CableStar scanning channels

boborg

A friend has cable and some channels are digital FTA. Since I have good experiences with my Skystar 2 DVB-S I suggested to him a CableStar DVB-C card.

Only one thing before he buys one. Can you scan the channels in DVBViewer without knowing the parameters for them? I ask because the cable company insists renting out a no good cheap DVB-C receiver to him and you can't even read out the frequency in there. They won't give him any information about which frequencies the digital channels are on.

Edited by boborg
Can you scan the channels in DVBViewer without knowing the parameters for them?

The DVBViewer provides DVB-C transponder lists for different QAM values. Probably your friend must try them all...

There is a bug affecting DVB-C scanning in DVBViewer 2.2 RC1, however. AFAIK fixed in 2.3 Beta. With the DVBViewer TE it should work. More about it here.

• 2 weeks later...

After digging deeper I think some channels on the cable net are broadcasted with a Symbolrate of 7146. As the Cablestar on the specs. only goes to 7000 he would not be able to use anyway if he bought one?

Edited by boborg
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Cablestar card and I yes you can use different sysbol rates, for example where I live 6875 KS/s is used, works fine with TSReader for example.

My problem is I've not figured out how to change the symbol rate when scanning for channels in the channellist/channel scan option. Symbol rate seems to always stay @ 6900 KS/s

Suggestions/input is welcomed.

You can change it in the transponder list (the CableQxx.ini file in DVBViewer\Transponders) that is used for scanning. Open it with a text editor and search/replace 6900 by the desired value.

You can change it in the transponder list (the CableQxx.ini file in DVBViewer\Transponders) that is used for scanning. Open it with a text editor and search/replace 6900 by the desired value.

Thanks, I was about to answer my own post, hadn't tried it yet and then realised that it must be obvious. Sorry for the background noise.

Edited by eto

I did get a chance briefly to test a Cablestar and I found that only the frequencies and symbolrates in the ini file were scanned while any other values you wrote inside DVBViewer are ignored.

Guess it's a DVBViewer bug since the Cablestar isn't as tested as Skystar 2 is with DVBViewer.