Media Server - clicking 'Update recording database' task removed all recordings

uglyned

Hi,

I clicked the 'update recording database' task expecting it to maintain the current recordings list and add any that still existed as files on the hard disk.

But now the recordings page says I have no recordings and has listed all my previous recordings under a 'Removed' heading.

This isn't what I expected - how do I restore all my recordings?

Ah I see what's happened.

I run DVBViewer over the LAN with the client on different PC to the server.

So I use UNC paths for recording locations - \\server\recordings etc.

In order for the service to be able to access the share where the recordings are stored, I always ran the Recording Service under a different service account - one that had explicit permissions to access that share.

But in the process of upgrading from Recording Service to Media Server the old Recording Service Windows service was removed and replaced with a Media Server one.

The new Media Server one was not running with the service account the old one was, so did not have access to the recordings share.

I've updated the service account on the Windows service and they've all come back.

15 minutes ago, uglyned said:

But now the recordings page says I have no recordings and has listed all my previous recordings under a 'Removed' heading. 

This is also a known problem in DMS 2.1 if no EPG information files and no NTFS file properties are associated with the recordings. It will be fixed soon in a bugfix release.

3 minutes ago, uglyned said:

The new Media Server one was not running with the service account the old one was, so did not have access to the recordings share.

Further Media Server updates will keep the setting.

• Thanks 1