Problems with DVBViewer & LAV splitter

blasgl

I use the DVBViewer to watch mkv files ripped from my DVDs/Blurays and am having some problems with the following combination of DirectShow filters.
LAV Splitter
xy-VSFilter

1. Audio track and subtitle preferences maintained in the LAV Splitter settings are not respected.

2. When a lot of subtitle tracks are present, some of them are not visible in the DVBViewer subtitle selection screen. They are only visible in the LAV Splitter or VSFilter menus.

3. If one of the "invisible" subtitle tracks is active as default it cannot be turned off or changed using the DVBViewer subtitle selection. This only works in the LAV Splitter or VSFilter menus.

4. mkv Chapters are not visible in the DVBViewer playback options. DVBViewer only jumps in fixed time intervals. Chapter navigation only works in the LAV Splitter menu.

These features work seamlessly in other media players like MPC so my (uninformed) take is that the DVBViewer is not able to interpret all information provided by the LAV Splitter. Can someone confirm these phenomenons in their setup?

Is someone from the DVBViewer team willing to have a look at these issues? I´d be glad to play the guinea pig in case something has to be tested.

21 minutes ago, blasgl said:

2. When a lot of subtitle tracks are present, some of them are not visible in the DVBViewer subtitle selection screen. They are only visible in the LAV Splitter or VSFilter menus.

What is the maximum? DVBViewer supports up to 16 audio tracks and subtitle tracks each, as far as I can see. If more are reqired it can probably be changed in the upcoming bugfix release. The other issues may take more time.

The maximum number of subtitle tracks is definetely below 16. (I´d say it´s more like 8-10) I can tell you the exact number when I´m home this evening.

1 hour ago, blasgl said:

4. mkv Chapters are not visible in the DVBViewer playback options. DVBViewer only jumps in fixed time intervals. Chapter navigation only works in the LAV Splitter menu.

I just made it work in DVBViewer GE, at least with this sample :) It was already implemented, but for some reason restricted to Haali Splitter usage (can't remember why). If DVBViewer GE detects chapters in a MKV file, the |< and >| buttons in the control bar (or the corresponding actions) can be used to jump to the previous / next chapter, and the current chapter number is displayed (same as for DVD playback).

Maybe this kind of handling can be transferred to DVBViewer Pro.

40 minutes ago, blasgl said:

The maximum number of subtitle tracks is definetely below 16. (I´d say it´s more like 8-10) 

I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I have a MKV sample with 16 subtitle tracks. They are all shown in the DVBViewer Pro Settings -> Subtitle Menu  (and in the LAV splitter menu, of course). What do you mean by "subtitle selection screen"? How can I get there?

Integrating the MKV chapter support in DVBViewer Pro is no big deal. I've just tried and it works within the limits of the chapter support that already exists for DVD playback. That means, Previous/Next Chapter functions are available in the control bar and the OSD. The current chapter number is displayed in the control bar, but it seems to be missing in the OSD (in the time bar that appears after pressing the return key). That's something Christian has to look after.

4 hours ago, Griga said:

Even there all 16 subtitle tracks of my sample are enumerated. I would need a sample that enables to reproduce the issue.

I apologize Griga, all movies I´m testing now show a maximum of 16 subtitle tracks, as per your test. My memory must have been playing games.

Only the numbering is weird, it goes like

blank

blank

Capture.PNG

11 hours ago, blasgl said:

1. Audio track and subtitle preferences maintained in the LAV Splitter settings are not respected.

So what's wrong here?

After entering "fre" in the Subtitles line on the LAV Splitter property page DVBViewer displays French subtitles in two MKV samples. Entering "ger" in the Audio line works as well.

Seems that I still have to do some homework. Subtitle preferences are working now but the audio track preferences are not.

I´ll do a further round of tests and will try to cut a small mkv sample that I can upload somewhere.

Thanks Griga for the 1st class support (as always)

Yesterday I managed to bring some clarity on what´s going on. In my server PC everything works as expected and as tested by Griga. Basically only the small niggles remain:

1. "Only" 16 subtitle tracks are shown.

2. Numbering of the subtitle list is wrong, as per screenshot above.

3. No chapters available.

In my HTPC the audio track preferences of the LAV splitter are not respected: this has to be a set-up issue and I just have to find out which settings or combination of settings is causing it. I tried a number of things related to language settings in Windows and the DVBViewer, without luck.

21 hours ago, blasgl said:

In my HTPC the audio track preferences of the LAV splitter are not respected: this has to be a set-up issue and I just have to find out which settings or combination of settings is causing it.

Options -> General -> Prefer AC3 for file playback overrides the LAV settings if DVBViewer can find an AC3 or DTS audio track (including advanced stuff like Dolby Plus and DTS HD). It uses the first audio track from the top that belongs to this category.

I think DVBViewer should not perform this search if such a track is already pre-selected by the LAV splitter.

Confirmed, I have removed the AC3 flag for file playback and now the audio track preferences for the LAV splitter are respected.

It will be fixed in the next release, which means, the DVBViewer setting will only override the LAV setting if the audio format of the pre-selected track does not belong to the AC3/DTS category.