Current best way to run an .exe when DVBViewer Pro starts?

mrinne

Hi!

Short question: What is the current best way to run another command line .exe when DVBViewer pro starts - whether by timer (no plugins or services) or manually?

Alternatively: Does someone have a working DVBViewer + Win7 64-bit + TechniSat DVB-PC TV Star PCI card setup? How did you do it?

----------------------------------------------

Longer stuff:

The actual problem: I recently migrated my years old DVBViewer system XP -> Win7 64-bit, DVBViewer very_old -> 5.2.9.0. My TechniSat Airstar PCI-card is not playing along nicely, though: The newest driver from TechniSat (4.6.0.9999, 2010) gets stuck when waking up from hibernation. There are also BDA drivers, but they are even worse: If I close the graph and try to retune a channel, both video and audio start clipping. After that I didn't find any other way to normalize the situation than a reboot. With the non-BDA drivers a disable - enable driver cycle seems to do the trick.

Half-solution: Taken from an older forum discussion, this seems to get the driver running:

> C:\bin\devmanview.exe /disable_enable "TechniSat DVB-PC TV Star PCI"

However using the windows task scheduler to run this "on workstation unlock" or "at log on" or both hasn't produced a reliable result - at the latest the second consecutive timer recording will fail, because the TechniSat driver is stuck. Running the disable-enable manually typically gets the driver running, but something more reliable is needed. I don't even need to do the disable_enable cycle every time the computer starts. It would be better and enough to do it whenever DVBViewer starts. Trying to figure out how to do that, I got stuck with instructions from 2004-2008, which may not be valid anymore:

1) make a batch script and change scheduler.ini so that a .bat-script is run instead of DVBViewer.exe. This would sound promising, but my current installation doesn't have a scheduler.ini. I don't know if one is used anymore (?) or what would be the default content if I made one? Which folder should I put it in, program or configuration?

2) use the "-x" parameter to trigger a script. The command line parameter would nicely go into "scheduler settings", but I couldn't find instructions how exactly to use it. This post from Lars in 2006 comes closest:

"Then start the DVBViewer with the commandline DVBViewer.exe -x[your-commandNr]. This should work without problems. For the definitions of the commands.vbs have a look into the com-Doku I think I wrote every needed there."

The sizable "DVBViewer COM Interface" documentation is from 2006, still valid? I couldn't find a "commands.vbs" in my current installation, but "actions.ini" might be something similar? Also, I don't have experience in writing .vbs-scripts.

All help appreciated!

Mikko

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestions!

Looks like I stumbled upon a solution here: http://superuser.com/questions/678686/windows-7-after-hibernation-scheduled-task-not-starting

Instead of triggering the .exe "On workstation unlock" or "At log on" I'm now triggering it:

- On an Event

- Basic

- Log: System

- Source: Power-Troubleshooter

- Event ID: 1

Based on a dozen quick tests I have 100% success rate so far, so keeping my fingers crossed. This doesn't quite answer my question above of running an .exe when DVBViewer starts, but seems to be a reliable way to react to wakeup from Hibernation and would be enough to solve my problem, if it keeps working.

If it doesn't, my next attempt would be to create something along the lines of Lars' suggestion above using the "-x" parameter to execute a script. Looks like all the pieces I need would be derivable from this post:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/41137-intelligentshutdownvbs/

majstang, kafel: I agree it doesn't make sense to extend the life of the TechniSat, but after spending far too much time on a PC-based system over the years already, my next HW upgrade will probably be a dedicated consumer tuner / recorder box. TBS looks nice and a 6220 or 6280 are probably the ones I would go for, if any.

QBox User: My task scheduler doesn't have anything saying "on wake", but hopefully the event trigger shown above will accomplish the same.