Corrupt .ts files after recording

newm

Hi,

For the past few weeks I've been having severe problems with recording channels. Once a recording completes, the output .ts file is very glitchy and is read as corrupt by some players. Kodi's PVR system refuses to read the file and when playing the file in an external player or DVBViewer itself, it reports on some files a total time of 22 hours, when the actual show is roughly an hour or two long. Looking in the logs, a lot of "Discontinuities" are being reported - on some recordings between 10 and 15. I've attached my support.zip to this thread so hopefully this can be looked into.

Thanks.

support.zip

I had this problem a few years ago, but I was never sure if it is a problem with the recording service, the capture card, the LNB or cabling. Eventually the card died (a BlackGold) and the problem disappeared.

However, it has started again in the last few weeks. I have been updating the Recording Service all the time, so I'm currently on 2.0.3. When it happened a few times, I swapped the priority of my cards so that my Dual DVBSky S952 card (the same as yours) was not the primary choice, and made the TeVii Dual S482 card the first choice card. The problem has not disappeared, but the level of failure seems to have dropped.

Since I have not been really analysing the problem, I can't be definitive but my feeling at the moment is that it is the card or cabling that may be the issue. I will keep a closer eye on the logs to see if I can trace the problem to a particular device.

If you enable the recording service log, keep an eye and see if it is happening on just one device rather than both. You could also swap the priority of the individual devices and see if that helps. This could let you know if there is a dodgy cable or one side of the card.

I doubt that it would be the service, since it just opens a data stream from the card and writes it to a file. In my opinion, It is unlikely that the recording service is corrupting the data on the way through.

Edited by Cian

Hello,

10 or 15 (?) discontinuties are not a lot. Especially on DVB-T/T2 I have often more than that. In the most cases you can't  see an error (one or two at a time) when you're watching the recording.

My DVB-T2 USB-Stick produces sometimes recordings with more than 100.000 errors (more than 100 per log-entry). Disconnecting and reconnecting the stick solves in the most cases the problem.

Sometimes you can find on the CD that came with the Hardware a tool to reset the hardware (esp. TechniSat).

Many greetings

Webturtle

Edited by Webturtle
  • 2 weeks later...

After extensive testing (including trying a different TV card) on both latest and a version behind (6.0.0) for a few days I managed to confirm it isn't a problem with my card. Live TV can operate for hours at a time with barely any glitches yet recording an hour-long program results in a corrupt recording.

I also managed to confirm what part of the recording is corrupt: the headers. The entire video content is there and readable in a video player but displays a 17 hour total. Some clients like Kodi refuse to read the file from the recordings section because of the corrupt header.

Hmmm. I do have the occasional 'silly length' recording, and I have started to use the email option to keep track of the recordings. I'll see if a trend develops. I have disabled some of my receivers to see if that is the issue.

If there is some type of recording clocking problem, it would not be seen when in Live TV mode. (I know there are settings to adjust PAT and PMT but I have no idea what they do!)

I have a few thoughts - maybe one of these might spark an idea.

1. It could be a bandwidth issue. If you are recording from multiple channels from one transponder, you will only use one device, so can the device transfer all of the data. Maybe it happens when there are simultaneous recordings from multiple devices.

2. Is it an Issue with a lower priority receiver? In my system, the 1st card in the list does 90% of the work and subsequent devices are required when only when recordings need to use multiple transponders.

Just a few thoughts. Hope they help.

C.

After further investigation I have discovered that the errors are occurring on the IPTV channels I have added. I was able to record an hour and a half program fine but subsequently recording a four hour program causes the file to corrupt and only show a minute of total time, despite the program being fully watchable and the recording being 6GB long, but without being able to seek properly. The recording logs indicate 450 errors during recording on IPTV.

Seems you are encountering timestamp discontinuities, which means, the broadcasted and recorded clock signal (PCR, Program Clock Reference) is jumping forward or backward. Not unusual for IPTV ;) It may even be intended in order to hinder recording.

You may want to try TSPlayer from the download area -> tools section. Read more about it in the manual. The TSPlayer is able to re-record TS files and correct time stamps (see here). Please ask here if you need more hints.