OSD quality issue

highyield

There's a weird effect, which lowers the quality of the characters and images that compose the visible OSD layer. It only occurs when using the standard EVR, while a video is being rendered, but not when the video playback is off and not when the playback is paused.

The issue affects older versions than 5.3.0 and 5.3.0, but it's much more visible and quite annoying, with the new default OSD skin (Envy), due to the thinner fonts and OSD elements.

I've tried other OSD settings, in OSD Appearance -> Quality settings, but I don't see any improvements.

Screenshots: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmtgvy

support.zip

Edited by highyield

It seems to affect the OSD only when rendering 16:9 content (SD and HD). With 4:3 content, it looks fine.

Edited by highyield

Thanks, but the fix (xml file) doesn't work for me. The issue affects all OSD menus, not just the EPG. It also affects the old skin, but is less visible, due to bulkier OSD elements.

Please observe the aliased, pleasant characters, when the video playback is off, compared to unaliased-like characters, while the video is being rendered.

My DVBViewer install is a clean install.

post-122439-0-02641800-1398850534_thumb.png

post-122439-0-09202900-1398850540_thumb.png

Edited by highyield

It only occurs when using the standard EVR, while a video is being rendered,

The issue affects older versions than 5.3.0 and 5.3.0, but it's much more visible and quite annoying, with the new default OSD skin (Envy), due to the thinner fonts and OSD elements.

This happens with the Standard EVR (with EVR Custom OSD is fine for all OSD Skins).

How much it is visible depends on the OSD-Skin resolution (and video resolution?) (old default => 756*576 | Envy 1280*720).

I am afraid this can't be fixed (use EVR Custom instead).

Edited by nuts

I think I understand now. It's how EVR mixes the bitmaps with the video (while scaling). I guess I'll live with it, until this gets fixed: http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/51918-uac-secure-desktop-causes-paused-video-to-jump-a-few-seconds/

One more question: I don't know how DVBViewer displays the OSD, when using the standard EVR (I thought it uses some SetAlphaBitmap method), but isn't there a way to set the Direct3D filtering mode, to obtain a better result, when scaling?

Edited by highyield

Please as mentioned above, always use the EVR Allocator/Presenter. There is no real need to use the EVR Mixer since this one mixes the output and the osd data which looks awful. The Allocator/Presenter runs perfectly well since several years and produces the best rendering quality in comparison to the other modes. To be honest i wanted to get rid of all the obsolete output modes since a while but somebody always misses functions you think they are outdated ;)

Christian

I wouldn't have switched to the standard EVR renderer, if it weren't for the other issue I've mentioned.

Edited by highyield