Skystar2 technisat card almost BBQed

mka

Upon receiving the Skystar2 card, I installed it into my PC without any problems, along with installation of the software and drivers. I connected the card to a satellite cable running from a Thomson quad LNB.

However, after a channel scan for onr of the Astra satellites and a double click to switch to a scanned channel, one of the components on the satellite card let off a spark and caught fire.

Now I'm left with a defective card.

Does anybody have any idea as to what could have caused this? Was this a defective card to start off with or a software-related problem? Is this problem commonly associated with Skystar 2 cards? Is this card really all that great?

Comp spec is as follows:

Asus A78NX deluxe

1.8 GHz Barton XP2500

512MB Winbond RAM

ATI 9200 Radeon card

Creative Audigy 2 card

LiteOn DVD ROm drive/Plextor CD Rewriter

Regards

MKA

Edited by mka

At least you are the first person to report something like this. It is very unlikely the damage has been caused by the software. Which revision of the card do we speak of?

Bye, Oliver

It's a brand new card. Rev 2.6C.

I purchased the retail version of it which included the remote and software along with guarantee slip.

I've attached pic. The blown component is near the top right corner just below the letters "tral tendency" (the background is my bro's uni assignement)

I'm just a little worried that sparks went off in my PC. Fortunately, my PC is still functioning and no other component is damaged.

Has anybody else experienced this problem and anybody know what could have caused it?

MKA

post-12-1103282247_thumb.jpg

Edited by mka