Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 & DVBViewer Pro

antdude

Hello.

I have it installed, but hated its included WinTV v7.2.31161 (CD 2.8a) and the free third party NextPVR v2.6.2 since I am spoiled by awesome DVBViewer Pro! Amazingly, DVBViewer Pro v4.9.6.20 (can't use v5+ due to a nasty bug with timeshift .ts recording with ATSC OTA -- see I am waiting for my http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/51428-playing-back-DVBViewer-pro-v5000s-ts-recordings-problems/ for the details) can see and use my new tuner card! I also have DVBViewer TechniSat Edition v4.5.1.28, but it couldn't use my new tuner card at all even if it sees it. :(

However, it cannot do a channel scan (finishes in one second on both tuners!). Why can't I channel scan? It just uses my old channel list. I am using the latest drivers from Hauppauge on my very old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 box.

Thank you in advance. :)

Edited by antdude

So tuning / watching channels from your old channellist works, but scanning doesn't. Is this correct?

Try to scan with TransEdit (see members area). Same problem?

Correct.

It keeps finding the same channels in TransEdit v3.9.3.0 as shown: http://i.imgur.com/jegLpqf.gif ... :(

I also seem to notice channels' signal strengths jump from 70% to 100% and back. My old HDTV tuner cards were weaker, but this is stronger but jumpy. I don't know if that is something to worry about so far.

Edited by antdude

What happens if you try to scan a single working frequency in DVBViewer (working = containing channels that you can watch)?

Select the frequency by using the updown buttons in the Channel Scan Window and click Scan Frequency.

What happens if you try to scan a single working frequency in DVBViewer (working = containing channels that you can watch)?

Select the frequency by using the updown buttons in the Channel Scan Window and click Scan Frequency.

I tried KABC's 177000 kHz (three 7.x channels). It showed 0 new channel(s) found and 0 channel(s) updated within a second. I even tried with "in-depeth search (takes long)" option. :(

I am going to sleep now so we can try again later! Also, are there logs of these scans?

Day #2: OK. This is now weird and interesting. I turned off my old Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine this morning to go to work (rarely keep it on all day). I came home to power it up and logged in.

I started up DVBViewer Pro, but I had no picture and audio for every channel I checked. Its signal strengths were at always 80% on every channels. I checked its Hardware settings and tuners were seen. So I exited DVBViewer Pro, started WinTV, and it was fine. I exited it and retried DVBViewer Pro, and it finally shows me the video and 100% signal strength on the station/channel I wanted.

What the heck? Does DVBViewer Pro need my WinTV to initalize my driver/card or something first? If so, then is there a way to have DVBViewer Pro not need me to do that manually? I will have to try more tests later (too tired and hungry right now, and want to watch TV!)

Thank you in advance. :)

What the heck?

Good question :)

If using your card with DVBViewer requires some special (proprietary) initialization by WinTV, it can not be called BDA compatible. However, this is not very likely since most cards / drivers are designed to work with Windows Media Center.

So I hope it is only a question of finding the right hardware options. At first I would try to switch Options -> Harwdare -> Direct Tuning off. If this still doesn't work, additionally untick "Use internal Network Provider".

The according setting in TransEdit is "Use standard interface" (on has the same meaning as Direct Tunining off in DVBViewer Pro).

• Like 1

If using your card with DVBViewer requires some special (proprietary) initialization by WinTV, it can not be called BDA compatible. However, this is not very likely since most cards / drivers are designed to work with Windows Media Center.

So I hope it is only a question of finding the right hardware options. At first I would try to switch Options -> Harwdare -> Direct Tuning off. If this still doesn't work, additionally untick "Use internal Network Provider".

The according setting in TransEdit is "Use standard interface" (on has the same meaning as Direct Tunining off in DVBViewer Pro).

