No data within one minute, restarting!

beeswax

I've had this problem for a while and before I sit down and write a horrible script to try and intercept it and fix, I thought I'd see if it can be fixed in DVBViewer first. This happens occasionally meaning I have to babysit DVBViewer a lot of the time to make sure it's recording properly.

The problem can occur on any channel, and I mostly record FTA channels. When it happens, the Recording Service can never rectify the problem itself. All I have to do the make it work is stop/disable the timer for the recording and then immediately re-enable it, the recording then starts fine. I don't have to restart the RS or take any other action so what I can't understand it why a retune performed by RS doesn't solve the problem but toggling the timer does.

I found a couple of other threads about this particular message but none of those are relevant. The only one that contained a suggested fix was to disable the "Open whole transponder" tickbox but that's ticked and greyed out for me. Help!

support.zip

"MS Media Center Receiver Service: Running"

Very likely something interferring with the DVB Recording Service. Disable the media center and try again.

Oh, and you have to disable the physical devices in the DVBViewer and use network devices pulling data from the RS.

The wiki is your best friend here

Edited by blasgl

The Media Center service needs to be running in my case for distributing TV to other rooms in the house, it's never used for scheduled recordings though and the in-band guide downloading is disabled to prevent MC from ever trying to use a tuner in the background. While I understand you pointing it out, I don't believe it has anything to do with the problem - otherwise, a quick toggle of the timer wouldn't solve the issue.

Let's assume for a moment MC was tying up the tuner to do something (even though it isn't) - as soon as it stopped doing this, the next time DVBV RS tried a re-tune, the recording should start properly but this isn't the case. I can leave the RS "re-tuning" forever and a day and it will never start recording. The moment I toggle the timer on/off, it bursts into life.

I don't understand your second point at all. :(

Edited by beeswax

At the moment you are using three (3) programs that have unrestricted access to your TV tuner card and most probably they are colliding and causing the issues you see in the recording service.

1. Temporarily disable the Media Center.

2. Go here http://www.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/ and follow closely the instructions to set up the viewer and the recording service to work together.

3. Once you have the RS working properly enable the media center again and see if you have issues.

4. If you have issues decide whether you want the media center OR the recording service to record TV shows and share media in your network.

I appreciate the help however I'm not going to disable Media Center. I don't use DVBViewer Pro (the stand-alone application) at all. It's my understanding that DVBViewer Pro will do absolutely nothing with tuner hardware in the background unless you launch it, are you saying this isn't the case?

Anyway, what I'm really trying to get to here is not necessarily what initially causes the RS's inability to start a recording cleanly but why it can't recover from the problem itself when this issue occurs. Manually toggling the timer solves the problem but the automatic re-tune/reset doesn't do the job so what does toggling a timer do that RS's retune/reset routine doesn't?