May someone suggest a workflow to follow wit the recorded files from D

MGadAllah

I am really do hope if someone may help me and suggest a workflow for what shall I do to move recorded files.

As I've mentioned in the other thread that DVBViewer Pro is installed on a machine in the educational lab which has no internet access but has local network access.

The computer used with the DVBViewer Pro is Dell OptiPlex GX 620 Pentium D running windows 8 Pro 32x with a 3 GB DDR2 Ram.

The computer has no other purposes or activity except the DVBViewer Pro for the recording and nothing else.

There are 2 hard drives in the computer, one is 80 GB for operating system, and the other is 2 TB dedicated for recording.

We are recording the main governmental education shows for the 1st grade of primary school in order to re-display it later on on the classes.

The transponder has 6 channels, so we are recording the whole transponder channels for the whole day.

I forget to mention that I am working in the place and it is a governmental and a non profit organization, so no copy right violation here ;)

so at the end of the day I've got 6 recorded files , one for each channel, and each one is about 23 or 24 GB size.

We use videoredo to edit the file and eliminate unwanted parts.

because the Dell OptiPlex GX620 is a very poor computer so it will not handle the files or encode it as fast as it should.

So we got a new computer with i7 2600k and 16 gb ram ddr3 and nvidia GTX 550TI.

But The problem now is how to move the files as fast as possible from the computer recording the files to the computer (i7) to edit and encode?

A gigabit switch, or eSata. Depends on what your equipment can do. If both have USB3, it is the fastet way to move the files. But it looks like your Dell ís very old. So i think the only way is Ethernet. Why dont you move the tuners, and DVBViewer to the i7 machine?

A gigabit switch, or eSata. Depends on what your equipment can do. If both have USB3, it is the fastet way to move the files. But it looks like your Dell ís very old. So i think the only way is Ethernet. Why dont you move the tuners, and DVBViewer to the i7 machine?

I do have a gigabit dlink Ethernet pci card and not the built-in eathernet socket, and have a d-link gigabit switch.

not my decision to move the tuner and you can imagine my status when you face such rules :(

I tried tera copy but it is about 25 mb/second which is very slow.

any other way to do so ? something like 60 or 70 mb/second.

Maybe 25Mb/sec are a GX620 HD or chipset limit... dunno if there can be some improvement, but for that kind of file transfer I would prefer "FreeFileSync".

Or maybe you would prefer to record the streams directly in new PC, there are two way:

1) share a new PC folder and configure DVBViewer on the old PC to use that folder for all recordings (add it in Settings/Options/Recorder/Directory); as fa as I remember UNC path are recomended ("\\NewPC\RecordingFolder");

2) install Recording Service on old PC and use a 2nd copy of DVBViewer on new PC to record into its own HD.

IMO, if there are no other big traffic on the lan, there will be no problem to record 6 stream at the same time across a Gbit LAN...

:bye:

2) install Recording Service on old PC and use a 2nd copy of DVBViewer on new PC to record into its own HD.

:bye:

What is the use of the Recording Service and a copy of DVBViewer Pro on the GX620 machine, and have another copy of DVBViewer Pro on the new PC?

I am a bit confused, in case I am using GX620 to record using DVBViewer Pro, what is the exact use of the Recording Service with another DVBViewer Pro copy on the new PC?

Please explain more.

Recording Service is the server. DVBViewer Pro is the client, and can run on any local network machine, including the server one. The server normally handles the recordings but the client can do it as well, receiving the live stream from the server and storing it on a local folder.

RS is more difficult to set up, but more flexible to use - it can play back recordings to other network devices, including tablets.

I don't know how well your network would handle a whole transponder (~20Mbps?)

The scope is

...to record the streams directly in new PC...

so you don't need anymore to transfer recorded files between the two PCs because in either way they are written directly on the new PC.

BTW, my first proposal is very simple and fast to setup to test LAN reliability.

Another possibility is to move the old PC internal big HD to a external box with a GB LAN connection to transform it in a Network Attached Storage (sampleNAS1, sampleNAS2); in that way you can record from old PC continuosly while you can also access (I suggest only for read it) all recorded file from new PC (even those ongoing!), to process and save them on the new PC HD; if VideoRedo don't pretend to read the worked file all at once before process it, I'm confident that it can't harm the ongoing records from old PC on the same HD in the NAS...

Feel free to ask me more about... :bye:

Thanks a lot for the brain storming.
Really very very helpful approach but the only problem is the cost wise as this way I will need to get one or two external hard drive.
I have been thinking about files and that leads me to think about away dedicated for file transfer which is FTP.
So I've installed filezilla server on the GX620 Dell OptiPlex and installed filezilla client on the new computer.
Added a new user and shared folders with its aliases in the filezilla server side.
Connected to the filezilla server in the dell machine using filezilla client from the new computer and i was typing computer name in the url and user and password added in the filezilla server.
and I was amazed by the speed.
Here is a short video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS0wiPNqDas

please choose high quality to view the video.

I think I am happy with such speed for the time being and maybe later on I can buy large SSD in both sides on old and new computers to gain more speed.