Baffling refusal of DVBViewer to find Recording Service

neophyte

Hi

Some basics:-

PCTV nanoStick T2, driver PCTV 290e ver.5.2010.901.0
Intel Z68 Express chipset
Intel integrated graphics HD2000

Have just installed (first time ever) a version of Recording Service (ver. 1.26), and have been trying to get it to work in conjunction with DVBViewer 5.2. WITHOUT SUCCESS!

RC is installed and Trayutil icon shows, hovering mouse over it brings up "The service is idle".

DVBV -> Options -> Hardware, lists "DVB-T RTSP network device" which is set to 'Normal'. Also listed but not active are the PCTV device in both its DVB-T and -C guises, both set to 'Do not use'.

Options -> Recording Service has as 'Service address & Web-port' 127.0.0.1;8089 (same port number as in RC config -> Web/UPnP page -> Webserver panel). Drop-down list for device(s) is blank and clicking on "Test connection" results in "FAILED". ('Download channel-list on start' box is ticked).

DVBViewer opens but screen is blank, Statusbar shows "No Playback" message. Selecting a channel results in error-message "No hardware available".

Advice needed please, and warmly welcomed. What am I doing wrong?

support.zip

Hold on!

For reasons as baffling as those which caused the problem described above, I have now succeeded in getting the two to recognise and communicate with each other. This was at the nth reinstall of either or both (can't remember which or how many).

What happened was that thinking that my network controller being set to obtaining my PC's ip address automatically might be the source of the problem, I changed it to a fixed ip address. Whereupon I lost all ability to connect to the Internet.

Result was that when (at the following try) I successfully ininstalled/reinstalled DVDViewer, 'Setup' warned me it couldn't obtain some needed files and I'd have to install them manually; I told it to go ahead regardless and all - so far - has been well. I have no idea what these missing files are or how badly they're needed.

I've subsequently reinstated 'obtain ip address automatically' in my network controller settings, and got my internet connection back again. But I dare not do another reinstall of DVBViewer for fear of finding myself back at square one.

All very confusing...

(Very odd that this website doesn't provide any 'Edit' functionality)!

Just to complete this:-

Have now reverted to setting a fixed ip address, but this time (unlike before) I also entered the ip address of my gateway (router) as

'DNS Server'. I imagine the absence of this was what caused me to lose my internet connectivity the first time around because this time I haven't lost it.

DVBV -> Options -> Hardware, lists "DVB-T RTSP network device" which is set to 'Normal'. Also listed but not active are the PCTV device in both its DVB-T and -C guises, both set to 'Do not use'.

If you are using both DVB-T and DVB-C you should add another RTSP network device and configure the tuner types for them.

Options -> Recording Service has as 'Service address & Web-port' 127.0.0.1;8089 (same port number as in RC config -> Web/UPnP page -> Webserver panel). Drop-down list for device(s) is blank and clicking on "Test connection" results in "FAILED". ('Download channel-list on start' box is ticked).

Hm. You changed the HTTP Port? Why? Can you reach the webinterface on http://127.0.0.1:8089? Also I hope that the ; instead of : is a typo in your post, right? ;)

DVBViewer opens but screen is blank, Statusbar shows "No Playback" message. Selecting a channel results in error-message "No hardware available".

The tuner types of the RTSP devices are setup correctly?

As a sidenote:

127.0.0.1 always is your local host. So as long as you use 127.0.0.1 it does not matter if you are using DHCP or static IP on your computer. Do as you like.

Second note:

You can edit your post only for something like 15 minutes or so.

Edited by Moses
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Moses

Just caught-up with your helpful reply. Thanks!

Things pretty-much sorted themselves out in the end, to the extent that I managed to set up RS to work in conjunction with XBMC. I don't know what caused the hiccups to begin-with (probably just my clumsiness).

The problem that remains is that all my ensuing efforts to get hardware acceleration (by using an external player - currently MX Player) have so far been fruitless, resulting in jerky video playback even in SD. But that's a different problem from the one I posted about.