Strange DVBSky S952 issue

DisTreSs

Hi, I've had my S952 for several months now and while the problem I'm experiencing was obvious fairly quickly, I have been unable to find a solution to it which is why I'm calling on you experts ;)

I am currently using the latest Recordingservice, the latest DVBViewer as a client on a x64 Win7 and have the most recent FW for my mobo (ASRock B75 Pro3-M) and S952 card.

The problem is that when I open DVBViewer after a certain time of non-usage, I immediately experience an enormous amount of discontinuities ranging in the tenthousands along with a video buffer that tries to compensate without avail. Strangely enough closing and then reopening DVBViewer results in a perfect picture with zero discontinuities!

Closing and reopening DVBViewer is of course only a stopgap solution for this problem as this does not solve for example the problem I have when scheduling recordings. The only time a recording will be succesfull is if I have opened/closed/reopened DVBViewer just prior to the scheduled recording, but that kind of defeats the purpose of scheduling does it not :)

The problem therefore would seem to lie with the recordingservice and the way in which it connects to the S952 after a time of inactivity rather than the streaming between the recordingservice and the DVBViewer client. Or with the card in itself of course. I'm hoping it is not the latter, but if anyone has experienced similar issues with this card, then please let me know so I know that I can stop searching for a software based solution and simply send it in for repair.

If it is down to software or system config, I'd also like to know of course! :)

On the one hand I speculated that my mobo does not play nice with this card and its gen1 PCIe spec, but I've tried every permutation in the Bios to compensate for this without success. On the other hand I thought it was a resume from standby issue for the card, but the power settings for PCIe on my Win7 install do not allow the PCIe to go in standby. Another thing I've tried is playing with priority settings of the Recordingservice and DVBViewer client as found on the forum here somewhere.

In any case, it's been a pain in the *** to troubleshoot as every time I want to try out something new, I have to wait long enough for the problem to occur. Sometimes this makes you think 'yes, I solved it', but in the end it just turns out you didn't wait long enough for the issue to reoccur.

I guess what I'm saying is that any help is welcome as I'm at my wits end right now...

Thx in advance!

...I vote for a "resume from standby" card driver / W7 related issue...

Are you using the latest S952 driver (20130513)?
Another idea (blind for me: I don't have W7 nor a S952) is to revert the SO power saving settings for the S952: maybe if SO is aware that it really have to resume the card, it could to that in a better/stronger way...

Let us know... ;)

:bye:

Try to use the dvb clock for the discontinuities problem (view>filters>dvbsource>dvb clock)

Nope, unfortunately didn't do a thing. Thx for the suggestion though! Hadn't tried that yet.

...I vote for a "resume from standby" card driver / W7 related issue...

Are you using the latest S952 driver (20130513)?

Another idea (blind for me: I don't have W7 nor a S952) is to revert the SO power saving settings for the S952: maybe if SO is aware that it really have to resume the card, it could to that in a better/stronger way...

Let us know... ;)

Yup, am using that driver but had the same result with the previous ones as well.

What do you mean by SO power saving settings? Do you mean OS power saving settings? :)

If so I don't think that'll do anything, but I'll try it anyway...

Hey Gioxy, I am using a power profile with everything turned to max performance already.

I also deliberately tried to set the PCIexpress option in the power profile to throttle down to see if that changed anything but it didn't...

I have always been faithfull to DVBViewer because I think they were one of the first to offer such a complete and attractive solution, but just to check whether this is the problem of the card or not, I decided to install a competing open-source solution and it doesn't exhibit this behaviour...

Guess it's not down to the card then, but pureley a recording service issue. Strange that nobody else is experiencing this issue then :wassat:

Edited by DisTreSs

Hi DisTreSs,

sorry if the sample image (a very quick Internet find) mislead you, in my post I would ment exactly the opposite setting, since usually (can't know exactly in W7 I haven't) max performance = never power off, while other settings (depending on the what driver "permit" to OS) can have different effects on the card's resuming...

Can I ask why you only mention "PCIexpress option"? Is not there a proper/own DVBSky S952 entry? (Again, I haven't W7, so I can't know; in XP every peripherial has - if it has to have - a own power managment entry/page, normally shown in a own tab admist driver's options)

...a competing open-source solution and it doesn't exhibit this behaviour... Guess it's not down to the card then, but pureley a recording service issue...

...but in your first post you wrote:

...I have to wait long enough for the problem to occur...

...are you sure you've waited "so" long? ;)

Anyhow, I'm sure RS can't have such a huge bug: thousands of people would complain about it immediately!

...so your specific HW/SW/setting combination have - in same way - to be responsible...

Can you please tell me what you mean with:

when I open DVBViewer after a certain time of non-usage,

and

connects to the S952 after a time of inactivityconnects to the S952 after a time of inactivity

...has the SO gone in stand-by (or in some other type of power saving) or not?

Hi Gioxy,

yes I understand (and knew you plucked the image from somewhere since it was related to the wifi settings :D) but as I said I also tried setting the PCIExpress option to deliberately go into a power-saving state to see if this changed anything but without result.