I will try when I reboot/power off again. Right now, I don't feel like doing that. ;)

OK even more weirdness. I finished watching my TV show, so I wanted to change channel but it kept showing the same one! Like TransEdit, it was on KTTV which I was watching and trying to go a different from it. So, I tried your Options -> Harwdare -> Direct Tuning off for the new tuners. And it worked! I also can scan for channels (142 channels!!!). Wow! Awesome! I will still need to see if DVBViewer Pro works without WinTV after a computer reboot/power up. Things are looking good!!

Edited by antdude

So, I tried your Options -> Harwdare -> Direct Tuning off for the new tuners. And it worked!

Fine. For including this information in our hardware data base and setting "Direct tuning off" as default for this card I need your TransEdit.ini attached (see configuration folder). If you would be so nice... :)

• Like 1

Fine. For including this information in our hardware data base and setting "Direct tuning off" as default for this card I need your TransEdit.ini attached (see configuration folder). If you would be so nice... :)

See attached. Please note that I did not use it to scan. I used DVBViewer Pro to scan earlier (last night). I hope I don't need to rescan with this tool. Also, note that I have not fully tested with this setup. Since today is MS updates day and I will be forced to reboot and be using DVBViewer Pro later tonight, I will be doing more testings. ;)

TransEdit.ini

Edited by antdude
Please note that I did not use it to scan.

ATM not recommendable, even if it works, because there is a bug in TransEdit. It doesn't correctly assign the ATSC Source ID to scan results, which may prevent DVBViewer Pro from assigning the EPG to channels. Will be fixed in the next release.

I need the TransEdit.ini mainly because of "pci#ven_1131&dev_7164&subsys_88510070", if you know what I mean... :) This will identify your card in future.

• Like 1

ATM not recommendable, even if it works, because there is a bug in TransEdit. It doesn't correctly assign the ATSC Source ID to scan results, which may prevent DVBViewer Pro from assigning the EPG to channels. Will be fixed in the next release.

I need the TransEdit.ini mainly because of "pci#ven_1131&dev_7164&subsys_88510070", if you know what I mean... :) This will identify your card in future.

Thanks. I hope I didn't mess it up on my Sunday night when TransEdit couldn't scan correctly. :o Do I assume EPG is the OTA details like times, titles, etc.? If so, then that looks OK to me.

That's a kind of hardware ID, chipset etc. I should have written "will identify the HVR-2250 in future".

Cool. Maybe when it is ready, then DVBViewer (Pro?) can show up in http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html#tabs-4 ... ;)

OK, I think I have a new minor issue. I see a lot of deinterlaced lines. I think it is because of the tuner's dual built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoders. Is there a way for DVBViewer Pro to handle this and how to remove/hide the deinterlaced horizontal lines?

Edited by antdude
I think it is because of the tuner's dual built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoders

It's out of the game when you are using DVBViewer. Check the software MPEG2 decoder (Options -> DirectShow and View -> Filters -> Property Page of the currently used decoder)

• Like 1

It's out of the game when you are using DVBViewer. Check the software MPEG2 decoder (Options -> DirectShow and View -> Filters -> Property Page of the currently used decoder)

Weird. Now, I don't see the deinterlaced lines, and I didn't change anything. As for MPEG-2 decoder, I am using CyberLink Video/SP Decoder from PowerDVD 7 according to DVBViewer Pro's DirectX list.

Weird. Now, I don't see the deinterlaced lines, and I didn't change anything. As for MPEG-2 decoder, I am using CyberLink Video/SP Decoder from PowerDVD 7 according to DVBViewer Pro's DirectX list.

OK,I see it again with Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I fiddled enabled the deinterlaced options in my old ATI driver's CCC. That seems to fix it. I think WinTV and/or driver installed extra codecs.

Also, I did a reboot and DVBViewer Pro still works. :)

Edited by antdude

That's a kind of hardware ID, chipset etc. I should have written "will identify the HVR-2250 in future".

Hmm. I noticed my signal strength is always at 100%, but I do get errors and hiccups during my recordings. I wonder if it is not accurate?