DVBViewer 5.6 just dies

Vovven

Hi,

After installing DVBViewer 5.6 it starts initializing but never completes, it just closes the DVBViewer window.

After reinstalling 5.5.2 I'm back in business again.

Any idea of what's going on here?

regards,

vovven

support.zip

From your DVBViewer.log:

07.03.16 17:46:40.117 TWSocketThread FWSocketSessionConnected Error 10061

This error is logged if DVBViewer as Unicast Client can't connect to the Recording Service as server, e.g. because it is not running. In this case launching DVBViewer may take very long. However, it should complete after some time, without closing the window again. Dunno why it happens with your installation. I can't reproduce it.

Please try to run DVBViewer in debug mode (see start menu -> DVBViewer). Same issue? Please attach the resulting DVBViewer.log (from the configuration folder), or attach another support.zip.

P.S. Just a guess:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/57879-DVBViewer-560/?p=443314

• Change: Plug-ins: The DVBViewer setup does not allow plug-ins anymore to write to the Plugins Directory. Plug-ins should read the configuration directory path from the file UserMode.ini in order to save their data. Please note: If you are still using old / out-dated plug-ins it may be necessary to adjust the access rights for the Plugins Directory manually after the DVBViewer 5.6 installation.

I have now made a clean install, i.e uninstalling/deleting all historical stuff.

Recording Service is not installed yet.

No Plugins/extras installed.

DVBViewer does work as media player, playing recorded tv-shows.

Scanning of channels after installation works but aren't saved?

After scanning and in DVBViewer trying to select a channel from the channels list, it's empty.

Reverted back to 5.2.2 to get channels list in order again.

Upgrading again to 5.6.

DVBViewer starts OK but when selecting a channel from the channels list DVBViewer window just disappears, no error message, nothing.

There's no difference if I start in debug mode.

Attached support file is after starting in debug mode.

I have a HTPC with Windows10 where the upgrade to 5.6 was problemfree.

So it seems to be a configuration dependant problem pointing in the direction of all the new code for handling channels?

regards,

support.zip

Scanning of channels after installation works but aren't saved?

The scanner indicated that channels were found?

After scanning and in DVBViewer trying to select a channel from the channels list, it's empty.

After scanning successfully a previously empty channel list should contain a root folder. Expanding it lets the channels show up. But in your case the channel list remained completely empty?

Strange... I tried to reproduce it by removing my channel list and create a new one from scratch by scanning, but encountered no problem whatsoever.

Maybe a DVBViewer.log containing the events while scanning in debug mode would tell more... dunno.

DVBViewer starts OK but when selecting a channel from the channels list DVBViewer window just disappears, no error message, nothing.

I can see it in the DVBViewer.log now (due to debug mode). Tuning seems to work, but when it comes to initializing playback the process is aborted at a certain point. At the same point in both runs that have been logged.

Unfortunately the log does not tell why it happens, so the only possibility to narrow the cause of the trouble down is to try this and that.

Since the last log entry is "EVR VideoProcessorMode" in both runs and the subsequent logging of used playback components is missing it might crash in between. So I would first try to disable Video Processor Usage by launching Tweaker.exe from the DVBViewer installation directory, switch "Use EVR Video Processor" off -> Save.

The scanner indicated that channels were found? Yes

After scanning successfully a previously empty channel list should contain a root folder. Expanding it lets the channels show up. But in your case the channel list remained completely empty?

Yes

Strange... I tried to reproduce it by removing my channel list and create a new one from scratch by scanning, but encountered no problem whatsoever.

Maybe a DVBViewer.log containing the events while scanning in debug mode would tell more... dunno.

I can see it in the DVBViewer.log now (due to debug mode). Tuning seems to work, but when it comes to initializing playback the process is aborted at a certain point. At the same point in both runs that have been logged.

Unfortunately the log does not tell why it happens, so the only possibility to narrow the cause of the trouble down is to try this and that.

Since the last log entry is "EVR VideoProcessorMode" in both runs and the subsequent logging of used playback components is missing it might crash in between. So I would first try to disable Video Processor Usage by launching Tweaker.exe from the DVBViewer installation directory, switch "Use EVR Video Processor" off -> Save.

Disabling the EVR video processor does the trick, channels can now be viewed and DVBViewer doesn't crash.

But why?

Who knows... maybe some quirk in the graphics card driver / video renderer.

Ok, one problem solved, that's fine, but the scanning problem remains, doesn't it?

Well if it's a problem with the graphics driver why does 5.5.2 work, it uses the same driver?

What effect does it have to run DVBViewer with the EVR Video processor off?

I restested the scanning functionality and it works. The original problem was probably me not finding my way around in the new user interface, most likely I didn't save the channels scanned. Sorry about that.

Well if it's a problem with the graphics driver why does 5.5.2 work, it uses the same driver?

:iiam:

What effect does it have to run DVBViewer with the EVR Video processor off?

Maybe a slight difference in picture quality - nothing really important. I could see no difference here.

I restested the scanning functionality and it works. The original problem was probably me not finding my way around in the new user interface, most likely I didn't save the channels scanned.

Not your fault. Scan results should appear in the channel list anyway. DVBViewer should save any changes in the channel list automatically when it is closed.