Wrong 16:9 aspect ratio

MaxMeise

Hello,

i tried 2.2 and 2.3 beta, 1280x720p and 1920x1080i.

Every channel, except the HD1 and Euro1080 HDTV on Astra 19.2 are shown as 4:3.

This is o.k. for 4:3 material :D , black bars at left and right side. But

16:9 material ist shown with black bars on all 4 sides.

I tried different aspect ratios 16/9 14/9, best width, but no one shows

the correct 16:9 on the screen.

Any idee ?

best regards,

frank

If you mean the SAT1 stream this is the normal programm with black bars.

Which station have at the moment on astra 1280x720p ?

Hello,

my desktop size was set to 1280x720p or 1920x1080i, thats what i meant. Both HD Channels send 108?i.

What i want to say is, a lot of movies are stated as 4:3 but you can clearly see that they are in 16:9,

and than i see them in correct format, but black bars on all four sides. I´m seeking a flag for overriding the guessed aspect ratio.

In ProgDVB you have a option to choose the format

for letterboxed 16:9 format.

Works, but not pretty usefull, because it does some funny zooming that decreases

the picture quality

best regards,

frank

I dont understand your problem. All HDTV Channels works properly. I setted aspect ratio to auto and video looks normal. But if you like you can set it what ever you want.

Can you make a screenshot about your problem?

Hello,

I dont understand your problem. All HDTV Channels works properly

Thats correct. Unfortunately we don´t have that much HDTV material here

in Germany, sometimes i have to look good old PAL. ;)

Ok, here is the screenshot, it isn´t fullscreen, but you can see my problem with black bars on all sides.

Hopeyfully you can read that in the bottom line is a 4:3. The aspect ratio is auto.

In fullscreen this 16:9 movie has about 60% of the screen :D

best regards,

frank

post-1-1101664126_thumb.jpg

I´m seeking a flag for overriding the guessed aspect ratio.

Hm, it is really 4:3 since the black bars on the top and the bottom belong to the picture. Pro7 doesn't broadcast in anamorphic 16:9.

But I really don't understand your problem. If the width is once set there's no need to modify it, it fits for both 4:3 and 16:9.

Bye, Oliver

Well, we already had something like this with BBC channels (reported be Derrick). It happens if a 4:3 picture is broadcasted in a 16:9 container: The video headers say it's 16:9, but actually it's 4:3 with black bars at both sides (added by the broadcaster).

Ok, but this is a different thing: Here we have a 16:9 shaped screen plus a 16:9 picture in a 4:3 container - black bars added at the top and bottom. These bars are part of the picture and can't be removed without re-encoding the stuff.

So the 4:3 picture height (including the bars) exactly fits your screen height. The horizontal size is set according to the 4:3 aspect ratio reported by the video headers. That's why you get additional black bars at both sides. Since the top/bottom bars are part of the picture, no software will be able to recognize that it's 16:9 without analyzing the picture content - actually no software does it, because it's quite expensive.

Unfortunately there's only one solution at the moment: Using the sliders under Settings/ Zoom for manual adjustment - not very convenient :D . One thing that could be done in future: A one-click-option for (re-)storing this adjustment.