Signal strengh going to 0% after some hours

itksso

Hallo everybody,

Our school is trying to build a TVSERVER for the teachers. After intalling everything we have a couple of problems but first the information.

We have the following hardware:

TVSERVER:

Server: HP Proliant ML350 Generation 4p (G4p), 1.00 Gb RAM, 1x CPU (2x cores), 3.40 GHz,

1x HD (135 GTb), 1x HD (5 Tb through iSCSI), Intel E7250 Chipset

Graphic Card: Integrated ATI RAGE XL with 8MB SDRAM, up to 1600x1200

Special TV card from Digital Services company formed by: 1x Octopous mini PCIe Bridge + 4x DuoFlex DVB-C/T modules. All in all,

we have 8x DVB-C/T tuners.

TV Signal: we receive the tv/radio signal through a cable with both analog signal and a digital DVB-C signal.

Graphic Card driver: Standard Microsoft VGA driver, 21.06.2006, 6.1.7660.16385

Digital Services card driver (there are 3 of them in the device manager):

1. Digital Services Base Device, 20.02.2013, 2.4.2.70

2. Digital Services Capture Device, 20.02.2013, 2.4.2.70

3. Digital Services Tuner Device, 20.02.2013, 2.4.2.70

We have installed DVBViewer Pro version 5.2.7.0 and DVBViewer Recording Services v 1.26.0.0 on the server.

The idea is that the teachers use a simple browser to programe the recordings.

Everything seems to work fine (yesterday I could record 10 diferent recordings and see them later. I could also from a client computer through the browser play the recordings without problem) but...

The two problems are:

1. Today morning I could record another program but later trying to record more programs I was that the recording had 0 Kb. I could see that, using the DVBViewer interface, there was no video signal for all channels, Signal strenght is 0%. (in the status bar), I see also a there is a message that says "Zeit XXX%". XXX is different for every channel.

This problem has happened several times during the last months. If I reboot the server then I everything works again and later I fails again.

2. The "Senderliste" has the same channel, like "SRF1 deu", up to 6 times. I have check and the diference is the frequency and the symbol rate (3x channels with frecuency 378000 and 3x more with 450000 and for each frecuwncy 3 symbolrates 6900,6111,6875)

The question is: do I need all the 6 channels?

Best regards,

IT KSSO

support.zip

Hallo majstang,

Thank you very much for the answer but I'm still confuse about two points.

In the computer clients there is no DVBViewerPro installed, so I cannot disable the tuners in clients.

I have read the instructions and, if I understand correctly, I should use the "Recording Service Setup Wizard" (from DVBViewer menu->Hilfe->Rec. Service Wizard) to link the DVBViewer (installed in the server) with the Recording Service (also installed in the server) and replace(disable) the 8 tuners with 2 virtual "network devices" tuners RSTP DVB-S.

My question is this: if I do that, will it be still possible to record 8 programs at the same time? or, perhaps, I will only be able to record only two?. This is a very important point for us because several teachers want to record programs at the same time.

Recording only two programs at the same time would be not enough.

Best regards

itksso

to make it clearer, the teachers work from clients computer using only IExplorer/Firefox pointing to the port 8089 of the tvserver. So, no DVBViewer installed on the clients.

itksso

Edited by itksso

Today I have made what majstang (ant the manual) has recommended.

In the DVBViewer installed in the server, I have run "DVBViewer menu->Hilfe->Rec. Service Wizard". After that, in the DVBViewer "Optinons-> Hardware" I have two new active virtual devices:

1. DVB-C RTSP Network Device

2. DVB-C RTSP Network Device 2

I have also deactivated the 8x Digital Services DVB-C Tuner (1 to 8). The 8 tuners are now grayed.

Unfortunately, I have still the same problem. During the morning I could record approx. 10 TV programs but about an hour ago (~16h) the signal strenght went down to 0% again and I could no see or record any tv program.

What I found is that if I stop the DVBViewer Recording Services (using the small floating menu that you get clicking the right mouse button on the RS icon) and then start it again, then everything works again.

So, it looks like that the Recording Service crashes !!!!

Any idea how to solve it?

Thank you in advance for the help

best regards,

itksso

Hallo majstang,

Merci for the help.

The tvserver was running the whole day. It didn't hibernate or sleep. At school we configure all clients and, specially the servers, NOT to sleep. Hybernate is desactivated with the command "powercfg -h off".

What we have notice is that , after rebooting the tvserver, the shares were the recordings are stored were not recreated and thenDVBViewer couldn't save them.The problem was with the iSCSI-Initiator configuration. But this is solved.

Today morning, again, I didn't have video. Stopping and restarting the Recording service didn't work but rebooting the tvserver did the trick.

About uploading a new support.zip file, I tried but the support.zip file is too big now.

The forum only allows to upload files up to 414.23 KB. The new support.zip is 543KB.

I tried also both uploaders without success.

Looking inside the zip file I find that the biggest file is svcdebug.bak with 4'097KB.

Is there another way to post or to send you the support file? or, perhaps, I could send you just some of the files included in support.zip?