I have several advanced options to adjust in the power plan, but nothing specifically related to any one piece of hardware. I've never known this to be the case in Windows anyway. The closest I could find in the power plan was the PCIExpress setting.

Yes I'm sure I waited long enough to see if the open source alternative had the same issue. My machine runs 24/7 without any power-saving, standby of sleep settings and typically if I try opening DVBViewer the next morning without tuner activity during the night, it will have this problem for instance. This did not occur with the open source software under this exact same scenario. Therefore I consider a whole night to be long enough ;)

I'm not sure what is the exact shortest time before this issue shows its ugly face, but generally I tend to wait for half an hour before retesting. I think you'll understand that an attempt to establish the shortest amount of time before the issue reoccurs will be very time consuming :)

Yes I agree that it is very abnormal that I seem to be the only one experiencing this issue with this card which is why I initially thought it was a hardware anomally rather than software. But not having this issue with the other software contradicts this. So what I seem to be left with is a very unique and unfortunate combination of SW/HW/Drivers/FW that triggers this. I would try and reinstall my entire system if it were not for the simple fact that other than this issue it runs great.

If you want to dig more about your issue before reinstall the entire system (not always resolutive), IMO you can try, when the issue occur:

- "View / Rebuild Graph" instead of a DVBViewer restart (-> DirectX issue)

- leaving DVBViewer started, "View / Close Graph", then deactivate/reactivate the card from "Devices Manager", then try to tune a channel (-> Power Managment issue)

- close DVBViewer and see if with Transedit the card is working properly (look for signal reception error and if preview a channel lead to the same issue)

Try also to look in S952 driver properties from "Device Manager" if there are a own Power Managment tab...

Hi again Gioxy, you seem to be on to something cause the 'Rebuild graph' option resolves the issue each and every time!

I had previously only been looking in the View/Filters/DVBSource options and had never noticed this rebuild graph option located directly under the View menu.

I've checked with dxdiag, nothing seems to be wrong with my dx11 installation (as far as dxdiag is an effective indication of this).

And having to chose this option when using the DVBViewer client is only a slight improvement from having to close and reopen DVBViewer and does nothing to solve the issue for the recording service. But if you are correct in pointing to Dx as being the culprit for this, it at least gives us something to work on.

I'll start by reinstalling Dx just to make sure, unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in any case for this great find, it helps me to search for different things now ;)

Grtz

Hi DisTreSs,

I'll start by reinstalling Dx just to make sure, unless you have any other suggestions?

A suggestion can be to reinstall also the latest version of the codecs you intend to use (the less the better, and beware from "Codec Packs", they often definitively mess up the entire DirectX!) and finally the DirectX (search also if there are updates).

On other hand, AFAIK RS don't use any DirectX feature (it simply record the stream "as is"), and I'm not sure that if you solve the DVBViewer client issue you get solved also the RS one: to make this error hunting easy, please post a support.zip file builded after a failed recording...

Edited by Gioxy
  • 5 months later...

HI all,

I just found this thread, describing the problems I'm facing at the moment. As DisTreSs described, often recordings are full of Errors or when starting reception, DVB Source shows a high amount of Discontinuities and most of the time there isn't shown any picture at all (Sometimes, no data is received at all, automated re-tune after x seconds does not work or does not show any effect...)

The only thing that helps is "Rebuild graph", but unfortunately I do not see any option to automatically do that for timers.

I'm using the newest Version of DVBViewer and recording service. Windows 7 (64 Bit) and the same DVBSky S952 as DisTreSs is using. Unfortunately he didn't reply the last posts here, nor replied to my Message so far, so I don't know if he solved his problem...

I tried all possible Hardware-Settings (direct tuning, using internal filter...) without any success. Most time this happens when switching between live-TV and records.

Maybe one of you can give me some advice?

Regards

Wildi

support.zip

@Wildi:

[i'll beg your pardon for reply in a hurry...]

It seems to me that you experience two kind of (relatively related) problem:

1) discontinuity, that normally mean poor reception: please use TransEdit to check hugely every single affected channel in similar time and whith similar weather condition

2) difficulty to start show picture: you can have the same effect of "Rebuilt Graph" at every channel change in setting Video & Audio detection in "Settings / Options / DirectX / DVBViewer filter" tab...

There also can be a great difference if the affeted channel are encripted or free... please advise about that.

...good luke and please let us know you findings...

Hello Gioxy,

thanks for your reply, but its definitely not related to bad reception. The old setup does not show any discontinuities at the same time at the same switch.

Same if I do not face the described problem, I do not see any discontinuities for hours on the new setup.

And I'm sure its not related to DirectX etc. as the discontinuities occur when recording the TS stream as well.

In a German section I found a thread (http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/50979-dvbsky-c2800e-pcie-einstellungen/page-2) discussing the problem that seem to occur on the S950, S952 and the C2800 as well. I think its related to the driver... looks as if I have to change the card.

Regards

Wildi

Hi Wildi and thanks for your replay,

sorry if my suggestions was unuseful, but as in Italy we state,

"in life we never stop learning" (or, in english, "we live and learn")...