EPG txt files for past/completed recordings being modified by new recordings

enajh2

Hi from the UK!! :bye:
Here's a weird one!:rotfl::wacko:

Maybe my first bug in many happy years of using DVBViewer.

v6.03 on Windows 7 (Standalone client, with no recording service running or configured)

Two separate sets of scheduled and repeating recordings for the One Show on BBC One. M\T\T\F 30 mins, and separate timers for Wed to capture the 60 mins long broadcast.

DVBViewer overwrites the old epg txt files and populates them with the new status and info from more recent recordings.

image.thumb.png.aaeed4d2b89fe968db31e60b5aea035f.png

Regards,

Alan

Loughborough, UK

10 hours ago, enajh2 said:

DVBViewer overwrites the old epg txt files and populates them with the new status and info from more recent recordings.

Recording A creates an EPG txt file and recording B overwrites the content. That's clear so far. But what is recording A and B? I've studied your diagrams (they somehow remind me of this) but can't figure it out. Please provide step-by-step instructions for reproducing the issue, if possible.

Morning,

I have Aspergers so bear with me!:)...I may have jumped a few steps in my head.

Action to reproduce
Create a timer to record a single channel - repeating on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at the same time.

New recordings overwite the previous EPG txt files.

The timer for the Wednesday broadcast seems to be unaffected (but what's to say it won't modify it next week...I'll have to check)

The four day repeating timers (x 3 covering Freeview, and Freesat) did the same thing last night and overwrote the EPG txt file for the Thursday evening captures.......(see pic below)

N.B. I have also noted on occasions EPG txt files being recreated for completed recordings in output directories for files that I've already moved/processed and deleted!

This is the other problem I mentioned...(see pic below)

The 22 captures were reviewed and I kept what I wanted, and deleted what I didn't. The files I kept were moved elsewhere INCLUDING the EPG txt files.

Sometime afterwards, all or some of the EPG txt files have re-appeared but are missing the Stats section at the bottom!

35i7ngg.jpg

Edited by enajh2

Found another example of the EPG txt files being overwritten, with 2 of the 4 recent episodes of Autumnwatch on BBC Two.

N.B. I've deleted the timers now as the broadcasts only ran for one week

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday 20.00-21.00

Tuesday's captures didn't modify the Monday txt files.

Wednesday's overwrote Tuesday's, and Thursday's overwrote Wednesday's.

N.B. Wednesday captures started late by 4 mins @ 19.59 because my DVB-S2 hardware was busy recording The One Show from BBC One Scot HD (diff freq)

287ixea.jpg

This issue took effect for me since 25/08/17 5pm when I upgraded from DVBViewer v5.6.4 to v6.02.

Hope this helps in narrowing down the faulty code.

Most of my repeating TV and radio captures made since 25/08/17 on two separate computers, currently running v6.02 and v6.03, have this problem

i.e. EPG txt files not matching the date and content of the recorded broadcasts to which the txt files are named. I might have all the info, they are just out of sync!>_<:)

Is the Media Server or Recording Service involved or is it a DVBViewer-only installation?

This screenshot shows the issue quite clearly. It looks like the following has happened:

1. The One Show was recorded from BBC One E Mid on Wednesday November 1st (one hour version, separate timer). The corresponding txt file was created when the recording was stopped.
  2. The One Show was recorded again from BBC One E Mid on Thursday November 2nd (30 minutes version). However, the corresponding txt file was created on Friday November 3rd when the next One Show recording started (!). Obviously the first created txt file has been overwritten by another file with the same name, but different content. With other words: The content was updated at this point, but not the execution date/time that became part of the filename (together with the unchanged title and channel name).
  3. The One Show was recorded again from BBC One E Mid on Friday November 3rd (30 minutes version). The corresponding txt file was created when the recording was stopped.

Usually DVBViewer writes the txt file when the recording starts, provided the EPG data is already available. If not the EPG data is written when the recording stops. And the statistics are appended in any case. After that (in case of repeating recordings) the execution date is immediately shifted to the next recording day. That's what I see in the DVBViewer 6.0.4 code, and there is no evidence that 2. can happen. However, since the recorder code has been restructured and cleaned up between 6.0.3 and 6.0.4, chances are that the issue has been fixed unknowingly.

So I'd suggest to update to DVBViewer 6.0.4 and see if it still happens. I will also keep an eye on it. It is particularly of interest If the recording date gets immediately updated to the next date after the recording is finished (can be checked by closing DVBViewer and opening the file timers.xml in the configuration folder with a text editor).

Edited by Griga

Thanks!
It (your response) makes sense to me Griga but I need to digest your message and follow your logic/observations through for myself (and when I haven't been staring at a CAD screen all day!)

Would the recordings database have any part to play in the EPG txt file filename allocated for a new (repeated) recording?

That was the only other thing that crossed my mind.

DVBViewer recording service 5.5 :blush: is installed but not running (disabled), nor is it configured (linked) in DVBViewer

I have a spare (3rd) computer so I can have a play with the latest version installed on that over the weekend, either with the config info copied from this PC or with a fresh one, and see if I can re-create the problem. For now I have reverted back to v5.6.4.

I reviewed a mass of BBC radio captures yesterday and noted that the issue appears to be spasmodic/periodic, and affected a significant majority of my repeating 6Music, and BBC Radio 2 and Radio 1 captures but doesn't appear to follow any particular pattern. Or at least not one that is obvious to me. 

Tjod,

My recording filename pattern is as follows....

N.B. Channel frequencies (10773, 10847 etc) added in some channel names to help with recording multiple channels and broadcasts during the UK music festivals season (Glastonbury, T in the Park etc)

2hcqqno.jpg

I've recorded the One Show from BBC London on Monday and Tuesday with DVBViewer 6.0.4 and a repeating timer. It worked as intended and did not overwrite the txt file that was created on Monday.

• Thanks 1