compress mpeg2

tskoda

i want to burn a movie onto cd.

and i want movie size to be 700 MB

is there a software which will enable me to compress mpeg2 to this specified size?

is mpeg2 which DVBViewer makes uncompressed? will compressed video (divx?) allways have less quality?

i tried to convert recorded file to divx with DVD2AVI.exe from gordianknot and image quality was allways worse than original.

heres what i tried and none work:

- gordian knot

- avi2mpg2.exe

- TMPGEnc

and i read all related posts on this forum.

unbelievable, i just want to compress recorded file and convert it to some standard format so i can cut it.

by the way, recording RAI 2 on hotbird. when i view it doesnt play good. no recorded file from hotbird plays good.

Hello tskoda,

first of all: mpeg2 already is a compressed format - always. Otherwise it would be impossible to handle the video - too big.

divx is a way to compress it even more - and more effectivly, too. But if you try to squeeze a movie with a length of 90 minutes on a 700 MByte CD, there always will be a loss of quality. Try to divide it into 2 parts on two CDs - then you might get the original quality.

I did a lot of divx conversion in the last time, and I used Vidomi (freeware) with best results. You get it at http://www.vidomi.com/

It works optimally with the divx 3.11a codec. You get it from http://planetmirror.com/pub/divx/windows/d...x_3.11alpha.zip

Vidomi is quite easy to use. It allows to cut the movie before converting it. You can tell Vidomi something like "Encode this movie so that I get a filesize of 699 MBytes" by using the two pass encoding option (one pass for bitrate statistics, second pass for encoding), which is quite slow, but produces very good quality.

I hope this helps... :rolleyes:

Griga

i tried vidomi. when i try to open mpg file recorded with some a little older version of DVBViewer it says:

"Corrupt or Invalid File! Init read returned an error."

even if i try to fix mpg file with dvbfix its same

Strange - I never encountered this problem, since I used Vidomi - now for one and a half month or so. But I can't remember with which version of the DVBViewer I started recording source files for divx conversion.

Maybe it's due to those odd mpeg data packets broadcasted by RAI...

Does it work with the latest DVBViewer release?

Griga

Then I just don't know... as I said: Up to now every single conversion of my DVBViewer files to divx with vidomi was succesfull. I'm sorry that it doesn't work in your case.

Maybe the TV stations you record cause the problem... or the mpeg decoder in your system... did you try the Elecard decoder?

Griga

"Corrupt or Invalid File! Init read returned an error."

use DVD2AVI it works with these corrupt files.

If you make a project you can also load this project in TMPenc as Videosource. I dont know whether this work in vidomi.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I use:

DVD2Avi to open the recorded stream and make the project, demux audio stream

AviSynth as frameserver to open the project and to deinterlace, resize...

VirtualDub (opening .AVS file) to compress in DivX, XViD...

BeSweet to compress audio stream in MP3 or OggVorbis

NanDub or VirtualDubMOD to mux video and audio (the first for .AVI, the second for .OGM).

The result: simply perfect :-)

bye