RS 1.28 crashes and requires reboot

CupawnTae

I'm running DVBViewer Pro on two tuners and Recording Service 1.28 on two further separate tuners. DVBViewer is not currently connecting to RS as a client.

Occasionally RS crashes and won't start without a reboot.

Most recent crash reported:

Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00408A11 in Modul 'DVBVservice.exe'. Lesen von Adresse 615D8594

Support.zip attached. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

support.zip

Edited by CupawnTae
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it a fresh install or an upgrade install?

Did you have the same problem with previous versions?

systeminfo file indicates Media Centre is still running in background. The service must be stopped to prevent conflicts.

Thanks for the replies...

Is it a fresh install or an upgrade install?

Did you have the same problem with previous versions?

To be honest, I can't remember at this stage. I've been running DVBViewer Pro for years on XP, and experimenting with different setups to try to improve stability, including updating DVBViewer and RS regularly. I'm controlling DVBViewer Pro via the COM interface from a C# app, and found it would hang occasionally (but RS was usually pretty stable). So I did a clean install of Windows 7 and the latest DVBViewer Pro and RS... And may well have updated it since then. Can you think of any way to check?

It's one of those annoying problems that happens so infrequently that by the time it recurs you've forgotten what happened the last time. And this time I finally decided to post the crash log. And so far it hasn't reoccurred since.

systeminfo file indicates Media Centre is still running in background. The service must be stopped to prevent conflicts.

I don't use Media Centre, so that's no problem, but what kind of conflicts do you mean? And if there were conflicts would it not be likely to cause issues more often than every few weeks? It's not configured to use any of the hardware for example.

Also, which service? The only one I see running at the moment is ehRecvr - "Windows Media Center Receiver Service" - is that the one you mean?

Yes, the Receiver service should be stopped. It's known to cause conflicts. Search the forum using "ehRecvr" for examples.

Thanks, I've disabled the service, hopefully that will help, although it'll be hard to tell given that it happens so infrequently... If I have another crash I'll report back.

Thanks, I've disabled the service, hopefully that will help, although it'll be hard to tell given that it happens so infrequently... If I have another crash I'll report back.

Probably not! The "Hard crashes" you are experiencing are most likely caused by this old device driver:

=== FlyTV Express X1 MST-STA2 ===

Description = FlyTV Express X1 MST-STA2
DeviceID = PCI\VEN_1131&DEV_7162&SUBSYS_08605168&REV_00\4&CFE6D8B&0&00E1
DriverVersion = 1.33.0.1
DriverDate = 16/11/2006
Manufacturer = Lifeview

Hardware and drivers from 2006 can't be expected to work hasslefree on such a new OS as Win7. Maybe you should retire that piece of hardware all together?

Hardware and drivers from 2006 can't be expected to work hasslefree on such a new OS as Win7.

Well, perhaps but really I don't see why not - plenty of time for them to have ironed out bugs. Also, those drivers were installed automatically by Windows update, so presumably they've been WHQL'ed etc. I know that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but TBH I'd rather be running a rock-solid XP system with 2005 hardware and drivers than brand-new, flashy and feature-filled but not battle-hardened tech that fails more often.

If there was a way to be sure it was that driver, I would drop it in a heartbeat, but I really don't want to spend money replacing it with something else only to discover it hasn't solved the problem and/or has introduced new issues, which is what happened the last time I tried it.

Unfortunately with the problem happening so infrequently, any change I make to try to fix it is pretty much impossible to validate 100%, so unless there's something definitive in the logs to point the finger, it's a real pain...

In most cases the logs doesn't point in any direction when it comes to "hard crashes". If you don't wanna remove it just disable the device in either windows device manager or in RS WebConfiguration Hardware Tab, so it won't get used.

If you don't wanna remove it just disable the device

Removing it isn't a problem. But since the time between failures is so long and unpredictable (it's been over 2 weeks since I last saw this particular issue), disabling or removing it won't tell me anything for sure. I wouldn't know when to expect a failure, so not seeing one doesn't mean the problem is gone.

What I will do is change the preference order of the devices and maybe introduce some dummy timers to give them a workout (there are multiple daily timers running all the time though, so it's not lying completely idle currently). If I can reproduce the issue with another device it will suggest it's not the device/driver's fault. If I can't reproduce it at all ever again, well I guess I should just be happy with that :original:

Thanks all for your help so far.