Best regards,

itksso

Today morning, again, I didn't have video. Stopping and restarting the Recording service didn't work but rebooting the tvserver did the trick.

Ok, that is a hard crash you're describing and usually those are caused by two things.

1. Faulty hardware - one or more tuners could be broken. To test that you can disable all tuners except the one you're testing in RS Hardware settings. Test all tuners one by one to see if you can pinpoint the troubles to a certain tuner.

2. Buggy drivers - this is harder to test. If testing all tuners one by one according to 1. and RS still crashes, you have to involve the driver/tuner manufacturer to resolve the driver issue.

Also check cables, the interface tuner connects to PC and possibly remove and re-install the tuners drivers if nothing helps. Check windows device manager if the drivers are correctly installed without any exclamation marks or such.

Regards

majstang

...another (maybe little) possibility is that your tuner device goes in some powersaving state: to thest that you can disable and re-enable the device(s) from Windows device manager; if afther that the device(s) work agan you mey deep check its powersaving settings...

Good luck...

:bye:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everybody,

I habe been testing the DuoFlex C/T cards (everyone of them with two tunners) one by one.

So, it means, that the configuration I'm estting is a Octopus V3 PCIe bridge + only 1 DuoFlex C/T at a time.

The results at the moment are not good. I have always the same problem.After less than 24 hours I lose

the TV signal. Until then the card works perfectly, recording everything correctly.

The procedure I use to make the test is the following:

0. Shutdown the server. Unplugg all cables, including the power cable.

1. I disconnect the DuoFle C/T card I have already tested.

2. I connect the new DUo Flex C/T card and connect the external TV cable to the DuoFlex C/T card.

3. Start Server

4. One I can log on the server, I stop the RS Service.

5. Then I go to the HArdware option. I rescan the devices so RS detects the new tunners and deletes the old ones.

6. I start the RD Service.

7. I go to DVBViewer, to the hardware section and I rescan again the devices. I get the 2 virtual tunners and the two real ones.

8. I disable the two real ones.

9. Test if I have signal with the DVBViewer. It's always OK.

10. Programe some recordings.

About the drivers. I checked the windows "device manager" and there is no yellow triangle for the three devices I see:

Digital services Base Device (Octopuss Classic)

Digital services Captute Device (Octopuss Classic)

Digital services Tuner Device (Octopuss Classic)

About "sleeping/hybernate" modus, I have disabled them as we always do with all our clients and servers. Perhaps, there is something in the BIOS.

Finnaly, any other recommendation?

If I don't find the solution of this problem perhpas the school will decide to use nanno.tv service instead of the local tvserver we are trying to build.

http://portal.nanoo.tv/startseite/

About "sleeping/hybernate" modus, I have disabled them as we always do with all our clients and servers. Perhaps, there is something in the BIOS.

I don't think BIOS can do anything with add-on cards when every powersaving is disabled from O.S....

But what about the dirty trick I proposed to "revive" the died device(s)? Have you ever tried it?

...you can disable and re-enable the device(s) from Windows device manager...

Hallo Gioxy,

You were right!.

Today Friday the signal was again lost and then I deactivated (withut deleting) the three drivers:

1. Digital Services Base Device, 20.02.2013, 2.4.2.70

2. Digital Services Capture Device, 20.02.2013, 2.4.2.70

3. Digital Services Tuner Device, 20.02.2013, 2.4.2.70

and activated again and the signal is back!!!. So it looks like it'a a driver or a hardware problem.

Another test I made was to record from Wendesday ~14h00 to Thursday ~10h like 23 consecutives tv programs. And, what is curios, is that the 23 recordings were OK!!!. So it means that the problem begins when the card is not recording.

Best regards,

Jaume

About "sleeping/hybernate" modus, I have disabled them as we always do with all our clients and servers

I read with more attention your replay: sorry for the misanderstunding, I wasn't referring to O.S. options, but instead to the w7 advanced power options specific for the cards AND/OR cards own powersaving options (they may have a specific tab in device manager property window), ie, respectively:

post-485-0-82991100-1379799190_thumb.png post-485-0-95054300-1379799196_thumb.png

...if powersaving is totally disabled in both places then most probably the problem is in the driver...

Hello everybody,

My update of the war:

1. The drivers of the Digital services tvcard doesn't have any powersettings options (like the ones on the second picture from Gioxy).

2. In the advanced power options in Windows 7 there ia a power setting for the PCI Express bus. I have set this option to "Aus(off)"

but it didn't make any diference. Yesterday I tested the fourth DuoFlex card and the same problem.

3. In contact with Digital Services, they think the drivers work but there is a timing problem with the PCI express bus.

More news after some more tests.

Thank you for the help.

Jaume

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

After some more tests Digital Services thinks the problem is a hardware problem by the Octopous V3 bridge (This is the crad the connects the 4x card with the tunners with the PCI slot).

Next step to test the new Octopous card.

Jaume

• 1 month later...

Hallo everybody,

At the end we found the problem. It was a hardware problem. The original Octopous V3 bridge was broken. With the replacement that Digital Services send us the card doesn't loose the signal anymore.

Thank for the help and support

Best regards,

Jaume

IT KSSO