EPG problem - sometimes there's no EPG information

Alan_SP

Well, I'm not sure what exactly is a problem, but sometimes (more often then not), there's no EPG information. I'm viewing it with Media Server, as it is the easiest way to program DVBViewer to record.

I'm in Croatia and there might be some EPG compatibility going on, but my TV (old Panasonic plasma set) sees EPG, but not DVBViewer.

Is there a way how I can let you see what's going on with EPG data and why sometimes I don't see all EPG information? It looks like there's some shows, but many aren't recognized (with TV, there's all EPG info).

I try manually start EPG task, but it doesn't give results. Also, I prolonged time to 60 seconds, then even more (160s), it didn't helped.

EDIT: I attached image how it looks like, sometimes there's more shows, sometimes it looks like this, very "deserted". As I said, TV set has it all populated, so I guess there's EPG data, but for some reason DVBViewer doesn't see it, or something.

Oh yes, I'm using Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD USB tuner if it matters.

EPG.gif

Edited by Alan_SP
Added image

I noticed something probably very important. Even if I didn't had EPG information in Timeline, it was recorded alongside ts file in txt info.

It looks like for some reason Media Server has partial access to EPG information. I try to test this further and provide evidence for this.

I tried to record few test programs when there was no EPG information in timeline, but they didn't recorded any. It looks like that DVBViewer and Media Server don't see EPG in these times.

But, what still bothers me is that my TV does have fully populated EPG information.

It looks like some incompatibility with EPG information and DVBViewer, but at which level I'm not sure. Still, other devices (my Panasonic Plasma TV) see EPG information without problem and completely. Strange.

Thanks, I think that there's something wrong with EPG how it is broadcast in my country. I attached support file, but also think that I may need to send something else, e.g. something that contains EPG data within DVB-T streams on my TV broadcasts.

It bothers me that my TV sees EPG just fine, but DVBViewer don't.

support.zip

Hello Alan_SP!

Looking through your support.zip it seems you have configurated DVBViewer Pro and DMS wrongly. DMS should own the tuners alone and when DVBViewer uses them too you get conflicts. Installation help here. You could also launch the Wizard, start the DVBViewer in the main menu > Help > Media Service Wizard or In DVBViewer Pro->Settings->Options->Hardware there should only be RTSP or IPTV network devices. Select your tuners one by one and delete them from here. I assume you only have a working DVB-T subscription and no DVB-C, yes?

If so set your remaining RTSP network devices as DVB-T2 and terrestial. In DMS->Configuration->Hardware-> only the DVB-T tuners should show up. If DVB-C tuners shows up there set them to "Do Not Use". You may have to delete your current channellist and do a new channel scan (start from scratch) just to be safe.

• Like 1

Installation was done that I first installed DVBViewer, since I didn't at first received password for Media Server, only next day arrived password. And then I installed Media Server and installation set tuners this way.

Now hardware tuners are deleted (from DVBViewer), leaving only RTSP ones, and I disabled DVB-C variants in all instances (DVBViewer and Media Server). I didn't deleted them and I see them in Media Server, but I disabled them, not deleted them in case I might need them later (not sure if I could get them back again easily).

Usually I don't use DVBViewer, I use only Media Server through web interface (here I also start EPG update, as EPG info is iffy for me). Recorded material I view with Kodi or VLC.

I just made EPG scan after these changes and at the moment I see complete EPG information. This can be just coincidence (sometimes before I also got full EPG info), but I hope you spotted problem and solved it. Anyway, I'll continue to check and report how it goes from now.

Thanks, didn't know that it can cause problems that I first installed DVBViewer and only after that Media Server. Hope it is solved.

EDIT: Remembered to add new support file, if you can check if I did good job with tuners, just in case...

support.zip

Edited by Alan_SP
On 5/25/2018 at 9:31 PM, Alan_SP said:

sometimes (more often then not), there's no EPG information.

Issues like this can be caused by broadcasters that frequently (daily) change the EPG Event IDs assigned to programmes, or even worse, assign the same Event ID to different programmes over time. This causes problems if already present EPG data interferes with newly received data.

The Event IDs (as defined by the DVB specifications) are numbers that are supposed to serve as programme identification label and to remain the same over time so that programmes can be recognized even if the title or the scheduled time change. Since DVBViewer saves EPG data permanently in a database, it must rely on the Event ID mechanism. If it is not handled properly by the broadcaster, the whole EPG handling may get disturbed heavily.

On 5/30/2018 at 12:17 AM, Alan_SP said:

It bothers me that my TV sees EPG just fine, but DVBViewer don't.

TV sets usually don't store EPG data permanently, but only display what they have just received, so they don't have to handle EPG database updates.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:31 PM, Alan_SP said:

I try manually start EPG task, but it doesn't give results. Also, I prolonged time to 60 seconds, then even more (160s), it didn't helped.

I would try the "Clear the EPG list before an EPG update" tweak, that automatically deletes old EPG data before an update starts:

1. Stop the DMS
  2. Launch DMSTweaker.bat (see installation directory where DVBViewer.exe is).
  3. Find the corresponding checkbox, tick it and save.
  4. Start the DMS and perform an EPG update in the Web Interface. After that all EPG data should be present.

The tweak can help to avoid most of the issues caused by the broadcaster behaviour, but not all, because the DMS also updates EPG data when it receives a channel. A daily automatic EPG update (including deletion of the previous data) is recommendable.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Griga said:

The tweak can help to avoid most of the issues caused by the broadcaster behaviour, but not all, because the DMS also updates EPG data when it receives a channel. A daily automatic EPG update (including deletion of the previous data) is recommendable.

Thanks, I think you explained exactly what's going on here in Croatia and why I can't see complete EPG information, but just partial and sometimes very sparse.

I now set suggested tweak and again I have full EPG information (yesterday I had it, but today again I was back to sparse EPG till I saw your explanation and set tweak as suggested).

What's your suggestion about automatic EPG update? At the moment it is default 12 hours and I saw I can set it to some other number of hours. Do you suggest maybe more frequent or more sparse updates (6, 8 or maybe 24 hours)? It is not a problem for me as my computer is up 24 hours, so I can have any schedule.

Also, I think this solved my problems with EPG, but I'll report in case there would be something new. Thanks again, now it is much clearer what's going on with EPG data here and why.

As expected, today I have full EPG information, without problems.

I guess this thread can be used as solution for people with similar problems (in Croatia, or other countries with similar EPG problems). Just in case someone also uses DVBViewer there.