Can't add a new tuner

SimonP

Feeling a bit stupid here so hopefully you can help.

I currently have Recording Service 1.30.1.0 and DVBViewer 5.3.1.0 set up and working with a Hauppauge DVB-S2 card. All is well but I want to add an old (Hauppauge) DVB-T tuner stick to fill in some of the channels that the DVB-S2 feed is missing.

Currently the RS feeds DVBv with a pseudo-device called 'DVB-S2 RTSP Network Device'. The 'hardware' section of both software sees the DVB-T stick if I select 'Scan devices' but I can't see how to create another pseudo-device in RS so that DVBv can see the new tuner (other than by installing it directly in DVBv).

How do I set this up? I can't see a way! I wondered if the 'DVB-S2 RTSP Network Device' might contain the DVB-T tuner feed but I went into Channel Scan in DVBv, selected a new name and 'Terrestrial' but it doesn't see a tuner.

Drivers are installed correctly as both software can see the stick, also under 'Hardware' in RS it only shows the two devices - I can't find a reference to 'DVB-S2 RTSP Network Device' there at all, or any way to create a DVB-T version. I even tried stopping and starting the RS without success so I am stuck.

All of this also brought up another question - why is the RS separate from DVBv? It would make life so much easier if they were combined with just the remote access and web server features selectable, or even there by default and we just have to open the ports to enable them. Shouldn't RS be integrated into DVBv? The current setup is over-complicated and enough to put new users off.

support.zip

Edited by SimonP

Go in the Recording Service options > hardware and run Scan Devices (the Type of you DVB-S card is wrong)

And then install the current DVBViewer Pro an rerun the Recording Service Setup Wizard

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Recording_Service_Installation_Guide#Recording_Service_Setup_Wizard

(Thanks for the quick reply but I can't see how to split your quote so I'll have to answer both points)

1) When I run Scan Devices in RS I see my two hardware devices (S2 and T tuners). The S2 card shows its name - "Hauppauge WinTV 88x DVB-S/S2 etc.". When I run Scan Devices in DVBv I see 'DVB-S2 RTSP Network Device' plus the two tuners, which I then delete of course.

2) I was close to reinstalling it but it makes no sense that I'd have to do that to add a device, pressing Scan Devices, or Add, should do that and then create the pseudo-device.

Is there really no other way?

Edited by SimonP

(Forget the quoting :))

Tuner type is set to Satellite and the DVB-S2 box is ticked. RS is working perfectly with the S2 tuner with both DVBv and the Android app so I assume it's working as it should.

However, in DVBv should I be seeing the 'DVB-S2 RTSP Network Device'? I noticed that I also have 'Unicast Network Device' which was disabled. Enabling it seems to have allowed me to tune the T tuner so which should I be using, or both?

The problem with running the Setup Wizard (is there even a button to do it in RS? I don't see one so I assume it means a re-install) goes to what I was saying in the final paragraph of my OP - it has become over-complicated. I've been a computer engineer since 1978 so I know a bit about these things but looking at it from a novice's eyes, it should just work, not require running another program to install it. TBH I expect that too, especially from a program that's been around as long as DVBv.

(Sorry to rant, I'm finding this rather frustrating!)

Edited by SimonP

Initially it was blank, although everything was working just fine so I don't really understand that. I logged into RS and, sure enough, I now have two pseudo devices in DVBv and am able to scan the DVB-T channels.

I hope you can see my confusion, RS is handling the tuners so I had no need to go into DVBv other than to scan the channels and add them to my favourites, especially not the Help section. It is useful to have a link to (or the actual) RS Setup Wizard, but it's not the logical place to have it, all tuner config should be in the RS. This is a good example of why I think the two should be combined, there is too much "grey area" and cross-over between the two programs. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, thanks for your help, I have also upgraded DVBv and seem to be able to add the terrestrial channels now.

One other quick question if I may: In Channel Scan (DVBv) we can create new channel lists. How can we delete them? There doesn't seem to be an option for that.

Edited by SimonP

I hope you can see my confusion

you weren't reading my answer and thought to much ;)

DVBViewer and Recording Service are different programs. The RS controls the hardware and acts as Straming Server.

And the DVBViewer works as stramin client. Regardless the DVBViewer is installed on the seam PC or a different PC some where in the network. And so you have to configure the DVBViewer as stramin client.

About deleting things from the channel list. TV/Radio > Channel Editor select the entry > Delete

I probably was over-thinking it and maybe it makes sense with a new installation but I have been using DVBv and RS for many years and thought I understood it but clearly I don't! :)

I get that they're different programs, so why is the RS Setup Wizard in DVBv? It should be in RS. As you say, they are server and client and should be separate. Most of the time I use the RS for recordings set up and played back on my 'phone and tablets, I effectively only need DVBv to set up the channels. RS really ought to be able to do that so that it works stand-alone, as a server should, not be dependent on its client.

Ah, OK, the Delete button is on the right hand side but I didn't see it as I had Edit Favourites open. It should be either a right-click or down at the bottom with the other buttons.

I hope I'm not offending you personally, that's certainly not my intention, but the DVBv system is starting to look a mess. It's powerful and once it's working it's really nice but for those of us who only configure it occasionally, and especially new users I would imagine, it has become very confusing indeed and needs a re-vamp.

(I don't mean to only sound critical, if you or the devs would like me to go through it and offer some constructive comments about things that I think should be changed, I'd be happy to do so.)

Edited by SimonP

The Recording Service Wizard configure the DVBViewer Pro as straming client for the RS. It don't change anything at the RS configuration. It only change the DVBViewer configuration. So the place in the DVBViewer Pro is the right place.

As I said, I disagree as, in a RS configuration, the RS is looking after the tuners, not DVBv. It would have taken me a long time to find the RS Setup Wizard and work out that I'd need to run it just to add a tuner.

But hey, it's working now so thank you for your help, it's very much appreciated and hopefully this thread will help someone else in future.

Edited by SimonP

RS can use the tuner without any changes in the DVBViewer (Recording Service Wizard only changes the DVBViewer nothing in the RS) e.g. if you use a other Sat>IP client which maintain its on channel list. What nearly all Sat>IP clients do.

You need a additional RTSP device only in the DVBViewer, to use the new tuner type with the DVBViewer e.g. make a channel scan.

If you are replacing the existing channel.dat (e.g. via DVBViewer Downloader DVB-S only) you can use the RS completely without any changes n the DVBViewer.

We're obviously thinking about this very differently then as initially RS was not serving DVBv with the new T tuner, it was only available to DVBv after I ran the RS Setup Wizard. To my mind the RS should be completely and uniquely in control of the tuners in a DVBv/RS configuration, it is illogical to have to go into DVBv to add a tuner to RS.

But I really don't want to argue about it, I appreciate your help and have learned a few things along the way so I'm happy to close the book on this. Maybe the devs will see this thread and give it some thought.