Audio described & different audio channels - BBC HD channels &

subminiature

I have Black Gold 3600 quad card that can record 4 channels (2 Freesat, 2 Freeview HD). I am using DVBViewer to record.

When I record the programme using Hauppauge WinTV and a Hauppauge 4400 card (Freesat) I get extra audio channels and by excluding the extra audio the audio described is dropped.

Audio 1 AC3 stream
Audio 2 MPEG Layer 2
Subtitle 1-1 DVB Text
Subtitle 2-1 DVB Subpic

With DVBViewer and the Black Gold card I have one audio AAC LOADS/LATM (Freeview HD) and MPEG Layer 2 (Freeview HD Lang NAR) and can't separate the audio described when present.

Is there a way around this?

VideoRedo (which I use to head and tail recordings) when it gives audio stream as AAC LOAS/LATM Media Player plays silent. I can convert this to ADTS but there must be a way around this.

I thought the hardware only captured the stream, so don't understand when I get different audio for the same channel (on Freesat) recorded by the different software.

Then there is the problem of switching off audio described.

Click on Channel, then Channel Editor. Some of the channels have a little arrow thing next to them, click on that and you'll see that there are two options for that channel - (AC3,eng) or (eng) [in my case] and (NAR). If the default for a channel is (NAR), click the arrow and drag the (AC3,eng) entry over the (NAR) one. Do the same for all the others showing (NAR), save using the floppy disk icon below, and you're sorted.

(Yes, I wish there was a better way too.)

Edited by SimonP
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clear description.

Will this also allow me to remove the audio described.

I can't check until I have a programme that includes this - later tonight I guess.

I've never understood why, but in DVBViewer it seems to be an either-or situation. It doesn't seem possible to save the ts stream with both AC3 and Audio Described so you have to select which you want using the method I described.

Does anyone know why this is the case?