he can see more in the log.