skystar 2 no picture

andyt

Hi,

I have a new skystar 2 PCI card in my dell 2.4ghz PC with XP home.

I know the dish, LNB & cable are OK and aligned properly because they work when connected to a normal set top digital box connected to the TV.

Bascially the problem is I get nothing in DVBViewer or the tv4pc that comes with the card etc. My signal status is always 0% ?

I am trying to get Astra 2D transponder 45 etc.

Any ideas on the way forward ?

I am using driver 4.2.11.9999 b2c2

Of course I realise it may be the card and not DVBViewer, but I thought maybe someone here could help. I will also try to get assistance from skystar / technisat

Thanks!

Andrew

have you done a channel scan on astra 2d?

Thanks for your reply

Yes, many many times.....(!)

I am trying (as a first step) to pick up transponder 45 on 2d (10.773, horiz, 22000 SR, 5/6 fec) - as shown on http://www.astra2d.co.uk/frequency.htm

I have tried a stepsize of 1, and all I see is the Frequency and PAT boxes go green occaisionally, "found" always stays at 0

As I said, the dish, lnb cable work ok on our dig receiver connected to the TV.

Do you know of anyway to check the skystar card is OK? it is OK in device manager etc, but what does that tell me??!

Cheers,

Andrew

..you're living within the footprint I suppose? Dunno what's wrong. I will check later to scan this transponder. Are you using the pro version of the DVBViewer or the TE?

Yes, as I said I can get this transponder OK on our dig box receiver so thats all OK,

I'm using the TE edition, I reckon somethings up with the card or its installation, but the support on skystar website seems to be non-existant.

But if you could try scanning this transponder with the default settings inside dbviewer that would be helpful.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by andyt

I am a little new to this satellite thing, please can you look at this spec of my card to see if is OK to receive astra 2d, I always get mixed up with mhz & ghz... Thanks, Andrew

Specifications

- Data streams up to 90 Mbps

- Reception of digital satellite TV and radio programmes

- Excellent digital tuner sensitivity

- Pre-programmed programme list

- PVR (Personal Video Recorder) function

- Electronic Programme Guide

- Teletext function

- DiSEqC 1.0 and 1.1

- Operational support in 25 languages

- Plug & Play operation

- Input frequency range 950 MHz - 2150 MHz

- Symbol rates 2-45 MS/sec (SCPC and MCPC)

- FEC 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 (automatic adjustment)

- Supplied with Sat4PC and DVBViewer software

- Operating systems: Windows 98SE/ME/NT4.0SPG/2000/XP

no lock means the tuner doesn´t get any useful signal.

Have you checked your lnb and diseqc settings?

..attached you´ll find a fresh channel scan for 28E. The category is frequency (services per transponder), universal lnb and diseqc B/A. The settings for lnb/diseqc can be modified in the root for all services. Go to your channel list, click on import and open the 28E.ini file.

Derrick,

Thanks alot for the ini file, that had everything in it I need... But it still does not work - I get 0% signal.

If I plug the same coax cable into my TV dig sat receiver it works, so I know the lnb etc is OK.

I reckon its the card or the PC. I am not sure about my graphics card. I have seen stuff about needing a 3D card, I'm not sure what I've got, its just the onboard Dell one, would I still get a signal reading even without the right graphics card. I am about to send my skystart card back.

Thanks alot for your help.

Andrew

Hi andyt

We don't know nothing about your antenna system and we must know it to try to answer to your problem; for example: how many LNB there was on your dish? Is perhaps a condominal system? Your LNB is capable to receive digital signal (i.e. your box is NOT analogic)?

From what you write I can suppose that you have 2 LNB and some kind of DiSEqC switch between them and the cable you connect to SS2; if this is true maybe you have simply to find the right DiSEqC setting... depending on your antenna system, the right one can be anyone you find in the list... also take in mind that the SS2 card can drive only DiSEqC v. 1.0 and 1.1 equipment, while your box can more likely drive also v. 2.0...

So, to allow us to help you, tell as some more about your antenna system...

On the other hand, if you have any doubt about the capabilities of you render system (and of DVBViewer) you only have to find some MPEG2 file and try to play it; or, if you have a DVD Player software installed on your PC, you can try to watch it with DVBViewer...

Don't give away your SS2, you could mourn it...

Gioxy :radscorpion:

Gioxy,

Thanks for your long reply.

First thing, I have DVBViewer technisat version, so I am limited on what I can try with it, but I have just downloaded a small low res mpeg and I could see that OK in DVBViewer.

Now to your question about my dish etc.

I have only 1 LNB, I am taking the cable out (disconnecting) of my digital box receiver (echostar DBS700FTA - definately a digital system) and plugging it into my skystar card. I can view astra 2d stuff OK on my television so I know my dish, lnb & cable are OK.

I do not know much about DiSEqC but with only 1 lnb I guess I don't need to know about it. In DVBViewer channel setup I just select "None" is that OK?

I really think my skystar card is not working, I just get no signal at all, but on the settop box I get over 60% all the time. (same dish/lnb/cable)

I have asked my supplier about getting a replacment skystar card.

Cheers,

Andrew

..maybe you have fried the lnb_power_supply of your card. The power supply is not always switched off after closing the programm. Always shut down your pc first before fiddling with the cable.

To check you could measure the voltage at the output of the card (use a resistor as a load)

Always shut down your pc first before fiddling with the cable.

To check you could measure the voltage at the output of the card (use  a resistor as a load)

I am currently also in contact with the supplier of the card, I would rather wait to hear what he says, before I start connecting resistors to the card, but what size would I use, and would I put the meter in parallel or series with the resistor and what voltage should I expect to see,

"Always shut down your pc first before fiddling with the cable." it does not mention this in the documentation that comes with the card!

Thanks a lot for everyones help, this is an excellent forum.

Andrew

@ Klausing

condominal system

Gioxy what kind of satellite system is this?

condominium: "A building or complex in which units of property, such as apartments, are owned by individuals and common parts of the property, such as the grounds and building structure, are owned jointly by the unit owners." (source: Dictionary.com)

So "condominial system" is a building collective antenna system, with one dish that serve all the apartment through a multiswitch, that in some case is setted in a way that is difficult to drive for our SS2 but is ok for other equipment...

But yes, I know, you only want to joke... :bye:(w00t):radscorpion:

Gioxy :D