BBC One HD Recordings Compressed?

KuchKuch

I've noticed recently that the recordings I make on BBC One HD are around 1.17 MBPS in size where as people often get recordings of around 5.50 MBPS on DVBViewer as a .TS file. I'm just wondering if I have got something setup incorrectly and if there is something I can do to improve the quality of the recordings I capture. I also suspect that this affects recordings I have on other channels, but am not sure.

I've attached the settings I have at the moment under Options/Recorder and the BBC One HD channel information I have as well as information gathered by the support tool.

Thanks.

support.zip

post-147465-0-32625700-1420111292_thumb.jpg

post-147465-0-06580700-1420111874_thumb.jpg

Edited by KuchKuch

DVBViewer doesn't change the video/audio quality. It always records the data as broadcasted.

I've noticed recently that the recordings I make on BBC One HD are around 1.17 MBPS in size

MBPS is no size but a data rate unit (MegaBytes Per Second). The size of a recording mainly depends on the video data rate (that may vary depending on the broadcasted content), the recording duration and (with less influence) on the included audio / subtitle etc. streams.

Comparing the size without regarding these factors is useless.

DVBViewer doesn't change the video/audio quality. It always records the data as broadcasted.

MBPS is no size but a data rate unit (MegaBytes Per Second). The size of a recording mainly depends on the video data rate (that may vary depending on the broadcasted content), the recording duration and (with less influence) on the included audio / subtitle etc. streams.

Comparing the size without regarding these factors is useless.

Thanks Griga for getting back to me.

I can understand that and that's why I should have been more clear initially. The data I got, which compares the MBPS of a TS file are from recording the same show at the same time on BBC One HD, which lasts for 14 minutes. The duration of the two TS files differ by about 19 seconds, but I still would have expected a similar MBPS. One TS file lasts for 13:50 and is 4.62GB, while my recording of the same show lasts for 14:09 and is 991MB.

I always was a bit concerned by the size of my recordings, but thought I was worrying about nothing. I'm only raising this now as I have information which suggest that my recordings are smaller then they should be, that why I thought I may be going wrong somewhere.

As seen on your right screen shot, you haven't checked "remove video filler data". So perhaps one recording is blown up by unneeded filler data. To save space (without loosing quality or anything else) I would use this option.

Edited by HaraldL

..there has to be an error in your readings.

4,62GB for 13:50 min yields an average bitrate of 44Mbps. Maybe you've recorded the entire mux? ;)

Possibly, but I don't think so. I've attached the log of the 4.62 GB file, so you can have a look.

medialog.txt

Edited by KuchKuch