TV Recordings "lost"

antijape

Hi, and first of all thanks for a great program. I've been using it for years now. I now have a small problem with my old recordings. I recently installed a new NAS (Zyxel nsa325v2) and copied all the recordings (.ts) there. When starting the copy windows warned me something like "Are you sure you want to copy this files without its properties?" which I answered yes. As far as I know this is related to different file system and some of the NTFS extra properties will be lost (title, subject etc). I also understood that this shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if it's related to this problem but now DVBViewer cannot see these files anymore. They are there and can be played with vlc for example. I've tried to update the recordings database, restarted computer etc several times. I also tried to copy one of the old files back (and change the recordings folder back to local) but it didn't help. Recording to new NAS works and all the new recording are shown. Also if I copy one of the new ones to local disk DVBViewer can see it without a problem. What might be the problem and is the anyway I could fix it? DVBViewer is ver. 5.0.0.0 (didn't like all the changes in newer). Thx!

See the "File Property Copier" tool in the Members Area.

Thanks for the reply. I tried this but no help since I don't have the original files anymore... If I drag one of these old files to Property Copier it just says No properties. One of the new recordings work and Property Copier finds properties from them. Does anyone know what properties DVBViewer needs to show the files? And what might be the easiest way to add these? In Win Explorer I'm unable to edit any properties...

I requires a refresh of the recording db to make them visible again.

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Options_Recorder

Thanks for this also, it pointed me to right direction. The refresh has been done several times without help but this clause helps a bit: "For this to succeed you need either a Informations file or the has to have the file info in the recording. A rebuild only by filename is not possible." So the Rebuild doesn't work since I do not have Informations file and the file info is lost. I'll try to find an example of the Infofile and see if adding them helps.

Nope, no help from adding the infofiles. I let DVBViewer create an infofile for new recording and then edited it to match one old recording -> update database but still cannot see it. I also tried the little helper Recording Properties editor and created new file for one old recording but help from there either. Any ideas what properties does the file need or how should I (re)create the properties or the properties files?

If the info files are lost it wont help ofc.

Another solution is to move the recordings to a path where the Media Center Video part is finding them.

The file properties are from Windows file system. Right click a recording and select Properties. The bad is, the propeties from Win95 to Current changed once in a while. You NAS has probably the properties of samba which is WinNT if i remember well.

I let DVBViewer create an infofile for new recording and then edited it to match one old recording -> update database but still cannot see it. I also tried the little helper Recording Properties editor and created new file for one old recording but help from there either. Any ideas what properties does the file need or how should I (re)create the properties or the properties files?

I tried two methods and they showed in the refreshed database. Firstly, copying the properties from one file to another using the Copier tool meant the recording showed up as a duplicate of the existing one. Editing a new .txt file from a template worked just fine. Just check the filename is the same for both .ts and .txt files.

I tried two methods and they showed in the refreshed database. Firstly, copying the properties from one file to another using the Copier tool meant the recording showed up as a duplicate of the existing one. Editing a new .txt file from a template worked just fine. Just check the filename is the same for both .ts and .txt files.

Thanks again for the replys. This is exactly what I did, but still the recordings don't show up. I also updated DVBViewer and copied all the old recordings to local just in case. But there is some progress: I made a new recording with .txt file and then copied&renamed txt to match one old one -> db refresh. I did not open the txt and so did not edit it. Now the recording showed (!), but was ofc named as the new one. I edited the file to match old one (just the dates and titles) -> db update -> it was still named/dated as the new one. Tried update again, reboot etc but no help. Here's when it got more interesting: I made a new recording again -> copied&renamed it and also edited the file to match old one. Started DVBViewer -> db update -> recording doesn't show up! So I thought it must be that the encoding of the .txt file got messed up somehow. Again I made new recording and used File Encoding checker (http://encodingchecker.codeplex.com/) to see the new and non-edited .txt files encoding. Older (edited) files encoding is UTF8 but the new non-edited is unknown? And I'm stuck again... Could some of you try to check the .txt-file encoding and see what it says? Maybe if I could find out the proper encoding I could hand-make the .txt files and get the recordings to show up.

Hi!

.txt file must be UTF-8 without BOM (UTF-8 Raw). Download Notepad++ and do all editing with it. It has an encoding menu making it easy to set the correct one. If you are using .log files also (not mandatory for rebuilding the db) they work fine with ANSI encoding.

I recommend you to first delete the recordings database file if having tried rebuild it with files using the wrong encoding. Otherwise you will get all sorts of trouble.

Edited by majstang

Hi!

.txt file must be UTF-8 without BOM (UTF-8 Raw). Download Notepad++ and do all editing with it. It has an encoding menu making it easy to set the correct one. If you are using .log files also (not mandatory for rebuilding the db) they work fine with ANSI encoding.

I recommend you to first delete the recordings database file if having tried rebuild it with files using the wrong encoding. Otherwise you will get all sorts of trouble.

Thank you for this! The problem was the encoding. "Normal" Notepad saved the file as UTF8 and it seems that DVBViewer cannot handle that. When I edited the file with Notepad++ and saved it as UTF8 without BOM the old recording appeared to DVBVIewers recordings list! So problem solved and now my kids can access their old cartoons again. Thanks again for everyone!