Sending the wrong audio track (XBMC)

alx359

I'm a customer using the latest DVBViewer/RS, with XBMC. For some reason, I'm getting the wrong audio track in a multilanguage channel (EuroNews at Astra 19.2). I'm getting the top-list/parent track (German), while a different one was configured in favourites.xml:

<entry name="6">2359890891784944116|EuroNews (spa)</entry>

Frankly, I have no problems with that entry in DVBViewer itself. So it seems somehow XBMC related, but their forum has not been helpful, and I still suspect there's an arcane RS configuration setting I'm unaware of, as this issue manifests in XBMC "Frodo" and "Gotham" alike, both fully Spanish configured, AFAICT.

Thanks.

Any help debugging this? Have been reading and tried all the tweaks I could think of (including messing around Tweaker.exe language settings)

This is what I got for EuroNews (spa) from TransEdit: But don't know what to make from this.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Astra_19.2_E_12227_H>
<ES PID="2437" Name="MPEG Audio">
<StreamType HValue="0x03" Name="MPEG Audio (ISO/IEC 11172)"/>
<Descriptor HValue="0x0A" Name="ISO 639 Language">
<DescriptorLength Value="4"/>
<Language String="spa"/>
<AudioType Value="1" Name="Clean Effects"/>
</Descriptor>
<Descriptor HValue="0x52" Name="Stream Identifier">
<DescriptorLength Value="1"/>
<ComponentTag Value="6"/>
</Descriptor>
</ES>
</Astra_19.2_E_12227_H>

Thankful for any suggestions.

Make sure that the Channel ID is correct.

Open the DVBViewer Chennel list Editor > right click on EuroNews (spa) > Coppy ID to Clipboard

and past it in a editor and compare it with the one in the first post.

Thank you for your reply.

I already did this, before asking for help in the forums.

From DVBViewer "Copy ID to cipboard":

2359890891784681972|EuroNews (ger)

2359890891784944116|EuroNews (spa)

In C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\favourites.xml

<entry name="6">2359890891784944116|EuroNews (spa)</entry>

(yes, it's the same):

As mentioned, in DVBViewer there's no problem. I get the spa version fine from favourites. Also feed XBMC locally with the same favourites.xml above (backend and XBMC in the same PC). The XBMC GUI's been set in Spanish for everything. Also tried changing to Spanish ANSI codepage in Windows 7 x32 (have another issue with incorrectly encoded EPG's, with some cyrillic chars appearing instead of accented chars; thought perhaps ANSI in Windows needs to be set to cyrillic in that same machine. Anyway, didn't fix anything).

Hopeful for more suggestions.

1) Yes, got an insightful response that fixed the language issue.

The channel referenced in the favourites is only used to search in the full list. So the full list is what matters.

The trick's in DVBViewer:

- Enter Channel list Editor and drag the desired channel up to the root of the transponder tree.

- Save and restart RS.

- Channel's now in the desired/chosen language in favourites.xml.

2) For the second issue (wrong encoding) was told: "I'm just feeding the EPG from RS into XBMC."

Please advice.

The add-on developer has shown interest in the encoding issue.

FЪTBOL HD

Looks like the PC where the RS is running on is configured for a Russian character set. Here on a German PC configured for Windows Western I get FÚTBOL HD.

Names in the DVBViewer/RS channellist are not Unicode, which means, a local character set (with one byte per character) is used. So on a Russian PC you get FЪTBOL HD and on a western PC FÚTBOL HD. Of course the RS translates it to UTF-8 when it exports the channels, but in your case under the assumption that the original one-byte-character #218 must be interpreted as being part of the Russian character set. Follow the links above and check character #218 in the Wikipedia tables, then you will see what I mean.

The EPG problem is slightly different. The Digital+ EPG is not fully DVB compliant. It contains no character set information. According to the DVB specifications it should be ISO/IEC 6937 in this case, but it isn't. Digital+ uses some western character set similar to Windows Western. Since other broadcasters in France and England show the same bad habit, the RS again assumes a local character set if the EPG does not specify something else and translates it to UTF-8. The interpretation as ISO 6937 can be configured by using a tweak, but of no avail in your case.

Conclusion: For correct characters in Digital+ channel names and in the EPG the PC where the RS is running on must be configured for a western (non-unicode) character set. Please follow the steps given here. When I set the country for non-unicode programs to Russia I also get FЪTBOL HD in the getchannelsxml.html.

Thank you very much, for the involved and thoughtful post. Much appreciated!

Looks like the PC where the RS is running on is configured for a Russian character set.

Indeed. The locale charset was set to Cyrillic (Bulgarian).

...Of course the RS translates it to UTF-8 when it exports the channels...

(...) the RS again assumes a local character set if the EPG does not specify something else and translates it to UTF-8. The interpretation as ISO 6937 can be configured by using a tweak, but of no avail in your case.

Conclusion: For correct characters in Digital+ channel names and in the EPG the PC where the RS is running on must be configured for a western (non-unicode) character set.

I've tested, and after some extra cleaning and resetting it finally seems as you concluded. Unfortunately, such venue comes at a cost, as the non-Unicode charset is used by certain legacy applications (in my case, a very useful dictionary, among others). Perhaps, a cleaner solution would be to add another param to Tweaker.exe and set ANSI for DVBV only, and not depend on the OS anymore?

Edited by alx359