No signals until reboot

johnyboy88888

My system now seems to be running fine, give or take a few minor hiccups which will be sorted when I get my new setup on Monday. In order for me to get the polar motor I've had to get a completely new dish and setup, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Meanwhile things have been OK. However, occasionally both DVBViewer and Tranedit decide they want to quit and not pick up signals at all. This just happened and although there were strong signals using Dreambox, DVBViewer and Transedit failed to show anything. I then rebooted the computer and up they all popped.

Any ideas ? I'm running XP Pro SP1, 1 GB RAM and have a 2.8 P4 processor.

Ah, no.........forgot that :wacko: I'll give it try though if it happens again. What causes it to do that d'you think ?

Thanks though Griga.....again

Well, I really dont understand what is going on with this SkyStar card. This morning it was all OK and then the signal broke up and finally went. This has happened before but a reboot usually cures the problem. This time though it didn't. I disabled and enabled the card, downloaded the new drivers (4.3) from the Technisat site but still it doesnt respond.

My Dreambox is showing a strong signal but when I take the LNB cable out of the Dreambox and plug it in to the Skystar card, no signal is found. It did briefly come to life for about 5 mins then the signal disappeared. Now, to remind you, I have a motor system being controlled by the Dreambox and I wonder if somehow the motorised system isnt that compatible with the Skystar card. I am changing this system on Monday anyway to another dish and dual motor which will also control the polar angle. I'm also going to be getting a dual output LNB so I dont have to move the cable from one to another.

At the moment it appears terminal because no matter how many tries restarting the PC the signal doesnt appear. Do I need to get another card ? Has the card blown itself in some way ? How could I tell ?

Any help would be appreciated. I must say however that somewhere along the line I've either done something drastically wrong or the system isnt as stable as it should be. I've had a computer for many years, put cards in and out, had hundreds of softwares yet I've never ever encountered anythign as unstable and querky as this Skystar card.

Perhaps I should look for an alternative way to get to see my 422 signals because this just is very unstable. However, I'm happy to perservere if the experts think it is just some incompatibility which can be cured easily.

Thanks

Edited by johnyboy88888

For some reason the signal has just reappeared. I did absolutely nothing other than take the LNB cable out and put it into the Dreambox, see where there was a good signal (as I'd done many times before) and then replace the LNB cable into the Skystar card.

I checked each time to make sure the cable fitted correctly. Odd, very odd and I'd like to get to the bottom of it if one of you experts have any ideas.

I wonder if some spurious voltages flying up and down the LNB cable could have anything to do with it (w00t)