m3u8 files dont work

JsHansen

Hi.

Just bought and installed the DVBViewer Media Server, but have some problemes watching TV from remote location..

On the machine the tuner is in, the channels plays just fine in DVBViewer, but when i try to watch them from a remote pc, through the webinterface (port 8089) the m3u8 files wont play..

If i right click and edit them, it looks like som info is missing, like ip and stuff..

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1290,BANDWIDTH=1760000,CODECS="avc1.77.40,mp4a.40.2"
stream.m3u8?preset=1&streamid={CB1D940A-0CE3-4ADA-8EA8-F0F7DA7B0673}

Anyone know how to fix it ? It was the only reason i bought it..

1 hour ago, JsHansen said:

but when i try to watch them from a remote pc, through the webinterface (port 8089) the m3u8 files wont play..

On the remote PC you want to watch channels (live streams) that are transcoded by the DMS to the HLS format, right?

1 hour ago, JsHansen said:

If i right click and edit them, it looks like som info is missing, like ip and stuff.

The DMS uses relative URLs for media playlists within the master M3U8 playlist (relative to the URL of the master playlist). IP address and port are inherited automatically from the URL of the master playlist (if the client handles it correctly).

Thus you can't download a HLS M3U8 file and then pass it to a media player. HLS is not designed for working this way. The (streaming ) client always needs the M3U8 URL!

Please describe in more detail what you do on the remote PC. Which client do you use?

When i login to the webinterface on the remote pc, go to Timeline where all the channels are listen, click a channel, it just downloads a (.m3u8) file called master.

It wont play in VLC or anything else.

Used the old unsupported DMS before, and it worked just fine.

The old version used to ask for HTTP stream and stuff like that.

Edited by JsHansen
1 minute ago, JsHansen said:

When i login to the webinterface on the remote pc, go to Timeline where all the channels are listen, click a channel, it just downloads a (.m3u8) file called master.

Please answer my questions if you want to communicate with me!!! In which client?

Streaming client! With other words: Which browser do you use?

Assuming Firefox or Chrome: There is a change in the latest DMS release allowing to playback the HLS streaming format in these browsers if the "Native HLS Add-On" is installed, which wasn't possible in earlier versions.  There are two options:

1. Install this add-on.
  2. Switch to the WebM streaming format that can be handled by these browsers without an add-on. You can do this in the following way: Don't use the timeline page, but the media page. Navigate to a channel and click the gear wheel "Stream Setup" icon on the left. In the Stream Setup select WebM as Output format and click "Play in browser". The DMS will remember it and use WebM henceforth, as long as you don't change it.
On 6/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, JsHansen said:

The old version used to ask for HTTP stream and stuff like that.

I guess you have used WebM before, but the new DMS version reinterpreted this setting as HLS.